Welcome to the New GOP.COM!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    The GOP have relaunched their website, GOP.com. What do you think? Are they ready to ride the wave of the evolving Internet?

WSJ blog writer posts:
    New GOP Web Site Reaches for Grassroots
    http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2009/10/13/new-gop-web-site-reaches-for-grassroots/

You won't be hearing much of this however. Most of this coverage however, is likely to be drowned out by the negative aspects of the launch. Some initial stumbles have made the launch redmeat... figuratively speaking, for critics:

• Notice Anything Different? How the GOP's new website achieved epic fail - Huffington Post (blog)
      If you haven't already visited the Republican National Committe's attempt to "relaunch" the GOP brand, go now. It's worth it for humor's sake alone, ...
    • Check out GOP.com, for laughs - Kansas City Star
    • GOP.com's No Good, Very Bad Redesign - The AtlanticWire
    • Michael Steele's New Domain - Washington Post
    • New Republican Party 2.0 web site debuts and crashes w/ bugs & blanks - San Francisco Chronicle
    • Steele On New GOP.com: 'It's Not Even Really A Web Site' - TPM LiveWire (blog)

New RNC website stumbles out of gate
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1009/28253.html
    ~ CB

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Well, when I clicked the WSJ article linked, and then through that to the actual site referenced, the first page confused me a little. On it was a photo of John McCain with his tongue hanging out and his hands outstretched towards Obama's behind. In the upper right was a photo of Ted Haggard with the caption, "I am a proud Republican" When I navigated away and then tried to get back to the original page--I couldn't. hmmm

Those two photos don't seem to be what the Republican party would want to highlight no? Is this a joke site? :) The layout seemed engaging. Clearly going for a younger, fresher image though I think that runs contrary to the image Republican politicians themselves project.

3. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

On the homepage, doh.

~ CB

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well i can't even see what the fuss is about because all i get is this:

Attached Files:

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Yeah, well I couldn't return to the homepage. Anyway, seems like a joke to me.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Y'all beat me to it...I was gonna post about what a hoot this site is. Let's see what we have here.

[​IMG]

Okay, so a face appears as the O in GOP. Which is funnier, the fact that it's too cute by half, or the fact that they used the other black guy in the Republican party? :D

How about the rather grotesque headline, "Republican Faces Need Yours"? Oh, wait a minute, it says "Republican Faces Needs Yours". Grammar is apparently not the Republicans' strong suit.

Then the CNN article tells us

"What up"?! :p Bwah-ha-ha!

7. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

It'd look alright if they toned down the blinding red. And worked on their grammar. What the hell is "Republican Faces Needs Yours" supposed to mean?

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Even if they mean "Republican Faces Need Yours", it still reminds me of this:

[​IMG]

9. macfan881 macrumors 68020

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

11. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Few things get me angrier (regarding web design), than someone creating a professional webpage, and then... SQUISHING a photo into a bad aspect ratio, and pretending nothing is wrong with it.

http://gop.com/index.php/learn/heroes/jackie_robinson-1/

Then you view the image separately and just shake your head.

http://gop.com/faces/JackieRobinson1945.jpg

It's called "crop". It's a basic Photoshop feature. SNARL... REND!

~ CB

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I'm reminded of the youth minister from when I went to church as a teenager who thought he was all hip and cool with the kids and didn't realize he had zero clue.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You've got to be kidding. This is a joke, right? :eek:

14. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I wrote a quick script to pull all the faces, just out of curiosity. 44 faces in total. 9 at the end are labeled "Heroes". They include (in order): Federick Douglass, Edward Brooke, Clara Barton, Hiram Rhodes, Jose C. Barbosa, Joseph Rainey, Leonidas C. Dyer, Sandra O'Connor, and Octavious Catto.

Of the 35 remaining faces, they are a collection of generally white, black and hispanic faces (though #32 might be asian).

There are 21 women, and 14 men, including the "heroes", the count is 23 women and 21 men.

~ CB

Attached Files:

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Ive never seen a site dissected so quickly. Dems must be frothing at the bit.

16. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Last political site I gave a look over to was Change.gov (Here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=595230#post6566533 ). It ALSO went down right when it launched, and I looked into who might be developing the website. Depending on the content, I'd probably have made similar comments.

Unfortunately, the GOP website could be much better than it is. They are using Flash in places they don't need to be using Flash. But, its certainly interesting. Their photographs and "Heroes" definitely seem aimed at acknowledging that they are the party of Lincoln. I think that's good and sets a positive tone.

The fact that they are getting attention is a great thing for them. They just need to be clear on how to transform that attention into resources to help build the future of the Republican Party.

~ CB

17. remmy macrumors 6502a

your joking right???

It looks like a Chinese communist website.

All the glowing red and faint golden stars at the top.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

See counts like that are starting to piss me off. They always make sure to have more women than men on things so they "look" more politically correct but in reality it is just discriminating against men. Sorry I feel it should of been 50/50

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You're just a little too into this.

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Conservative males always get a raw deal. They are the single most repressed minority.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

22. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

All-Your-Base.JPG.jpeg

23. gibbz macrumors 68030

Facebook poll

Now this is just weak sauce.

On the side, there is a link to their social media pages. Note the facebook image capture.

I can't believe the GOP is still harping on the Nobel prize. At the end of the day, their President won an international peace prize which will only benefit us all. This is the kind of crap that has gotten them in trouble over the past election cycle and before. Shut up GOP, just shut up and focus on the issues.

Attached Files:

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Psst...GOP.com...maybe these guys can help you

GOP.com isn't the only beta web site debuting this week.

Overall it has a very "large" look and probably too many photos on its front page, but it's a big improvement over the old site.

Meanwhile, back at the GOP...take a look at the bottom of their page at "Republican Accomplishments". One would think it would be a rather empty page, but no, they managed to fill it.

Most of the good stuff appears to be from the 19th century. :D Once you get to the 20th, things really start to peter out. ;) And by the time you get to the 21st, they are relying on "accomplishments" Democrats would never take credit for, like tax cuts for the rich and invading Iraq. It's a pretty piss-poor record.

25. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ah, that (white) male privilege not enough for you? :rolleyes:

granted i'd say that its asinine that they'd include more women than men only to make themselves look better to their followers,if thats the case, but its definitely not discrimination and its not being politically correct.