Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
With my iMac 600 (G3), every now and then, there is a sound like a drive spinning down almost, except its way shorter than when the HD spins down on HD sleep...and it does come from around the cd drive so..do I have like a mutant computer or something? anyone else know what I mean?

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
no...thats too obvious...I've heard it 4 times since I started this thread...its like a really subtle spindown of nothing really..

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
no, what I was saying that, it could be the CD drive spinning up with/without a CD in it, which would suggest to me that the CD drive was at fault.

It happens on a HD in a raid setup I have at work, doesn't slow to a stop just slows down slightly and then spins up again, the one here has been doing it for 2 years and we have no problems :)

I would still take the machine in to an Apple dealer and get it checked out, just in case :)

The reason the sound comes from the CD drive is that the HD is below it and its the only place sound can easily come out of.

Ensign

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.