Welcome to the dawn of the Carbon Age!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rasmasyean, Oct 20, 2008.

1. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

Buckypaper is 10 times lighter but potentially 500 times stronger than steel when sheets of it are stacked and pressed together to form a composite. Unlike conventional composite materials, though, it conducts electricity like copper or silicon and disperses heat like steel or brass.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gY3jWGn-XBc_Hu-NXj5YYubxQlPAD93T5GV81

Discuss... :)

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

F*ckminster Buller was always a hero of mine, and always underrated. Nice to have an isotope named after him. But can you make footprints out of it?

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Very interesting, but why was this posted in the PRSI forum?

4. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Why would they ruin such awesomeness with a name like "buckypaper"? :eek:

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I was wondering the same thing. I'm assuming the substance either proves the existence of God or contact with it causes a spontaneous abortion.

6. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

10/10

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Carbon nanotubes are pretty interesting, and it'll be interesting to see if they can be made at any kind of quantity/cost to make them viable in the marketplace. I hope the FSU folks can come up with something novel.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Mine as well. A very interesting fellow.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A man of great tensegrity.

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i haven't really followed with the carbon nano tubes through the years since it was promised that they would solve all my problems so a quick question: since they are made from carbon.. do they burn ? because for some vehicles that might not be intended

also of course the price will keep such technologies out of reach for a long time (after all many companies killed off using plastic or fiberglass for exterior of cars etc. because it was in reality more expensive than to use simply steel, even though it might get a revival thanks to fuel saving concerns)

11. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

Maybe the stpuidly named material in question will be strong enough for one of these:

[​IMG]

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It still gets jammed in laser printers though :mad:.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

A cheap laugh is how you honour your heroes?? :confused:

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's what we called him in Architecture School, with the greatest of respect. Similarly, Hugh Casson, RIBA President, was known as Sir Huge Catastrophe. We were a terribly witty lot back then.

15. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hydro-carbons may be what you are thinking of. Carbon is actually what is left over mostly after all the other stuff evaporates.

I do agree on the long duration hype, however. But it looks like these guys are actually working on making large amounts of it. And for a few years now, there was a Space Elevator Contest to build the concepts ahead of the expected arrival of a "carbon-nanotube ribbon" for it to ride up and down.

Perhaps it's getting closer to reality now because of military interest in armor applications. But if this arrives as expected, there will be suspension bridges (without the suspensions). Overhanging platforms without pillars. Cars that can weigh mush less. Though I don't think they will make it "indestructible", because they would need it to crush and absorb impact.

And there are a whole assortment of electronic applications but I think that's further down the road, perhaps when we can do molecular assembly.

16. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Novel carbon nanostructures have the potential to revolutionize both mechanical and electrical engineering. Similar in visualization to this are unrolled carbon nanotubes referred to as "graphene." It has the potential to pump some more life into Moore's law by giving semiconductors an order of magnitudes higher electron mobility.

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Anyone concerned about the possible negative impact of nano tech on the world?

18. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Sure, any new tech makes ruining this world in some way potentially easier.

I don't foresee any direct problems with nanotech per se (targeted delivery of drugs, etc.), but I think we are getting closer to things that will really start tipping the moral scales (human cloning, artificial mortality modification).

19. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Didn't the governator recently pass a law regarding use of carbon nanotubes or something?