Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lapy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
Hello guys,
I'm having a weird issue with my rMBP 15'' 2013, CPU i7 2.7ghz, RAM 16gb, SSD 512gb (Sandisk stock).

When my laptop is hooked up to my external 23'' generic monitor via an original Apple miniDisplayPort to VGA adapter, and I do some disk intensive tasks (like iphoto photo imports, application setups, SSD benchmarks etc) my external monitor flickers, in the sense that it shows some fast electrical distortion all over the screen (like it doesn't turn off and on, like some youtube videos show referring to flickering). The distortion is minor but very noticeable, it reminds me of the old CRT monitors flicker... Nothing happens with my previous MacBooks (1 air, 1 mbp13, 1 mbp15, all 2010) and the same adapter/monitor setup. :confused:

On the retina integrated display there's nothing wrong at all!

What do you guys think it is? Anyone experienced this?

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
did you try using both ports? I think you should check with another monitor and if it occurs take it to apple with the video. It should not happen, however i will try it out in a while and see.

lapy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
did you try using both ports? I think you should check with another monitor and if it occurs take it to apple with the video. It should not happen, however i will try it out in a while and see.

I tried both ports, nothing changes, I tried another monitor and another VGA cable, same result. I called Apple and they never heard of this problem, they want me to bring my laptop to them. The thing is that I need it to work. I've a samsung retina display, I'm scared I'll get my macbook back with an LG one..

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
i tried the same thing stressed it with intensive apps no flicker. DO take it back to apple dont worry about samsung or lg panels i had my panel replaced this month which was a samsung and what i got was a samsung. If it fails you have warranty if not think about apple care to be on the safer side.

lapy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
i tried the same thing stressed it with intensive apps no flicker. DO take it back to apple dont worry about samsung or lg panels i had my panel replaced this month which was a samsung and what i got was a samsung. If it fails you have warranty if not think about apple care to be on the safer side.

Thanks for your help, I'll try to bring it to Apple, my warranty is valid till june 2014.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.