Weird, my Wifi iPad knows my location, and wifi is turned off...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by likemyorbs, Jul 2, 2010.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Now i know the wifi ipad does not have a gps chip and it can tell your location by wifi. but my wifi was turned off and some how google earth still pinpointed my location. how would that happen?

Attached Files:

2. Capt T macrumors 6502a

3. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

maybe, but the pin was lingering around the neighborhood and then settled on my house. i found it interesting. its as if it has some other way of telling your location

4. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Thats weird, but hey, it wont know your location in a few minutes when your battery dies!

5. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

haha, yeah i was trying to drain the battery to calibrate it. and it worked!

6. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

It could be using your ip address and getting information from your ISP or the big govnerment data base. Mine sometimes knows my location and I have a wifi only model.

7. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Read the post, my wifi is turned off. And yes when it's turned on it locates by ip

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

9. melman101 macrumors 68030

I don't even know how you got Google Earth to load if your wifi was turned off.

It just errors out on me when I try to load it with wifi off.

Ok, first load of Google Earth with Wifi off, says Cant connect to network. Please quit than try again... Then I turned wifi on and loaded google earth and got my location. Then I exited and turned off wifi, and then I went back in and it let me continue without network, and it got my location based on last known location. Thats all it is.

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

When no wifi or gps information is available it settles on your registered address.

11. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Haha, no it's marlboro hs

12. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I got that message and continued to use it anyway...

13. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Mine just asks whether I would like to use the cached maps when I open the app without WiFi on [on my WiFiPad].

14. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Okay, I installed Google Earth (not maps) and it put me in the correct city, but was off on the street. It may default to a certain area in each town. I turned off wifi, and reopened app. It said could not connect but will use previous data.

15. Rojoyinc macrumors newbie

I wanna know

I I've on a lake, took pics on the lake... No gps and no wifi out there... Moving on the boat... The map under photos pin pointed each spot on the lake where each photo was taken. Wifi and ip locations cant do that!

Also are there any arrow keys on. iPad? Sometimes when on a forum entering text in a window, I need to arrow up or down and I can't do it any such kb controls ?

16. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; HTC_EVO3D_X515m; en-sg) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16)

Re your first point- I'm not sure how it did it but there's definitely no GPS on the WiFi iPad.

And no there aren't any arrow keys. Just tap where you want to insert text (tap and hold for a magnifying glass to finely place the blinking cursor).

Also, you might have been better suited to create a new thread on your second question. It's not related to the original topic and this is a year old thread.