Well done Apple for creating a hype

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Sep 22, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

So I per ordered online one day after per orders opened and I'm still waiting and won't get it until October. I see on the UK orders have been put back to three to for weeks.

Surely they could have upped production as it was obviously going to sell very fast? Might not be good buisness sense for some companies but Apple knew this would be selling fast.

I reckon it's all hype. They probably have enough but it's all contract resereves. If I was to go to a store they would not sell me a sim free handset even weeks after launch.

2. AMC89 macrumors member

Can you not get a sim free one from apple? In fairness they sold twice as many units as the 4s in the first 24hrs or whatever

3. shortcrust macrumors 6502

I don't buy the 'hype' hypothesis. Apple are in the business of selling. If they could click their fingers and get an iPhone to everyone who wants one today, they would.

4. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Tried last year at an Apple store and they had them but I was buying sim free so they refused me one so I then had to order online and wait longer as I expected to get the 4S a little more easily.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No matter how much you up production, its not feasible to make millions of phones in a short amount of time and given the demand for the phones, its seems that is just the case, millions were pre-ordered surprising apple by the high demand.

Secondly apple has long decided to not over estimate demand and thus allow consumers to wait.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

Exactly. There's a finite number of phones any factory can make over a set period of time. The last thing Apple wants to do is overproduce and be stuck with too much capacity and unsold units. It isn't as if they can just magically start producing iPhones. There is lead-time in finalizing the design, retooling the factories, sourcing parts, and getting initial stocks produced. Apple also doesn't announce phones until they are ready

Compare this to Nokia, Samsung, and HTC, which routinely hold announcements for phones that are months away from availability. If anything, those are the companies attempting to build up hype.

7. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

It's a new iPhone. One should just expect hype and one should just expect it too be in short supply the first few weeks.

8. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I guess they could have waited till February to launch the iPhone 5 when they had produced enough to have one for everyone on the planet on launch day

I'm sure nobody would have complained about the wait, since they would have gotten one on launch day

/sarcasm

I ordered at 4:50 and got an Oct 5 delivery
    Today it was moved to Sept 28
    One week after launch

In the grand scheme of things, being without an iPhone 5 for a week isn't going to disrupt my life

I think Apple tries to balance demand and production to find the optimum without having overstock
    Sure, that creates a slight delay at launch to get the product out to the rabid fans

I'll have mine soon enough
    No, I won't be able to brag about having mine launch day and preen around with it
    But that's not why I bought it to begin with