Weird request: can I use my macbook (connecting to my router via wifi) as a wireless

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by willryan42, Feb 4, 2014.

1. willryan42 macrumors regular

Backstory: My bedroom gets really ****** wifi reception. We've had AT&T come out and they don't know why... blah blah blah, that stuff doesn't matter. Wifi sucks, but for some reason my macbook seems to get better connection than my iphone and ipad. So I'd like to somehow use it to piggyback off my router and create a second, hopefully stronger access point.

Is this possible? I know you can turn an ethernet connected computer into a wireless router, but not sure about a wifi connected one. And no, I have no ethernet jacks in my room to connect macbook via that.

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

It's called reverse tethering. You can do it for your iPad over Bluetooth when your Mac is on wifi. Unfortunately it is not supported for the iPhone.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The only time I've ever used a computer as a router, it was back before wireless was a "thing" - and you needed 2 ethernet NIC's to do it, so you had a LAN address and a WAN address. A single wireless device inside your MacBook may not be able to do this.

If all you want is a wireless AP and not a router, they're pretty inexpensive. Might be the better way to go.

4. willryan42 thread starter macrumors regular

Weird that this isn't supported on the iPhone, but I might check it out. Do I just pair computer to iPad and choose some "internet sharing" option?

And @Tomorrow: I may look into a wireless AP. Would that just connect through a phone line jack in my room and piggyback off my main router downstairs? If I have an old router could I use that somehow? I was hoping there was an easier (and free) solution to this but maybe not.

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You could put a wifi repeater in your bedroom.

Preferences / Sharing : check "Internet sharing", plus select : from wifi to PAN Bluetooth.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Phone jack? :confused: What kind of internet are you using?

If your router is wireless, your wireless access point will connect to it wirelessly. You could use a router as an access point, but if you have to buy something it's probably cheaper to get an AP instead.

7. willryan42 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm worried that a wifi repeater/access point/second router in my room would be just as ****** since things have a hard time connected wirelessly in here (besides my macbook it seems).

@Tomorrow: Haha, I have U-Verse, but I only have phone jacks in this bedroom (no ethernet ports).

8. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

I remember doing something like this a little while ago. Your Mac needs to be connected over Ethernet, then you can go into the Wi-Fi menu and hit Create Network (or something like that.)

9. l3it3r macrumors regular

l3it3r

Windows 7 + Connectify. I Don't think that OS X can support the solution you're looking for. :(

10. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Yeah, pretty much. I got it working for my iPad recently when traveling in Europe and allowed only a single wifi login at my hotel.

It was once supported on the iPhone, long ago, but then the capability was removed in a subsequent version of iOS and has not returned. Bummer-- it's a nice capability.

11. moonman239 macrumors 68000

As mentioned before, your Mac cannot share its wireless connection over WiFi.

I suggest that you buy either a wireless repeater or another router. There are a few routers out there that can be used as a repeater.

12. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Your best bet would be get a good wireless dual router like the Airport Extreme then get in you hallways or bedroom an Airport Express and set it up to be an extender for your bedroom. This way your N cable Mac Book can be on a true 5 GHz wireless network (if you setup the N frequencies to use the Hundreds range) while older devices can use the G mode of the Extreme/Express.