Weird how the 15rMBP had a lot of praise but the 13rMBP is getting alot of negatives

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theuserjohnny, Oct 28, 2012.

1. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

I mean aside from the screen retention and such the rMBP15 was getting a lot of praise.

This time around the "most popular notebook" (for Apple) is getting a lot of hate.

2. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

3. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

The retina display seems 'old news' and forgotten since the 15 inch came out first and a LOT of people are comparing those two instead of apple 13 retina to other manufacturers.. which is part of the reason..

If the 13 inch came out first.. I HIGHLY doubt the hate would've been this intense..

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

-Price - especially when compared to the 15
    -No discrete GPU
    -No quad core option
    -No 16GB RAM option

Not to mention, they were aware of the image retention issues by now but obviously no progress..

I'll take a 13" over a 15" any day, but not this one. I'd look elsewhere before I'd consider this one.

5. sno1man macrumors regular

Lots of jealous 13 inch cMBP owners because they don't have the latest/greatest anymore.

They didn't gripe about the 15 because they had the "much more portable" option so the 15 wasn't a comparison.

6. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

Added to it.. ;)

7. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

And?

8. phinsup macrumors 6502

phinsup

I went to the Apple store today, going with the 15" instead of the 13", just doesn't make sense to go down in specs from current macbook pro 13" which is ssd, 16 gigs of ram. I'd be losing more then I am gaining.

I will say this it does make the 15" rMBP seem like a bargain LOL

9. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

That is total speculation. Apple maintains 40% margins across their product line, and makes no secret about it. If this is overpriced, so is everything else they make.

We have no idea what the cost of the screen is to manufacture, and how good/bad the yields are at the moment.

There is no one else shipping screens like this. It is new technology, and new technology is expensive, starting out.

10. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

THIS.

Why are so many unable to accept that the pricing of the 13" Retina is an EPIC FAIL?

Instead they continue to devote hours of creative brain energy working themselves into a psychotic delusional state of mind wherein this MacBook is somehow being unfairly scrutinized. Then, in this psychotic state of mind these individuals take to the internet in search of others in an attempt to form an army of fanboys and rally the troops to get out their credit card, hold it extended in their right hand, raise it upward in the Roman salute and march forward as one to make this MacBook a sales hit for their religion and nation known as Apple.

11. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I think that the 13" rMBP will be a run away best seller for Apple. Sure, there will be a lot of on-line folks who will whine and bitch, mainly because the price point is too high for them. If the 13" rMBP was $1,000.00 less expensive what would the reviews be then? But it is not, and that has a lot to do with the supply and demand of not only that laptop but of all of the components that go in to it.

12. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

Over-generalise much?!

If you can name me one alternative to the 13 inch pro for cheaper I will gladly return my 13 retina (for which I paid in cash) and which replaced my only other Apple device (a 2007 macbook).

List of items it needs to have...

13 inch form factor
    Full spec processor (none of that low power ultrabook rubbish)
    8Gb of Ram
    High res screen
    quality case
    quality trackpad
    Thin and light weight design

Please oh please enlighten me to my options so I can save some money...

13. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Timing plays an important part in any new release.

Apple has pissed off a lot of people with it's bully tactics against others in the industry.

The demise of Apples ultra successful hype machine, with it's smoke & mirrors keynotes have also begun to take it's toll.

Androids getting better & better, especially due to it's highly useful & very spacious displays that are within just a few pixels of retina.

All this ads up to a slow erosion in Apples shiny surface.

Combined with a less than stellar iPhone 5 launch, and the end result is more scrutiny & less forgiveness for Apples shortcomings.

14. sno1man macrumors regular

Funny thing though, It's the haters that scream the loudest and act "psychotic"

The proof is in all posts here.

15. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

You're completely right.. Android offers a better and cheaper alternative to the iPhone 5.. which I consider to be inferior in pretty much 80% of the aspects to an SIII, but this has nothing to do with their mac pro line..

..and I hold on to my question above and ask anyone to offer me some alternatives.. I spent 3 months looking for one, but maybe I missed something.. :rolleyes:

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, as an owner of the 15" rMBP, I can't justify the cost of the 13". It should not be as high as it is.

17. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Take a deep breath and relax.

18. AirThis macrumors 6502a

The PB5300/100... Now that was an epic fail of titanic proportions. Overpriced and fire prone.

If you don't like Apple's pricing of the 13" rMBP, then buy a cMBP. Or a PC. Or a tablet. Or just keep on using your Android phone. Truth is, Apple has never been a charity organisation. This particular model is no different to what's been done in the past.

19. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

In my opinion, and others may have already said this, the 13" pro retina... Needs a dedicated/discrete video card IMO.

At this point just get the 13" air and save a few bucks.

----------

For once I completely agree.

20. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Maybe that's the idea ;)

21. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Making things smaller do not mean less expensive. And sometimes more expensive.

It is what it is. Most people buying this machine could probably care less about the dedicated GPU.

Apple stuff is always expensive, but in the end normally worth the premium!

22. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

The next best alternative would be to simply opt for the 13" air, forgo the high-res display and save the money.

Compare the 2 prices, I cannot believe apple is charging so much just for a better screen. The laptop ends up being thicker and heavier as well (if you really want to nitpick the differences between the 2), and the high res display may end up being more of a liability because it will surely tax the system more. We already hear reports of the 15" retina pro lagging even when on discrete graphics.

It's like the whole ipad3 fiasco all over again (by now, it is pretty obvious its A5x chip was not adequate to power the retina display). The fact that Apple has to cram the pro chock-full of batteries shows just how power-thirsty the retina display is, the unlikelihood of seeing a retina air anytime soon, and that improvements in battery tech seems to have come to a standstill.

In short, I feel the 13" retina pro is just not ready. Do you expect to just slap on a high res screen onto an existing laptop without changing anything else and believe it will just work?

23. leman macrumors 604

Well, the 15" is an excellent machine and competitively priced, given the other machines in its class (yes, windows workstations with similar performance/mobility/battery/quality are also around 2k)

The 13" is just too expensive... the price would have been more or less ok with a default 256GB SSD

24. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Less than stellar? The best iPhone launch ever and a record breaking amount of sales is less than stellar? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

25. Liquinn Suspended