Weird dreams

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Jan 22, 2016.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

After watching all the back and forth with the ridiculous mess that is the GOP, stress of prostate exam, religious conservatives, and one too many alien movies, I had a great dream last night.

OK, secret to the universe, now I know it. ;) :

I go to doc for prostate exam, doc puts me under, they freeze dry me, I go to another alien dimension, and they enlist me against my wishes to join their religion, Mormonism.

WTF, well it's a dream...

The plan is to spread religion and for me to procreate. For some reason only men get freeze dried, can live without air, but oddly both sexes travel between dimensions. Most of us live in compounds in the middle of the country but not the coasts.

But men shape shift from a dry, powder like being into flesh and blood human and this change happens every night.

Besides a single faith, and only alliances with Southern Baptists and conservative Catholics, there are rules like no abortion and oddly, no condoms. It's also expected we are to be republicans and worship Glenn Beck, Fox, Mitt Romney, Ted Cruz, or Donald Trump.

Earlier rules like no use of cars left a great need, and one of our Mormon brothers, Ben Affleck, made a car company, convinced all the aliens cars were necessary, and made a mint.

I came up with the idea of overturning the ban on condoms and making money selling them with my own condom company. Then I woke up, and thought I had answer to universe, or at least a good idea to make money.

Too funny, but still just a dream and not attack on any religious beliefs or political leanings

Share your weird dreams.

2. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Yeah, not normal. Politics shouldn't be life, man.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I always hate it when I rain on parades ... yet I can't keep myself from doing it.

I hate listening to dreams. My wife still occasionally tries to tell me long, and [seemingly] endless stories about the wild and crazy thing she dreamed about the night before, but I could really not care less.

A dream should be summed up in 30 seconds or less ... otherwise ...zzzZZzZZZzzz.

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

OK then. I usually don't remember dreams. When I do, they're short but usually fun.

Last week I dreamed I came out of my barn with a sheaf of dried lavender, and as I turned to head for the house, a young guy stepped out from the shrubs, smiling, and then raised a handgun to fire at me, point-blank.

I woke up. A cat was standing on my arm with one paw on my face... breakfast call. :eek:

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

While I've have a number of gun/shooter dreams, I can only remember one or two in which I've been the target. Mostly I'm a witness to someone else being shot, or seeing a person with a gun without a shooting occurring.

A reoccurring dream for me is golf. But I always spend the entire dream setting up for the shot, which is usually some ridiculous circumstance, and rarely if ever actually hitting the golf ball.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I've had dreams like that too. Laying out items on the kitchen table as if to make some recipe, but I never get past the setup. Get impatient with it, wake up exasperated.

8. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

[​IMG]

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well Godwin hasn't shown up yet, it does have that going for it. ;)

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Turns out I had this dream where a bunch of cryptofascists started posting like mad in the political section of a website I frequent...:eek:

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Next time, if you're up for it, use your "big boy" words.

I'm sure you can do it.

12. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Don't like being called a Debbie Downer? Don't be one, chief.

13. chown33 macrumors 604

Needs more cats.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dream-Quest_of_Unknown_Kadath

Needs more ghouls.
    See above link.

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

You're right! I had the cat (outside the dream), but lacked the friendly ghouls to rescue me, and so had to wake to save myself. Love this part from your link, as I do wake to sunrise pouring into the room from a window in the back hallway this time of year. So cool that the sunset city of his dream is revealed at the sunrise waking to be his own room at home. :)

The seeming incongruity of the gunman smiling in my dream, the smile is where the cat enters the dream and obliterates him, becoming the friendly creature I suddenly wake to find putting a paw on my face.

Cool. My dream as highly compressed variant of a Lovecraft dream cycle. Who knew I'd learn this in the PRSI forum of all places... thanks! You sure have a quick eye for analogy.

15. 63dot, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016

63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Yes, this.

If not golf it could also be baseball or basketball but I rarely do the thing with the ball that I should be doing, if at all. It's just so frustrating my limbs get all sore and I am in pain when I wake up, not rested at all.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2016 ---
    I put it here because for some reason, the "Mormons" were the bad guys in the dream and some controlling group who had incredible powers. And second to them were the "evil" republicans. I know if I put this in the regular community section, someone would say I was picking a fight.

It just so turned out the bad guys were these basic religious conservatives, but on other nights it could be somebody or something else. I am a liberal but I have plenty of dreams where I am battling them, too.

Dreams rarely make sense to me, but instead of being frustrated like in Citizenzen's golf dream, I was elated like I discovered some big, unknown truth very few others knew about.

16. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I dreamt about my father last night. It was like we was both back in older times and I was on horseback goin' through the mountains of a night. Goin' through this pass in the mountains. It was cold, and there was snow on the ground, and he rode past me and kept on goin'. Never said nothin' goin' by. He just rode on past...and he had his blanket wrapped around him and his head down, and when he rode past, I seen he was carryin' fire in a horn, the way people used to do and I could see the horn from the light inside of it. 'Bout the color of the moon. And in the dream, I knew that he was goin' on ahead and he was fixin' to make a fire somewhere out there, in all that dark and all that cold. And I knew that whenever I got there he would be there. And then I woke up.

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Dreams are cool. A convoluted network of synapses randomly firing billions of times a second create a movie in our mind.

Cormac McCarthy's lawyers will be calling in the morning. :D
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2016 ---
    “Each night Father fills me with dread
    When he sits on the foot of my bed;
    I'd not mind that he speaks
    In gibbers and squeaks,
    But for seventeen years he's been dead.”

-- Ogdred Weary

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

How about the dream of another poet?

Excerpt from “Counting the Children” in Dana Gioia’s The Gods of Winter

That night I dreamt of working on a ledger,
    A book so large it stretched across my desk,
    Thousands of numbers running down each page.

I knew I had to settle the account,
    Yet as I tried to calculate the total,
    The numbers started slipping down the page.

Suddenly breaking up like Scrabble letters
    Brushed into a box to end a game,
    Each strained for word uncoupled back to nil.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That helps. I had no idea who that character was.

20. chown33 macrumors 604

If you liked the summary, you should read the actual stories. I enjoyed them more than some of the more "horroristic" of Lovecraft's other works. I thought they had a more lyrical quality, like some of the more fanciful Orientalist and "Arabian Nights" type of stories, and are a lighter but still engaging read than say the Chthulhu or "creeping terrors" stuff. Needless to say, they stuck in my mind, and whenever I encounter a nice-looking or well-mannered cat, I still think of these stories.

21. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Within the last two years I discovered Ramsey Campbell, a Brit who writes some real creepy supernatural and/or psychological weird fiction. He's been publishing since the mid-sixties so I'm surprised I didn't hear of him earlier. His early stuff is very Lovecraftish.