Weird Dilemma...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DimeTech, Sep 13, 2012.

1. DimeTech, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

DimeTech macrumors member

I've been with ATT since the iPhone 3g launch. Upgraded to the iPhone 4 on launch day (sometime in June if I remember correctly). Contract was up June '12 and have been waiting for the new iPhone patiently. Upgrade status as of July '12 has been 9/7/12. Cool. Just in time (even though that's 26 months if you're counting).

Let me back up and say that I have been late on payment a couple times, but never more than a week or two, currently in good standing).

Checked status today and it says 5/18/13. I'm like huh?! Call em up and they say since I've been late a couple times, they pushed back my upgrade date. I'm like ok......thats kinda ****ed up. They charge a late fee regardless so its not like i'm jerking them around. I'm out of contract, just want to resign and they wont let me. I call em back, run through a couple people, supervisors, etc, they all say I can't upgrade. I tell them I've never had any problems with ATT and don't want to switch if I don't have to, but i WILL leave cuz I aint sticking around waiting 35 months for a new phone. that's ridiculous. Point is...regardless of a late payment, how you gonna mess with a dude's upgrade? Guess I'm going back to Big Red tonight...

PS I've got a grandfathered unlimited plan I don't really want to part with either. Any suggestions?

2. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Have you considered Sprint? Cheaper than ATT and Verizon, roams on verizons network for free with data if you're worried about coverage, free mobile to mobile any carrier all the time, and unlimited data and text, and more. I love them.

3. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Kinda scared me. Last couple of payments were a few (3-4?) days late because I forgot. Just checked and I'm still good. Phew!

I'd call CS and really push. If they say no tell them you want to cancel. That will put you through to retentions who will most likely take care of you. If not, leave.

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

First off, that really sucks if they moved your upgrade date. Are you POSITIVE something else did not take place along the way. Replacement phone? Is there another phone on your account?

Still, not paying a bill on time is looking for trouble. Guessing you have some hits on your credit score as well?

I think it is sorta weird that the date move from Sept 7th to May 18th. Not like they added even months.

Weird.

5. DimeTech thread starter macrumors member

I was always suspect of Sprint's coverage compared to VZW. Either way the plans all end up pretty much in the same range and I'm mostly on WIFI and normally average probably 500MB a month, unless I'm tethering ;) This is totally messed up cuz it's for a dumb reason. It's no sweat off my back to switch to whatever carrier, just a PITA.

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Wait a second. Are you saying you are off contract, but still not eligible for an upgrade?

7. DimeTech thread starter macrumors member

It's more annoying than anything and I'd rather not even waste another minute getting shuffled around on the phone. Yes, off contract, and upgrade date is 5/18/13. totally ****ed with.

8. takasugi macrumors regular

Sounds like you should check to see if you can get coverage from another carrier before you make the move. If AT&T won't let you upgrade out of contract, you may have a tough time getting service with anyone without a deposit or prepaid.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

If you're off contract, it really makes no sense. You really should talk to retention.

10. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Exactly.

Just cancel that line and add another.

11. DimeTech thread starter macrumors member

I guess I'll give it one last shot....

----------

I want to keep my number. I've had it for like 8 years.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You have to call and ask to cancel, that gets you through to retention. You can always back down if they start to go through with it. I've done it before. ;). Then you can keep your number and port it out later.

13. DimeTech thread starter macrumors member

Thats exactly what happened earlier. I backed out needless to say

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You got through to retention and they still did nothing? Yeah, try again.

15. DimeTech thread starter macrumors member

OK. Sort of have a solution. Tell me what you guys think. Finally got ahold of someone who could remedy this. He said he could do a "upgrade and override" where he would override the upgrade date and get me the iPhone 5 at new contract pricing. But alas, one more wrench in the plan. I have been sitting on a $100 apple gift card for the past couple months waiting for this day, so it needs to be purchased through apple. ATT say nothing can be done because Apple accesses the system that says 5/13. Some more negotiating gets them to cover the amount of the gift card by offering 6 months free unlimited texts (which would cost $120) OK i say. That sounds ok. So how do I preorder? He tells me I can't preorder cuz the phone isn't in the system yet. I need to wait until the 21st then call ATT and order it. Not the most polished solution and annoying that I can't preorder to get it day 1, but at the end of the day I get to keep my plan. I can't always change my mind if I have to if they give me grief again.