Well I couldn't resist....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by barryl85, Jun 25, 2012.

1. barryl85 macrumors regular

Well my 24month iPhone 4 contract expired and since Apple decided last year to change the release time of the iPhone it left me (and millions of others) with a tough decision, try something new or wait till October. They really did drop the ball with changing the release date.:rolleyes:

The next problem is I really haven't been even slightly impressed by the current leaks of the next iPhone (even if no one can officially confirm they are legit or not). I don't think its a good looking device (I said the same about the iPhone 4 leaks though so I know not to be too skeptical).

So this renewal Samsung has got my money for the Galaxy SIII.:D

Now i've tried an Android device and it was a bit of a change from iOS and I plan on giving it a good test once I get the device.

Here is my plan though, if once the next iPhone is revealed I want it, i'll just sell on the Galaxy SIII and buy the next iPhone and in the mean time I get to test out Android and the SGS3 which looks like an incredible piece of kit and I still have my iPad 3 to keep my iOS needs at hand.

Anyone else find themselves in a similar situation?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm sure many have found themselves in similar situations because I see these stories all over the boards. Just because your contact ended doesn't mean you're forced to upgrade or that your iPhone stopped working, right? That's never been my personal experience and being contract-free for a while was certainly a good feeling.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Please check out the resale value of android phones. The last time I had one (droid x) the resale value of the phones dropped very quickly. You may not get as much as you expect.

I've been eligible for a new phone since the 4s came out and I've been holding off - just because I can upgrade doesn't mean I should ;)

4. barryl85 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I see what your saying but when I look at the functionality of the Samsung its too good to ignore and my issue is what if I wait 4 months then decide the iPhone is not for me?

Actually my sleep/wake button stopped working around a month ago - its very annoying and i'm not going to pay to have it fixed - I take good care of my iPhone its immaculate and its like the button just seized.

Yeah your right I have had a look, i'm still willing to take the loss if I have made a wrong decision on the flip side I might not have.

You really are doing well holding out all this time !! I lasted one day :D

edit: Just to add to the subject of resale value, iPhone resale value has dropped too, I guess that comes with being more popular and the second hand market flooded.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Got it. I do think the SG III is a fine replacement.

6. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Sometimes you have an itch you just have to scratch. After this is all said and done, you'll know more about both devices than most people on this board and can speak to both phone's strengths and weaknesses. Lot to be said for that, rather than just bashing Android because that's what iPhone users are supposed to do.

As I've mentioned before, I would have left the iPhone 'fold' around the time the iP4 came out if I didn't have an iPad. Syncing media between the two has tipped the balance between getting a decent sized smart phone and the little iPhone. Still using my ebay iPhone 4 and am yet undecided as to what to get come Fall. I suppose that's up to Apple.

7. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Not a bad choice at all. The S3 is a very nice phone and Android is a very nice OS. It will give you a great chance to try out the platform with the best it has to offer. In a few months when the new iPhone comes out you will be able to make an educated decision on which platform you prefer. But yes, resale value on Android phones is nothing like the iPhone. If you can get it unlocked and are on AT&T it can be a bit better than VZW.

8. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

you made it through an entire 2 year contract with the same phone? :eek:

I haven't been able to convince myself to hold on to one phone for more than a year and just end up with every new iPhone so the new release date didn't really affect me much.

9. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

I will have had the new iPhone for 2 years when the next iPhone is released. Even then I plan to wait a few months until a lot of accessories are released so that I can get the cases(s) that I want.

My iPhone 4 16 gig works just as fine as the day I bought it and have no desire to upgrade to the 4s. Using my new phone discount on an android device so close to another iPhone release is not an option for me. My Eco system is all apple (Cept for my windows laptop cause I just can't give that up) and because it works for me I want it to stay that way.

I may even go the prepaid route once my contract is up in October. I'll just unlock my iPhone 4 and move on over to one of those networks.

Just my 2 cents on this thread... :p

10. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

You have a phone on contract? :eek:

11. torana355 macrumors 68020

Yep i think many people that got the iPhone 4 on launch night will be in the same situation including myself. I picked up a HTC One XL a few days ago and love it!! Im a huge Apple fan but IOS 6 did not impress me along with the new rumored design which is ugly as hell imo. If the new iPhone does impress me i will keep my HTC as a second phone and buy the new iPhone outright.

12. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

You spelled ***** wrong...

----------

I'm kididng.

Yes, I'm in the same boat. Last October my wife was due for an upgrade. We went in to get a new device and they said that under some special BOTH of our lines were due for an upgrade.

