Weird whirring sound on 2015 15" AMD mbp when pressing the up/down/right arrow keys (have video)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SheridanMac, Oct 21, 2016.

1. SheridanMac macrumors member

I took a video of it to document what I started experiencing today. It's intermittent (not doing it right now), but my mbp is a refurbished model with one month left in its warranty and worried it's going to get worse.. Hoping it's not a big deal. Does anyone here have any knowledge/experience with this issue? Thanks.

2. jerryk macrumors 68040

Since you have a month of warranty left and this video, take it in.

I bet replace the keyboard and even the logic board

3. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Sounds like a standard error beep that you get when you press a key that has no action tied to it.

What app is open when you did that video? Do you get the same sound with ANY app open.
    Do you get the same sound when pressing the arrow keys when you have a different app open?
    Try TextEdit. Type in a few lines of random characters, place the cursor somewhere in the middle, then press arrow keys a few times.
    Close TextEdit, then open any Finder window.
    Press the arrow keys. Up or down should move a bold selection up or down in a file list (or changing selected icons if in icon view
    Do you get the same sound, even when the selection moves on your screen as you press up or down?

4. SheridanMac thread starter macrumors member

It's intermitten and I haven't been able to reproduce it on demand yet, but haven't tried all the ideas you suggested so will get on that. Thank you!

But the sound to my ears doesn't sound like it is any kind of alert, but more like the result of some mechanical/electrical issue.

5. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

That would mean that the sound is not coming from the speakers, so if you heard the sound, and plugged in headphones, you would hear the sound through your headphones, too.
    If not, hopefully when you hear it next, you can note what application that you are using when it happens... :D

6. SheridanMac thread starter macrumors member

I feel a little stupid now. Had completely forgot that I had briefly changed my speaker output a couple days ago and in doing so somehow also accidentally changed my alert sound from the default "funk" to "blow". Glad there's nothing wrong with macbook pro!