Welcome to the Literal Cult of Apple

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AP_piano295, Mar 25, 2012.

1. lwood1 macrumors 6502

Interesting. Yet I don't know why people are so addicted to a company that has not only sold out, but hasn't made a revolutionary product since the iPhone. What's it been, 5 years?

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I think the iPad and Macbook Air are pretty revolutionary. Wasn't til Apple really pushed them and made them popular that other companies began to follow the trend.

That's not to say that Apple invented the tablet or ultrabook category, but I would definitely go as far as to say they're a main contributor to the movement. There were plenty of tablets and ultraportables before the iPad and Macbook Air, but for some reason, it was just a little different when Apple did it.

Perhaps it does go back to Apple's cult following after all lol

3. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Must be a human tendency. We are deity happy. :)

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

5. lwood1 macrumors 6502

In what way? The iPad is a touch screen laptop without a keyboard. It's less productive. That's not revolutionary. And the Air is the same. So it's thinner? But less ports?

6. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I guess it depends on what you define as revolutionary. The iPad, in my eyes, revolutionized an existing category of mobile computing. Tablets are all the craze nowadays. Yes, it's less 'productive' than a laptop, but that's because... it's not a laptop. Couldn't you argue that laptops are less productive than desktops? Maybe the margin has lessened these days with advances in mobile technology, but who's to say a tablet won't come as far as the laptop did in terms of portable computing solutions. Just a thought.

As for the MBA, yes, I'd consider that revolutionary, or certainly advancing in the right direction. The main fact is moving away from physical media. Nixing the ODD is a prime example of the pace of technology... in with the new, out with the old. Yes, there were plenty of netbooks that didn't have ODDs before the Air got popular, but since the MBA landed, all sorts of ultrabooks have arisen and the social norm of needing a DVD drive has quickly diminished.

Do you still want a laptop with a VGA port, DVI port, Parallel port, PS/2 port, HDMI port, FireWire port, Ethernet port, and 4 USB ports? That's fine if you do, but one port that can do all of that and do it better seems like a much better solution to me. Plus with the Bluetooth, I never even connect anything to my MBA these days (like a mouse or keyboard). My printer is wireless too... and flash drives are no longer essential with the creation of cloud storage (like Dropbox). I'd be perfectly okay if they nixed one of the USB ports to be honest =P

7. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

What would you consider the last revolutionary product before the iPhone? iPod?

How about before the iPod?

What are your expectations for how often Apple should release these products?

8. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Wow. Fanboyism taken for its most literal meaning :eek:

9. lwood1 macrumors 6502

Not really. I'd say that laptops you can be just as productive... Typing... you can do just as fast on a laptop as on a desktop. Music/Video/Picture editing you can do just as fast as on a desktop. Now try doing those on an iPad...well...

And I see your point with the air. But getting rid of ports doesn't really make something revolutionary. I guess my definition is changing how we get things done in a easier and better way.

----------

Yep. Before the iPod...we are really going back, iMac maybe?

My expectations of a revolutionary company are to make amazing products, not release a newer version of the same thing in order to cash in.

10. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

////////////
    ----------

Yes, I agree. A one piece desktop with a handle built in. Remember the uproar over dropping the floppy disk and relying on USB?

Apple isn't really involved in revolution, it's more like evolution.

Dale

11. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I agree. Apple is on a role with devices that people are crazy about. And they are running circles around Microsoft with their OS updates. MS has so much baggage, they really are put to shame... :)

12. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Apple is only involved in 5-6 different hardware markets - desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, mp3 players, and coming soon, TV's. Expecting them to break open a new market every year to qualify as innovative is unrealistic. Who does that?

Post iphone, they've innovated heavily in their ecosystem and feature sets. App store distribution, retina displays, Thunderbolt, multitouch, iCloud, SIRI, etc. Some of these are hits, others are misses, but you don't have to break open a new market to be called innovative.

13. nec207 macrumors 6502

Yes we still have to see if Microsoft can pull it of with windows 8 and tablets, phones if not than I think Microsoft will give up with people and stay with business .

Apple never got into office business / governemnt:eek: mostly Multimedia like audio, graphics, animation and video editing and now thinks like iPhone , iPad , iCloud, SIRI, so on.

14. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

First part is arguable. There are plethora of desktop keyboards that are much more comfortable and customizable than a laptop keyboard, thusly more productive. Music/Video/Picture editing is just as debatable. Yes, it's doable, especially if you have a high end laptop, but often times a cheaper desktop will do it much better. Luckily technology has progressed to the point that these two very different devices can compete at acceptable consumer speeds, that most people aren't particularly concerned with the extra seconds to minutes to maybe even an hour or two saved when using a better spec'd desktop.

The whole argument is moot regarding the iPad though. It's not at all advertised for typing, nor video/picture/music editing. You can do those things, and quite well actually. Some may even prefer it over a laptop in some cases. Let alone you can sync a keyboard to an iPad. But you're comparing apples and oranges, in my opinion. What about touch screen games or reading magazines or perusing websites or voice dictation or recording videos or taking pictures or taking hand written notes or annotating pdfs or 3g/4g connectivity or weight/size or even price? These are areas the iPad excels and trumps a laptop any day of the week.

Fairly revolutionary, but certainly incrementally.

15. lwood1 macrumors 6502

Ah OK. Then why would you buy one over a Kindle? All the other things you can be more productive on a laptop.

16. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Apple is a corporation. This is the goal of any big company.

Anyone drawing a line in the sand about Apple - if they're truly serious about why they do it - would end up living like a hermit.

17. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I don't think Microsoft is making a comeback in their primary markets but they innovate in other ways. The Kinect is probably one of the most innovative technologies to hit any market in the last few years. Likewise, what Apple did with SIRI is a breakthrough, and I say this as someone who's done research in machine learning and pattern classification.

Saying that Apple doesn't innovate because they're still in the same 5 markets is like saying the Kinect isn't innovative because it's attached to the same old X-Box. It's the wrong way to look at things.

18. 0000757 macrumors 68040

Are you kidding? The iPad CREATED the whole slate tablet segment of the PC market. There may have been a few devices before it, but they were either too expensive or not practical and really awful to use.