Welcome to the era of Alternative Facts

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

On the Sunday talk shows today, Kellyanne Conway brought up some extremely important issues, particularly the size of Trump's, um, crowds, and the ratings he got at the inauguration. Most importantly, she provided the key basis upon which this administration will be governed:

Yes, that's right folks; whenever this administration is faced with embarrassing or irritating facts, they will be swift to respond with a selection of alternative facts. Let not the truth stand in the way of progress!

2. zin macrumors 6502

Wow, the third thread on the crowd size. Maybe one day you'll realise concentrating on **** like this is why you lost.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This has nothing to do with crowd sizes. This is about the administration blatantly lying to the American people with pure propaganda.

If the Trump administration is going to lie to us about something so insignificant as crowd sizes at the inauguration, what else are they going to lie to us about?

4. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Trump is the president. I accept that.

But I'm not worried about crowd size. I really don't care about presidential inaugurations at all. But I do care about truth. And I care that the Trump administration is stating right out of the gate that they do not.

5. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Alternative facts are not facts, they're falsehoods.

6. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Some guys tend to care about facts & truth when republicans are in power.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Republicans couldn't ask for a sweeter victory, they hold all of the power and the democrats are complaining about crowd sizes vs major policy decisions that are coming down the pipe. Priorities?

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The only one complaining about crowd size is Trump. Everyone else pointed out the size, Trump said it was false. The numbers don't lie, Trump on the other hand...

9. jerwin macrumors 65816

Your bias is showing. Who are you shilling for? The empirical cabal?

10. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Think you have it ass backwards. One complaining about crowd size is the Trumpster and his minions. What we are concerned about is the blatant LIE Trump and Kellyanne make about unimportant facts. Wait till it's unemployment numbers or health care costs. Most news organizations are wisely adding investigative fact checkers to their staff.

11. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Really? I think getting a majority of the vote would have been sweeter. Getting a landslide victory would have been even better. Dunno why you think Trump barely edging out Clinton was sweet...

I have yet to hear a single Democrat complain about the crowd size at Trump's inauguration. Chuckle about it maybe, but not complain. :)

We'll have to see what major policy decisions actually occur, since Trump seems to change his mind with the direction of the breeze. But the notion that his administration is willing to make up facts to support their claims is troubling.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The obsession with crowd size is a good indicator of why Hillary Clinton lost. The Democrats obsess about sexual identity issues but they do not obsess about the plight of the working class. They learned absolutely nothing from the 2016 election

13. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

The obsession with crowd size is a good indicator of why Republicans allowed Trump to take over their party. They're willing to go with a guy who offers "alternative facts" if it brings in voters. And so, they continue to back him up even as he spouts lie after lie, because as long as it gives them political power, it's all worth it in the end.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The only person obsessing over crowd size is Trump since he is offended that his crowds like his hands were smaller than Obama's.

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

And yet, I don't see you mentioning that Trump is the one obsessed. He sent his press secretary out to spend the majority of the time talking about it. With photos even!

You don't see Chuck Schumer out there giving a press conference on the crowd size. However you do see the Trump administration doing that. So who's obsessed again? LOL

Trump supporters have zero legs to stand on in this argument when their guy runs around obsessed on numbers. Always has been. Always will be. He needs numbers to stroke his ego. Failing numbers would show weakness. And a narcissist can't have that. A room could be empty and he would say it was the biggest and best crowd ever.

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Sure, keep campaigning on transgender restrooms and putting coal miners out of work. That will bring great electoral success in the future.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

And perhaps the most disturbing thing about that interview that no one is mentioning yet, is that a representative of the White House just threatened a member of the media live on air telling him they might have to "rethink their relationship".

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-pre...secretary-gave-alternative-facts-860142147643

1) why are you bringing those things up which have absolutely nothing to do with the discussion here?
    2) the transgender bathroom issue quite likely cost a Republican governor his job.

18. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

You know it.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh I saw this earlier on Twitter! What a daft person she is.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2017 ---
    If they had acknowledged, or heck even just avoided the comparison that would be one thing. We could all just laugh at the size and move onto the next thing.

But it became more than that. "Alternative facts" sounds like an attempt to create derealisation, something Putin engaged in too. There's a lovely short video explanation on this by Adam Curtis.

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

21. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

Alternative facts is not a good term.

They are just facts. Unreported facts.

The corporate media nonstop dumps all over anything that doesn't fit their political religion (much like a lot of people here and elsewhere).

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I noticed that. I think they should call her bluff, not invite her to spin her lies, and let the White House figure out how they're going to get their messaging out without the help of the media.

23. jerwin macrumors 65816

Perhaps someone can put a better spin on it, but the New York Times received a Pulitzer Prize for being a government mouthpiece during World War I.

24. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Uh-huh. Unreported, because they've only just now been thought up.

Come on, man, the Trump guys are just making it up as they go. You've gotta recognize that by now, don't you?

25. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.