Well, Did Tim Cook "double down on secrecy?"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbo1mcm, Sep 15, 2013.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Kind of looks like Apple caught most pundits by surprise with the 64 bit. Not sure if the better camera was discussed. The colors were not a surprise. Samsung gagged with the 64 bit announcement. I give them an A- on secrecy!!

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

iBeacons.

Come back to this thread 2 years from now and tell me that this didn't change the world again. ;)

3. Kurso macrumors 6502

Na, everyone is headed to 64-bit. It's not like Apple pulled off some miracle here. And this is the type of thing that is easy to keep secret because it's not like you can take a picture of a chip and say "thats 64-bit". In fact it is likely that only a hand full of people outside of Apple needed to know. Even the fab (outside of a hand full of people) doesn't really need to know this.

Plus, unlike Apple, Samsung has a fairly broad portfolio of phones, which leads to phones constantly coming off the line, so a 64-bit phone is right around the corner I'm sure.

This was a marketing win for Apple, not a technology win.

4. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Have to give Tim Cook credit as most of the leaks seemed to be from Apple. While the fingerprint scanner was a possibility there were no leaked pictures till 2 days before. As for the M7 processor that was kept nicely. And even the 64 bit chip

5. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

And the cases too. Very few if any real case leaks.
    From what I read even the android people were surprised by the 64 bit thing.

6. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

Who gives a crap whether he had been more secretive? I mean how does it affect the end product or your user experience?

7. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Does look pretty bad when they said "you've seen this before" during the unveiling. If Steve was still around heads would have rolled.

8. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

i recently read an article on the interwebs that argued the exact opposite.

a few years ago, when apple introduced the most revolutionary products, no one had the faintest clue of what to expect; yet, in this latest conference, for instance, the whole world was not surprised by the iphone 5C. everyone knew it was coming, that it would be plastic, that it would be made in different colours (and each of those were known as well), and so on..

64-bit is just a minor detail in the grand scheme of things.

in fact i still cant understand why so many people, out of all things, went crazy about the 64-bit.

i mean 64-bit.. big deal... had they made a quad-core or a 2GB phone it would have probably resulted in the same performance.. and in the every day use most people will not even notice the difference.

9. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

What?? iBeacons was in the iOS:7 keynote. Or did I miss something?

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Just a small casual mention for the massive change it's about to bring. They've elaborated very little, and even the documentation (as far as vision) is hard to find in their dev portal.

11. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

true that! ...forget about NFC ;)

12. user-name-here macrumors 65816

I personally couldn't care less.

I'm not sure why people get so worked up over whether Tim Cook's words become 100% true or not. It's like if he said during the keynote "I will turn the sky green tomorrow", would you give a **** if it didn't become true? :confused:

13. Gary500 macrumors regular

Gary500

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

2GB or Quad Core aren't the same type of upgrade as the move from 32 bit to 64 bit. It's not a spec pump, it's a major change to how the OS functions and opens the door to a lot advance down the road.

I'm not saying 64-bit is a game changer right now, but the transition on x86 was a big deal for the entire industry*, so for Apple to make that change on it's other OS is a sign of progress.

*Admittedly, the nature of Mac OS X, Windows and Linux moving to x86 isn't quite the same thing, since the machines that run those OSes allow more user control of the hardware. So more hardcore users could take control of their hardware as pass the limits of 32 bit more aggressively. The devices that run iOS and Android don't allow user upgrades of as much hardware, so the advantages will come in more slowly.

15. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wn3OCIcE8ds

00:45 into this video

16. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I guess you haven't been around these parts very long. There were plenty of leaks during his time. In fact, as I recall, Steve said almost the same exact thing when the 4 came out.

Cool, I just saw this post above mine.

17. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Please state some facts to back up your argument. But it was funny that Samsung came back with me to 64 bit in the next phone.

18. Kurso macrumors 6502

64-bit is a big deal for iPhone, but not a big deal for the iPhone5c or iPhone5s.

Look at the PC (and Mac space) space. We have had PCs with 64-bit CPUs for a decade. It will take time for the OS to make the transition as well as for apps to make the transition.

I think the mobile transition will be quicker but it will still take 2-3 years. Most apps won't be able to take advantage of 64-bit anyway and will use 32-bit instructions to maintain compatibility.

19. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I didn't here any rumors about the M7 chip. I think that was a well kept secret.

20. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Did you watch the keynote Demonstration? With the tools that apple provides it only took 2 days to move Infinity blade three on to 64 bit

21. Kurso macrumors 6502

Yep, Xcode makes this pretty easy but now its a question of writing apps that that can take advantage of it. It is not just a matter of recompiling for 64-bit.

22. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

23. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Like when Steve announced the totally secret, never before seen iPhone 4?

24. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

But for once Samsung didn't get in their 'coming later' announcement before Apple. So it is still a feat for the secrecy thing.

Plus the separate motion processor

25. FlunkedFlank macrumors member

Yes, but that's just a sign of the times, nothing specific to Apple. Far more Chinese factory workers have smartphones now than in 2007 when the iPhone came out. (I'd guess close to "none" did then vs. probably almost "all" now!) Far more iPhones are being made and far more factory workers involved. There's far more frenzy about Apple now and the stock price is much higher than it was in 2007. And the era of blogging/facebook/wikileaks/etc. is far more evolved than it was in 2007. It's virtually impossible to keep a secret now when it requires *hundreds of thousands* of factory workers to churn out new iPhones.