Welcome, Presidents Ivanka, Eric, Donald Jr, and Jared.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Nov 15, 2016.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, I guess this was not unexpected. Looks like Trump wants to start doing some serious delegation of authority. He's now asking to give Presidential-level security clearance to his children:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/11/14/trump-wants-secret-clearance-for-kids.html

This might be a hopeful sign (despite the fact that nepotism is illegal); I suspect these four would be somewhat more reliable in leading the ship of state. Being at least able to concentrate on one subject for more than a few minutes at a time would be a benefit, I think.

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

It's to give them access to part of the WH. Do you even know how a security clearance works? Do you realize that it simply means that they can get in touch with sensitive info without automatic investigation?
    It's like a US-Person contract. It's not that they have access to anything. Even the WH janitor must have it.
    I highly doubt that Trump will move forward with this (if he indeed asked, as all of this is speculation based on the ever present "anonymous sources"); the kids will have to request special permission and that's it.
    I bet he simply asked to investigate if it was proper, or necessary, to have them get a security clearance to make sure they don't end up in trouble.

3. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Er, that doesn't seem to be the sort of clearance in question here. Perhaps the guy who wrote the article is confused? Here's a quote:

Doesn't seem to me to be the same access normally granted to family members.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

He won't hire them. That would open for all sort of troubles. Plus, they finally got their hands on pappy's treasure!

5. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

What, his enormous pile of debt??? ;) Pappy's treasure is in selling his brand, as he has said so many times himself; and his brand is essentially himself. If he is removed from the business, it just isn't "Trump" any more, and I doubt it'll be worth much.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

This is a good 2015 article from one of the magazine I read as a good government employee. By Lu, Obama's commerce secretary:

http://m.govexec.com/management/201...tensions-2008-presidential-transition/122473/
    --- Post Merged, Nov 15, 2016 ---
    Well it's the brand of the POTUS!
    Kinda like Lincoln... the car ;)

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

If much Is left.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

We shall see!
    Forbes valued the brand at $3.7B in September.
    I am quite sure that when the elections are a distant memory - and Americans have a short memory and attention span - the brand will get a lot more value, especially since he won showing to the world that he's tough.
    However, in the long run much will depend on the quality of his presidency.
    To tell you the truth, I don't give a darn about his brand. Now that he's president I want him to improve the USA. I don't care if in 2020 or 2024 he gets out of the WH with one dollar in his pocket as total wealth.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You might not care, but Trump and his children sure would!

10. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Official: Trump's children have not sought security clearances
    Donald Trump's transition organization refuted a CBS report that the President-elect wants his children to have top-level security clearances.

A transition official said that Trump has not requested for his children that they be granted this type of clearance, nor did he expect that to occur.

"That's not something I'm expecting right now," the official said, according to pool reports.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-president-trump-agenda.2013754/page-2#post-23922030

11. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

So it was probably like someone suggested earlier. That he was just clarifying if his kids needed to be cleared. Then the progressive media gets the information and it gets blown up. The media might as well report that Trump wanted to give nuclear launch codes to Barron for a birthday present.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Well... best birthday present ever!!! ;)

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's already clear the Trump family intends to use his presidency to hawk their wares. Ivanka hawking a $10,00 bracelet she wore on 60 Minutes, the transition website talking about Melania selling jewelry on QVC. The word grifter comes to mind.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You confidently sound like the one without a clue. :) Granting clearances to family members just because of the clearance-required job a husband or wife has is unheard of. Now Presidents talk to their spouses, as do people with security clearances, how much I can't say, depends on the individual, but that's very dangerous if it ever slips out, besides being a violation of the trust placed on the person with the clearance.

I think the issue has been set aside, i.e. Trump may have asked about it, but is not pursuing it.

15. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Yep, I can see it now: My First ICBM!

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I will never deny this ;)

17. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Waitaminute! You were OK with letting Hillary keep her top secret clearance after she broke every rule on handling sensitive information, but think giving Trump's kids clearances is snark-worthy? #That'sWhyYouGotTrump

18. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Waitaminute! You care about the technical details about how an elected official stored documents on a secured server, but have no trouble letting another elected official just pass those documents around willy-nilly to his friends and family members? #Hypocrite

Personally, I think it was dumb for Clinton to try and keep her e-mails on a separate server. But I highly doubt she was trying to act against the country in any manner.

It's even more dumb to just hand out classified documents to your family members...

19. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

plus those family members that are running your businesses.

20. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Please provide proof to back up your claim that Trump is passing classified documents around "willy-nilly", i.e., in violation of rules handling such materials.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Well, well, well. Turns out security clearances were requested for the kids. Of course, they blamed it on a "low level staffer". Wondering if it's the same one they blames many tweets on during the campaign. In what world are we supposed to believe that a low level staffer would do that on their own?

22. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I'm not saying that he has passed around classified documents to family members, I'm saying that he's trying to pass around classified documents to family members. He asked for his children to have presidential-level clearance. (How much you want to bet that even if they don't get clearance, he'll still use them as his personal advisors on secret issues? It isn't like Trump has a whole lot of people he can rely on to advise him...)

23. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I'm still waiting for someone to explain why Trump's kids, being on the transition team as they are, shouldn't have clearances.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 16, 2016 ---
    So he's not doing anything wrong. So your claim I was being a hypocrite was bogus. Apology accepted.

24. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Pretty much anyone is allowed on a "transition team" -- that isn't a formal government office. But a transition team isn't allowed presidential-level clearances, so far as I know; you have to actually be an elected official or a government employee for that.

Washington Post article with more info:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...that-apply-and-dont-apply-to-trumps-children/

In particular, here's the official line on employing your kids:

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

A most excellent rule imo.