Well hello there T-Mobile girl...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GoreVidal, Sep 5, 2012.

1. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

2. rogo43 macrumors member

truly Unlimited

Wow that almost makes me want to dump Big Red and go to T-Mobile.

3. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

4. GoreVidal thread starter macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Signal's great where I am for both voice and 4G according to my friends on T-Mobile. There's also a tower 2 blocks from my house and 3 from my office. This is sooooooo tempting:

Attached Files:

5. Greg. macrumors 6502

Greg.

Almost as good as the $15 per month GiffGaff costs in the UK to get truly unlimited data, unlimited texts and 250 mins!

6. acarney macrumors 6502

This is something i've seriously been thinking about too, however, could you live with EDGE speeds if you went more then 20 miles outside your city? Would turn by turn work well with EDGE, what about turn by turn plus like pandora? I'm pretty much fine with ATT's data speed in town right now and I don't need TMo to fix that, I need TMo to fix the use of data when I'm OUTSIDE town, and that's sadly where they really seem to have issues. I would hate to think about how my phone can replace my MacBook Air and even my iPad and just go hit the road just to be reminded 50 miles away that I need to go sit inside a starbucks or something to use a hotspot to download some music and maps and emails and then hit the road again. I wish they would just honestly very clearly make it known where has moved over to 1900 mhz and if they plan to get extended service moved over to an iPhone band... it doesn't help if it is just the 30 mile circle i live and play in, most the time i'm 20 minutes away from an iPad or macbook air or something ANYWAY when i'm in town near home...

7. rogo43 macrumors member

Good Point, There website says my area only has 2G speeds. I wish VZW would get truly unlimited.

8. andyx3x macrumors 65816

T-Mobile service is great in the Raleigh/Durham area. I currently have an iPhone 4S on T-Mobile's $30 plan and don't think anything could get me to leave it.

9. GoreVidal thread starter macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Whenever I leave town, it's usually on a 747 over the pond or to another major city. Just me, but you make a valid point for those who log a lot of road miles.

10. acarney macrumors 6502

It doesn't even have to be across the US, just going about 30 to 50 miles out of any "decently large" city/area in Washington state would push you down to edge. If you use data while driving, make sure gps and pandora work on edge. A day trip could become frustrating if you have to pull over and spend ten minutes waiting for data I load to find an address and phone number of a restaurant you want to have lunch at or something...

11. mateo124 macrumors regular

I would seriously consider this if I had a T-Mobile signal in my neighborhood. Its kind of funny watching my friends have to go down the street to get a signal to make a call. AT&T works great where I live, go figure

12. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I loved T-Mobile back a few years ago. I had VoiceStream and it became T-Moble... One of my close friends lives in the same city as I do and we frequent the same places. He has to get up a go outside or borrow my phone to talk. Nothing would make me switch back when you have to jump through hoops to use a phone. AND he just renewed his contract for a Galaxy S... :confused: :rolleyes:

13. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

have they figured out how to get an iphone on to 3g yet? or is it still edge?

14. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

They are redoing the network. It will get HSPA+ i.e. the current 4G on AT&T. Some areas have it, some don't.

15. blevins321 macrumors 68030

T Mobile also (or at least did 4 years ago) supports UMA cell mode. Let's you call and text natively over Wifi. Blackberry and Android both support it, but iOS doesn't yet. Might be worth considering.

16. GoreVidal thread starter macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Depends on the area I guess. Great coverage where I am. And I had to leave them back in 2007 to get the iPhone. I felt bad because the rare time I had to call them, their CS was fantastic, responsive, and insanely kind. Can't wait to go back to them.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think once Tmobile upgrades their 3G bands to be compatible with the iphone they will give AT&T and Verizon a nice run for their money.
    Something like this will only benefit the consumer in the end, more options, more competition and less price matching/fixing by the 2 big carriers.
    Tmobiles customer care is refreshingly nice and knowledgeable compared to AT&T thats has either clueless reps that make things up or act like they're doing you a favor when you call in for something.

18. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

so anything with HSPA+ on T-mobile will work with factory unlocked iphone?

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Once Tmobile refarms their network then yes.

20. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Yes. If you have HSPA+ in your area and a factory unlocked 4s or higher You will get 4g.

21. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Yes. Once T-Mobile is done, HSPA+ on their network will be compatible with any unlocked iPhone 4S (HSPA for iPhone 4 or older). Also any unlocked AT&T phone will be able to use T-Mobile's HSPA+.

22. dkersten macrumors 6502a

OP I think you should go for it. It sounds like the coverage would be great in your situation. And you could get the GS3 on contract and then later buy the unlocked iPhone 5!

23. onthecouchagain, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

T-mobile's a fine service, but when you're inside a building (sometimes not even remotely deep) signal and service quality drops dramatically. Likewise, when you go back outside, or come out from a train tunnel, the service can take some time to reestablish.

Also, dropped calls have gotten a lot less frequent, but they still occur once in a while.

24. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

$45 for unlimited everything on Straight Talk, and they have the exact same coverage as AT&T. In other words, way better than T-Mobile

25. GoreVidal thread starter macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

What is?