Weird image retention issue after Mojave update

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Bimmicus, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Bimmicus macrumors newbie

Bimmicus

iMac 27" late 2013 here. Shortly after updating from Sierra to Mojave, I noticed that any windows or applications left open for 5 minutes or longer are producing some very noticeable image ghosting on my display. These artifacts intensify over time, and show up as reddish images that are clearly of the open windows but not fully complete duplicates, and change depending on what has been open. Running a screensaver or turning the display off will cause them to fade, but nothing I've done so far has prevented them from recurring almost immediately.

I tried booting into my emergency partition, which is running 10.10 Yosemite, to see if I could duplicate the issue:; after several hours of trying, things remained normal as they had been before the update to 10.14. so I can only conclude that it is a software issue. After doing some digging, I found that people have been reporting this issue on High Sierra as well, and that it may be Metal-related, but if there's a fix short of backdating the OS I haven't found one.

Has anyone else experienced this? And has Apple said anything about it at all?

2. rcoden macrumors newbie

rcoden

I have a 2013 27' iMac as well and occasionally experience this. A reboot will get rid of the ghosting effect for me. This happened on both High Sierra and Mojave. It is an annoyance at best and I hope it is corrected via a software update. Can you share a URL of where other people have been discussing this subject?

3. Bimmicus thread starter macrumors newbie

Bimmicus

I started an identical thread on the Apple forums, where someone suggested I boot into Safe Mode to see if the problem persists: I did and it doesn't. So, it is a 3rd-party software conflict of some sort. Something to go on, at least.

(I was only able to find one old thread on the Apple forums where this specific issue was being discussed, and while several spoke up about having the problem no solutions were found -- will update here as i get more info from the other thread)

4. ozoova macrumors newbie

I noticed the same screen retention issue too, immediately after the Mojave update.
    1. 2012 iMac connected to a thunderbolt Apple display.
    2. The thunderbolt Apple display has not been affected thankfully.
    3. I'm super not stoked about how this is cramping my workflow.

5. alkar macrumors regular

I had this issue on my 2013 iMac.

But it occurred in Sierra too...