iPad well, I got rid of my ipad 4 today...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bigboar, Nov 7, 2013.

1. bigboar macrumors 6502

I have been on the fence about upgrading to the ipad air or new mini retina. I have(had) a 64gb wifi ipad 4 and had been watching to see what they sell for on ebay. It didnt look good by the time you figure in fees and shipping so I had decided to keep mine. I then saw a post about gamestops trade in deal going on right now with the 30% bonus if you buy a used game. I took mine there this morning and after buying a $1.99 game I ended up getting $540 and I didnt have to turn in my charger and lightning cable so I will have an extra for my new air or mini retina(cant make up my mind on which). I felt that is pretty darn good deal considering I paid $649 for my 4 during black friday last year.
    I made my mind up last night when I saw a post about gamestop selling new 1st gen nexus 7 32gb tablets for $99 and I thought it would be a good way to hold me over until I can decide which new ipad I want. I ended up putting one on hold last night and went there first thing this morning with my ipad 4 and did the deal. I am going to try to go out tomorrow evening and see the air first hand but I remember when I owned my mini before I returned it I kept telling myself if it had a better display I would never go back to the larger ipad.
    I am sorry for the rant, really just wanted to let people know who are contemplating upgrading that the gamestop tradein deal seems like its pretty hard to beat if you dont mind using your credit with gift cards. I used all my credit on amazon gift cards since I shop there frequently anyhow. the nexus 7 deal isnt bad either even though its no apple.....

2. fredylee macrumors member

But what can you do with Gamestop credit? Can you purchase new iPad from Game stop???

3. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

No. They're not an authorized Apple seller.

They do, however, sell used Apple devices.

4. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

5. broboore macrumors regular

I went this route with my iPad 3. I got 410 for it with the extra 30%, when I was getting zero bites on Craigslist. They do sell Amazon gift cards, which I did purchase to use up all of the credit. May not work for some of you, but Amazon credit is as good as cash in our house.

6. bigboar thread starter macrumors 6502

same here! we shop amazon regularly so I had my credit put on amazon gift cards also...

7. Robster3 macrumors 68000

iPad 4 seems to be the hardest one to sell on ebay, have sold a 1,2,3 and a mini all within a day.

8. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

This. Didn't get any bites on my 4.

9. AppleRobert macrumors 603

FWIW (pun intended), I would not buy a 4 now with the Air released and folks having the time to check it out, probably with the majority deciding the upgrade is worth spending the extra money. Even if it was just for its size and weight.

10. fredylee macrumors member

Wish, I heard about this sooner. Just sold my super mint 32gb black iPad 4 with new Kavaj leather case for only $400. Would have gotten $459 + keeping my case if I went this route. Sad.

11. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

Is it 30% over what the online offer price is?

12. csrini1 macrumors regular

yes 30% over. However i would advise folks coming from ipad4, to first try the ipad air and then make a decision. personally for me the screen on air sounds hollow compared to 2/3/4.

13. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

I stopped by Apple today and the Air is much lighter and easier to hold, making it more portable for me. I may have to swing by Gamestop and check out the deal.

14. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I have both, the 4 is a dog, screen is great no going back.:eek:

15. manhattanmania, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013

manhattanmania macrumors regular

am i understanding this correctly?
    it's showing $305 online for my 16GB iPad 4 (like new), plus 30% = $397?! which i could then put toward amazon gift cards. even if they only gave me good condition, it would be $347, still great.

why does this seem too good to be true?

16. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

So when is Amazon suppose to be selling the Air?

17. bigboar thread starter macrumors 6502

you got it right! Mine showed $416 online in like new. $406 in like new without the charger or lightning cable. I took mine in the box but left my charger and cable in the car hoping they would offer 406 + 121.80(30% bonus) for a total of 527.80 and keep my charger to have as an extra for my new one since the chargers are fairly expensive. I figured if something happened and they would do the deal I would just run out to the car and get them. My ipad has been in a case since new and he had no problem giving me like new condition on it. Low and behold, he tell me I would be getting $540.80 and this was without my charger and cable. I promptly accepted the offer and then went over and grabbed all 9 amazon $50 gift cards and 3 of the $25 amazon gift cards. he was like man I have to enter all 12 of these into the system to activate them and I said go ahead I am in no hurry....lol. I also left out the part that I traded in an ipod touch 4 32gb I hadnt used in quite a while and I received $101.40 in credit on it.
    When all was said and done I received $642.20 in credit for my ipad 4 and iPod touch 4th gen. I walked out of the store with 12 amazon gift cards worth $525, a gamestop store credit of $8.59, rockband ac/dc track pack(was $1.99 and what I bought in order to receive the extra 30%),a new nexus 7 32gb, and I have a spare charger and cable for whatever new ipad I buy which has to be worth $20 or so. I am very happy with that as I was kinda sick after looking on ebay and seeing what ipad 4s were bringing...

----------

hard to say, but they will I am sure. If I remember correctly they were a few weeks behind the release date on the mini and the ipad 4.

18. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

Wow! That is awesome! Did you print out the online quote?

19. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

WTF does the screen soundling hollow mean? its not a drum, its a tablet.

20. puma1552 macrumors 601

I was going to do this deal with my 64 gig wifi 4 but decided to keep my 4 for another year.

I have to say, I'm astonished they haven't tanked the trade values since the Air was released; this is the same trade value they had a couple weeks ago before the air was released.

21. bigboar thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I just went in store and when he brought it up it showed the same price as online then I said "don't I get an extra 30% on top of that if I buy a used game at the same time?" And he said he thought so and to go pick out my game and we would find out. Sure enough, after adding the game it adjusted the trade in value to include the extra..

22. hbenitez09 macrumors regular

They had a deal that got you 50% bonus on the trade ins. I did my trade in on the 2nd and got 620 after purchasing nba 2k put the rest towards Xbox one. They didn't have any amazon cards but I was tempted by shell gas cards

23. csrini1 macrumors regular

You will know what hollow means when you start typing on ipad air, assuming you previously owned either ipad or iphone

24. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I have had the all still got 3&4. You won't even notice after 5 mins. Maybe loose some weight off your fingers to keep the pressure less:)

25. nemker macrumors newbie

nemker

Went to GameStop today with my IPAD 3 32gb wifi and accepted $377 in store cash. Had to buy a 99 cent game so I could buy Amazon Kindle cards. Ordered an IPAD AIR 32gb on Amazon new sealed in the box, used the Kindle cards, It was $54 over list but saved $30 on sales tax. Very happy with the deal plus no Craigslist or EBAY BS.