Welcome to the Stupid of Stupid in America

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, May 9, 2016.

1. Huntn, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Student is threatened with arrest after presenting a real $2 bill to pay for her lunch... In Texas.
    I'm so embarrassed for my State of Residence. :oops:

LUNCHROOM LUNACY: ISD COPS INVESTIGATE $2 BILL SPENT ON SCHOOL LUNCH

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- When you think of felony forgery your thoughts might turn to Al Capone or Bonnie and Clyde shooting it out with the Texas Rangers.

Not for some local school cops. For one day, public enemy number one when it came to forgery was 13-year-old eighth grader Danesiah Neal at Fort Bend Independent School District's Christa McAuliffe Middle School.

Now 14, Daneisha was hoping to eat that day's lunch of chicken tenders with her classmates using a $2 bill given to her by her grandmother when she was stopped by the long arm of the law.

"I went to the lunch line and they said my $2 bill was fake," Danesiah told Ted Oberg Investigates. "They gave it to the police. Then they sent me to the police office. A police officer said I could be in big trouble."

See the link for more. I'm thinking that general stupidity in this country is becoming more prevalent with each day that passes. :(

2. obeygiant, May 9, 2016

obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Stupid thread title. One person in Texas ****s with a two dollar bill and suddenly America is stupid.

Here is a list of the Top Ten reasons Americans are Stupid. Knock yourself out.

3. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Well, it was a good reason for another silly thread.

4. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Yes, a thread that's not bashing Hillary, Trump or Obama in the PRSI forum? The nerve!

5. Robisan macrumors 6502

I thought this thread was going to be about the new Texas border signs. I guess I was half-right.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I've got $20 in $2 bills. I am a counterfeiting kingpin. I could BUY AND SELL YOU ALL!

7. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I can see a school lunch lady not having access to the internet to verify this, but the school and cops too? It seems the only thing in America that can't be turned into a big deal are mass shootings*.

*That should fire things up in this thread!

8. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Hey, got 2 tens for a five? :p

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Sure. Let me print some up.

10. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

It's not even unusual for people to have trouble paying with $2 bills:

$2 bills are seldom seen in circulation as a result of banking policies with businesses which has resulted in low production numbers due to lack of demand. This comparative scarcity in circulation, coupled with a lack of public awareness that the bill is still in circulation, has also inspired urban legends and occasionally has created problems for people trying to use the bill to make purchases.​

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Hell, even I didn't know they were still in circulation. Every one I've seen has always been a part of someone's coin collection.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Arresting someone for fraud over a dodgy $2 bill is ridiculous.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

At least not a middle school kid.

14. Scepticalscribe, May 9, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What I find extraordinary is the completely excessive response, which took the form of a hysterical and fear-fuelled over reaction. A country that appears to be increasingly prone to a frenzy fuelled by fear.

And yes, I am also surprised that in a country where recent attempts to bring about quite small changes in how some denominations are represented met with unease (remember the agitation and strong reaction to suggestions that Harriet Tubman should grace the $20 bill?) people should be quite unaware that a $2 dollar bill is still legal tender.

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

16. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

If you bothered to read there was a collection of stupid people involved- cashier, at least one school representative, probably the principle, and... the police! Yours is a typical response from someone with a dismissive attitude. And btw I anticipate more entries. There's a lot it going around. :)

You call it silly? Are you voting for Trump? ;)

New entries welcome! :)

If there was concern, the proper response would be to call in the parents and why not check with the bank to verify the authenticity before calling the cops? And the cops were stupid too!! And the little girl's name sounds ethnic, so if that stands up, another reason to raise your eyebrows as to motivations.

17. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I bet Jefferson's bones are rolling in their grave right now.

19. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

They probably would have been thrilled to see the new Trump bill. :rolleyes:

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Big tipper, eh? I bet you're popular at the Bada-Bing.

21. Meister Suspended

Meister

Saying "Americans are stupid" is stupid.

I've spent most of my life in europe and there are plenty of stupid people there.

You go to third world continents likes africa and large parts of asia and you are surrounded by an ocean of stupidity.
    --- Post Merged, May 9, 2016 ---
    Not knowing the $2 bill is not stupid.

I've never seen that bill myself.

22. Huntn, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Please Meister, it's HOW THEY HANDLED IT. Also pay attention when you read, stop reading into it what's not there. The title does not say Americans are stupid (blanket statement).

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

They should have called in the Secret Service on this one (afterall they do have the responsibility to protect the currency). Given there recent track record of faux pax after faux pax, it would have been interesting to see if they knew $2 bills existed.

Random aside, it's always facinated me how the US has never caught onto $1 coinage like most other currencies.

Boston just installed all these quarter and $1 coin parking meters. Who on earth carries $1 US coins on them? Only few the people who pay for the subway passes and pay with cash and require >$.99 in change. In my observation most people just pay the machines with plastic.

Presidential $1 Coins, Sacagawea $1 Coin, Susan B Anthony $1 Coin, Esienhower $1 Coin (seriously who thought a coin the half size of a CD and heavier than a full wallet would be practical?). So many tries, so many failed attempts to catch on.

24. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Are people here seriously defending the government right here? There are other issues that need resolve outside the fact that a completely innocent kid paid two ****ing dollars and just *might* *potentially* *theoretically* be a counterfeit. Not that it matters anyway, that sort of crap is to be dealt with by the local janitor or something.

25. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'd have thought that new parking meters would have card readers, but then that would require electricity, and <gasp> networking. ;)