Weird issue with Plextor PX-880SA SATA DVD writer in Mac Pro (Early 2008)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by michels, Sep 16, 2010.

1. michels macrumors newbie

Weird issue with Plextor PX-880SA SATA DVD writer in Mac Pro (Early 2008)

Hi,

I've replaced the PATA DVD Drive in my Mac Pro (Early 2008) with a SATA Plextor PX-880SA. I'm running OSX Snow Leopard with all recent updates.

Everything seems to work fine. The weird thing is that periodically and quite often the PX-880SA makes a noise. It's the same noise the drive makes when you insert a CD or DVD, most probably a seek.

Is this behaviour normal? E.g. does the Mac Pro or OSX periodically perform a seek?
    If so, can I turn this off somehow?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

Michel.

2. OppositeLock macrumors newbie

I've had the same issue, and I've done a bunch of debugging. My original Apple/NEC/Sony/Optiarc drive failed, and I put in a generic PATA Plextor. Every few minutes it does the disk check. I also tried Asus, Lite-On and LG drives, and they all exhibit the same behavior. I tried it in three different Mac Pro's, two on Snow Leopard and one on Leopard, and the results are exactly the same, non-apple DVD drives do random disk checks every few minutes, Apple branded ones do not.

I've given up, I'm paying $250 for a craptastic Apple SuperDrive which costs 8x as much and doesn't work as well as an $40 plextor.

3. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Guys, I am curious: have you ripped any movies with your plextors?

I'd like to know how much faster a new drive compared to my old stock SD.

It takes me 25-35 min to rip a 8 GB DVD. Compression is faster!

Could you download the trial of Ripit and 'Compress' a disc. Let me know what disc you rip and I'll try the same test.

http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/

4. OppositeLock macrumors newbie

The Plextor is a little bit faster at ripping, but not much. It takes 15-20 minutes to rip a DVD, depending on size. The biggest difference is that the Plextor is MUCH better at handling scratched discs than the Apple POS.

5. Einz macrumors regular

Einz

6. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Thanks man! I think I am going to go pick a new drive today. I still have about 30 films and 40 TV seasons to rip LOL.