Weird glitchy guest profile

macjoshua

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
When I start up my MBP, there's a weird, glitchy icon for a guest profile that faintly looks like my profile pic. When I try to enter it, it asks for a password, which I do not know. I have the guest user account disabled on my Mac, and there are no extra folders or hidden files in the User folder.

Any ideas how to get rid of this 'ghost' or corrupted account?

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
Open Terminal from Spotlight:

Once there type the following sudo command:

sudo fdesetup remove -user Guest

then, enter your password that you use to log in to your system as an administrator, and press the Return key

Finally, Restart the computer, and the icon will be gone.

Reactions: macjoshua

macjoshua

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
Open Terminal from Spotlight:

Once there type the following sudo command:

sudo fdesetup remove -user Guest

then, enter your password that you use to log in to your system as an administrator, and press the Return key

Finally, Restart the computer, and the icon will be gone.

That did it. Thanks! Such a bizarre glitch - almost made me wonder if there was some crazy malware on my computer somehow!

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
That did it. Thanks! Such a bizarre glitch - almost made me wonder if there was some crazy malware on my computer somehow!
No problem. I was doing my daily browsing of the forums and saw your thread and I literally had the same issue hours prior to seeing your post. I found the fix on another forum and copied and pasted it into the notes app on my phone just in case it happens again. Glad it worked for your too!