I upgraded her line (got my 4S) and I'm still sitting on my upgrade. As someone else mentioned, you can't re-sell an Android device like an iPhone (you'll lose a bit more) and I want to get the next iPhone. I don't see what's so unimpressive about the next iPhone as we know it so far... You can bet 99.999% sure it'll have 4G, be a bit bigger, the same or slimmer form factor, etc. Sure it'll look A LOT like the iPhone 4/4s but the current gen iPad looks the same as the iPad 2 and look at those sales figures. People will buy it. Hopefully you can resell your SGSIII cause I'm sure you'll want an iPhone.

13. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

....it really isn't that difficult to stay with the same phone for 2 years!!

I had the iPhone 4 on release day and when the 4S was released, I didn't feel it was a worthy upgrade so I just kept on with my iPhone 4.

Now that my contract is up - I think I can patiently wait for the next iPhone to be released as I really don't see any other phones out there which I would like to try!

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's because nothing is getting me excited. The 4S really didn't do much for me, and I've owned android phones before. I don't hate them, in fact they offer a lot of things that I don't get in iOS. Still I think iOS/iPhone is a better platform for me and my needs. In short, I have no choice to wait ;)

15. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

In the end of the day. Your getting a phone that has been out for some time, just not in the US. Months before the next iPhone. I guess it will be your loss on the new innovations to come. The bar will only be raised once again for Samsung to catch up.

16. barryl85 thread starter macrumors regular

The Galaxy S3 has only just came out - not even a full month has its been on the shelves, I really don't know what your meaning??

As I said, when the iPhone is announced and IF it does have the new innovative and key features I will pre-order my iPhone and sell the S3 so I wouldn't miss out on a single thing.

17. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Yes, I started a thread about this very same thing some weeks back and, surprisingly, many MR members appear to be completely happy with waiting to see what Apple has in store versus being antsy to upgrade.

Personally, I think it's completely normal to want to upgrade your phone every 24 months, as a contract ends (at least for most of us in the States). Hell I was upgrade eligible last December but there was nothing to tempt me.

I won't jump ship until I handle something that truly impresses me. The One X has its issues, and I still have yet to hold the SIII in my hand. I would not purchase a smartphone without demoing it first (or unless it was something that I simply could not demo but was quite sure I'd like, like an unlocked European model).

Also, I can't do the 'get the SIII now and sell it this fall' routine unless I want to potentially lose money. Which I don't.

OP I strongly suggest you try the SIII out in a store before making your purchase. I mean, you always have a chance I'm guessing to return it if desired, but too many people buy smartphones blindly and then have to go through the trouble of returning them when a simple demo would have saved you a lot of time.

Lastly, I do think this brief window (essentially now until the next iPhone release this fall) opens a window for current iPhone users to potentially jump ship if they find an Android device they are impressed with.

18. barryl85 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I have tried out the Galaxy and its something else (compared with my iPhone 4 anyway). It definitely fits the bill for what i'm looking for that's why i'm buying now also going on what i'm expecting from the next iPhone.

All i'm saying is if the next iPhone truly has something I am not prepared to miss out on I will sell the SGS3 and with a red face stump up the rest of the cash.

19. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Hypothetically, in my situation, if I were to purchase and sell the SIII for the same price to upgrade to the next iPhone this fall, it would be a loss of $300. So for me, I'm not getting the SIII unless I'm quite certain I would want it regardless of what Apple has up their sleeve.

20. barryl85 thread starter macrumors regular

That's what you call being sensible :D

I know i'm taking a risk but its one i'm willing to take, always wanted to try Android and I don't think there has been a better time !

21. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

I miss wrote that.. The S3 has been planned for release for months. It needed time to advertise etc. That being said. The next iPhone hasnt even emerged, the S3 looks like a dominant phone almost a year later than the 4S came out. Then Apple is ready to set a new bar on the next one. I suppose if you Want the next iPhone the resale value will be legit at that time. However, I doubt it is something to hold onto since the resale value with past iPhones has a lot to do with unlocking them.

22. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

I was thinking about getting the SIII. The iPhone 4 is the first smart phone I've owned but I've still been with iOS since 1.1.2 with and iPod touch. I desperately want to try Android just to experience it and truly have a better understanding of the os.

The only thing that always holds me back is because, as I said, I've been with iOS since 1.1.2. The app store was released with 2.0 so I have been buying apps for iOS, literally since day one. I can't see myself putting all of those apps/money to waste.