Well Google is Guilty Too

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by satcomer, Apr 8, 2017.

1. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

2. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

I'll wait until I see the verdict. I actually trust that Google analyzes these discrepancies.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not sure what they want, if you go into the world males are at the top of the SE field, and whites/Asians are abundant in that group. If you pay based on merits there is going to be a gap. If they think they can just do a straight comparison on two engineers because they hold the same title they are wrong.

4. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I mean the real "issue" if we want to call it that would be the divergence in interests at a young age. Google can't help that. At my organization we have challenges recruiting women as well. There just aren't that many. I'm not going to hire somebody who is unqualified, either. The female coders we do hire though are usually really great.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hmm, I was told there was no wage gap.

Anywho. It'd be very nice if Google paid their fair share of taxes and also paid women the same as men - plus maybe a bonus as a form of reparation.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You get paid based on your merit in the software world, two engineers don't do the same job just because they have the same title. This isn't taking out a garbage can or filling up someone's gas tank.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If the pay gap is significant, then perhaps a title change is in order to reflect that difference.

But the quote from the article that stands out to me is, "We found systemic compensation disparities against women pretty much across the entire workforce,"

Google claims that their reports contradict those government findings, but won't release their full reports.

Sounds like a court battle. May truth and justice prevail.

9. satcomer thread starter macrumors 603

satcomer

I don't trust Google as far as I could trow them! They Scan Email on their Servers, collects DNS logs as well as other things. You can blindly trust them then go right ahead!

10. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

I trust them with things like diversity reporting - but no I don't trust them with any of my data. I don't use any Google products besides search and clear my history.

11. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

The paragraph before stated

Unless we can define "similar work" the report is meaningless

Air crew do similar work as they both fly in aircraft and are Air crew members. Pilots and flight attendants have similar roles but they are not the same. Pilots no matter the gender all get the same pay, as do flight attendants. Do male flight crew members make more money on average? Yes, but there is no inequality that makes that so, if you narrow down the actual jobs, everything averages out.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I would expect them to go deeply into definitions in court.

13. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yup, if you're pay is different from someone else's the only reason could be a gender gap.

If you don't get promoted, it's because you're the wrong race/gender.

Nothing else is possible.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

There is no provable wage gap, just nonsense and a lot of token gestures. Some university engineering departments go out of their way to recruit women. They can't necessarily (legally) offer a higher salary, but they will offer things like relocation packages and a generous amount of support for grad students. Companies like google also tend to recruit from departments that feature a lot of women or minority races in an effort to look more balanced.

Most people who talk about wage gaps have never shown any credibility.

Here's one example.

I don't really have an issue with this, but it's a token gesture against a perceived problem.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If you change the titles then the media complains that there aren't enough X designated at that title level, it's a lose lose no matter what you do unless you hire less qualified candidates to fill your quota.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I can't remember the last time the media complained about that.

Are you sure you're not just making that up?

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You have mentioned that you work at a university in California. Try a department that doesn't have a lot of female faculty. In the hard sciences, you'll usually find a lot of women in fields like biology and very few in mechanical engineering. I'm referring specifically to faculty, not students. Ask one of the full professors about it. You will find that they're under pressure to recruit female faculty. It tends to be viewed favorably by both governmental organizations that grant funding, such as the NSF and private companies that want to improve their diversity numbers.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There may be some different rules when it comes to recruiting faculty ... but I doubt it.

Our affirmative action policy excludes sex from being a consideration in hiring. During workshops we're taught to look out for hidden biases, but we're never told to actively seek to hire based on race or sex.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Really? How many tech companies have been raked over the coals about the ratio of white guys on the executive level?

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Executive level is not what this complaint is about.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

All of the tech companies run initiatives to get more women into engineering as well, not only because it's probably a good idea, but so that their ratios don't look terrible and they don't get attacked

Look at Google shaming itself for hiring people who have got the job done for them:

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.digit...ender-and-ethnic-demographics-statistics/amp/

The message in my industry is clear: too many whites and Asian males, regardless of qualifications or talent.

22. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

I... Am ALSO guilty of this. Some days, after a long day's work, I only give my wife 77% of a thank you, for dinner.

But she still goes to bed a happy woman, so what the hell...:D