Weird scratching noise coming out of my MBP..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kinkster, Aug 16, 2009.

1. kinkster macrumors 6502a

I first heard this about a month ago and in total Iv heard it about 4 times.

It's a strange scratching noise lasting about a second that comes out from my 13 inch MBP. It seems to be coming from whatever part is under the top, center part of the keyborad, around the F7 key.

It definitly sounds like something going a little wrong, not a sound Iv ever heard a hard drive make.

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

3. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

While it use to happen about once a week now Iv gotten it about 8 times today.

4. tallguy macrumors regular

The only logical explanation is there are gremlins in your computer.

Maybe it's just the hard drive making some sounds?

5. nuncupatory macrumors member

Just out of curiosity, is the sound you're talking about similar to any of the scratching sounds found at this website:
    http://www.datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

Anyway, I hope you've got your stuff backed up, just in case.

6. bakerster macrumors regular

f7? most likely the fan area. hd is near the trackpad.

genius bar time.

7. Ixesin macrumors newbie

most likely not your hard drive as hard drive is located on the right side of the touch pad. Its most likely the fan has something stuck in it or there are some loose ball bearings that are making the noise in the fan itself.

8. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help. I tried those hard drive failure sounds and some of the "bad media" ones sounded pretty close.

Okay. Should I just take it in and tell them what's going on? I don't think I'll be able to show them unless a genius just stands there for 30 minutes waiting for it to happen. Maybe if I send them some emails about it there'll be a record of it so if it breaks later or something they'll know what it was?

Should I also try opening it up and having a look? Would I be able to look at the fans and stuff without voiding the warranty?

I think I'll also try to make this thing heat up to get the fans running and see if I can make it happen.

What would a ball bearing be linked to? Part of the fan?

9. Ixesin macrumors newbie

Yep, it doesn't have to be ball-bearing, but normally theres a bearing of some sorts which allows the fan to spin quietly and efficiency... I'd take it to the apple store and tell them.

10. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay. I need to make a Genius appointment for that right? I have another problem(cracked white iphone), i can have them both looked at at one appointment right?