Weird problem: Tearing my hair out here!! Unable to get an IP address from network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ollie Cromwell, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Ollie Cromwell macrumors member

Ollie Cromwell

This is going to sound like a really silly problem but for the life of me I cannot work out what is going on.

I am trying to connect my MBP to a work windows network, it is a WPA encrypted network running via DHCP. there are no Access control lists blocking my machine but I cannot get the network to assign me an ip address. I can connect to the network but cannot do anything without an ip.

The weird thing is if I boot up Parralels and run Xp on my machine as a virtual machine XP gets assigned an ip address and I can get on the net etc, that is how I am typing this message in fact.

I am running 10.5.4

Also, a colleague has a Macbook running 10.5.2 and that connects no problem. I have checked all the settings on my machine and this macbook are the same.

My firewall is not the issue.

So I know I have the correct password and can connect but for some reason I cannot get an ip address. I have dhcp enabled on the MBP for this connection.

I have tried creating clean accounts and seeing if the issue is to do with my user setup and that does not make a difference.

Help!

I dont want to have to use my lovely Mac with Parrallels forever at work just to send email and check the web.

Any ideas?

2. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

I had a similar problem but with me LAN port on my MacBook. When I had connected to the network it would assign a IP like 243.124.0.23 and wouldnt let me do anything internet wise. I assigned a static IP and this seemed to work fine, but was no use as I use the MB on different wired networks.

What worked for me was to remove the network connection completely from the preferences pane, reboot and add a create a new one. This then got me an IP from the network I was trying to connect to.

You could try running the following from the terminal to set an IP for your device:

ifconfig en0 down
    ifconfig en0 ***.***.***.*** up

Where ***.***.***.*** is enter a valid free IP from the network your connecting too. Also remember to replace the en0 with which ever device your using.

Hope this helps