Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kendrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
We have a Black Mac (5500) with a G3 card and OS 8.6.

Can anyone explain why some files' ....Get Info/General Information/size details.... do not correlate on one storage device - and also be inconsistent between storage devices?
For example:
On one HD a file may be.... “25.1 MB on disk (14,776,933 bytes) for 148 items”.... whereas the same file on another HD or Zip disk will read.... ‘14.5 MB on disk (14,776,933 bytes) for 148 items’....
Very mystifying to me.

Also, is there a preferred antispam app. for 8.6 out there? We are deluged by more and more unsolicited emails each day. Outlook Express 5.02 junks all new addresses but they need regular screening for deletion.

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
It seems like you have a lot of small files. The explanation is that there is a minimum file, or block size for every HD setup, ie. 4K, so even if you have a blank text file which doesn't actually contain 4K of data, it takes up 4K of space on the HD. If this block size is larger, then more space will be taken up with each file. Additionally, if a file contains 5K of data and the block size is 4K, the file will take up 8K of HD space.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
If you don't have a spam-handling e-mail client, you could sign up for a server-based spam-filter. I use Spamcop, with it set up to receive my e-mail at one address, filter out the junk, and forward it to me at another address. This isn't the only such service, it's just the one I picked. Spamcop service is $30/year. Maybe there are even free services that do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.