Welcome Back, Berlusconi!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, May 17, 2008.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/17/italy

Fear of the Other. It's always just under the surface, isn't it? It only takes an unscrupulous politician to encourage it.

2. MacHipster macrumors 6502

3. Queso macrumors G4

This has been going on in Italy for a while. Here's another related story from last year.

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/17/italy.g8

It's not an easy read, but it gives a shocking example of the - dare I say it - acceptable "fascist" ideology and behaviour that permeates the delightful Mr. Berlusconi's stints as leader of Italy.

5. szark macrumors 68030

szark

That Genoa story is very disturbing. I can't even imagine what it must have been like for those people.

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Do not think that cannot happen here too. I know you did not address that subject, or even suggest it. I was in Seattle during the WTC summit. Some local citizens were among the marchers/protestors. However, the ones who did the vandalism and looting, were from out of town. Police where brought in from many nearby jurisdictions. It was these police officers, and sheriff deputies, who did most of the brutalizing. The people of Seattle, including the police, were all scratching out heads, wondering what the hell is going on. We are not like that here, on either side of the fence. These things just get out of hand.

Homeland security has built numerous large detention facilities. They also have security arrangements with Blackwater, and that ilk. All it would take is an all-powerful security agency, who is answerable to no one, and a government, not afraid to use excessive force, and willing to trample our constitutional rights, to establish one-half of the equation. All they need is an enemy, like anyone who could be determined to be a domestic terrorist.

Any of this sound familiar?

7. mpw Guest

Of course it takes the media to get a politician's unscrupulous message to the public; Just because Berlusconi makes a statement it doesn't mean the italian media have to support it or even report it.... oh wait.