Well I think I may have found an iMac I'm going to buy, now some upgrades :)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aPple nErd, Apr 4, 2013.

1. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Ok so I'm going to be buying a mid 2011 iMac 21.5 inch soon. It has 12gb ram, 500gb hdd, 2.5ghz intel core i5, and osx snow leopard. I will update it to lion. But I want to throw in a 128gb ssd for the os and apps, and use the internal hdd as my time machine drive, with a partition for bootcamp. So where should I have these upgrades gone? Any suggestions? Also, can I dual boot osx lion, and snow leopard, and also run windows, so I guess triple boot? I will just use windows for minecraft, and other gaming, as I'm a big time minecrafter. So any suggestions please post bellow. Ps. Yes my mom has a Mac but this is MY FIRST Mac, so I'm really excited for it! Thanks!

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Minecraft runs on Mac. I don't play it, though.

3. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Ik, but my friends give me a hard time that I'm a windows hater, and minecraft is easier to mod and such on windows, but then maybe I should think diferent.

4. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

I don't think you can download Lion from the App Store. Why not get Mountain Lion?

5. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

U can still call apple and they will let you buy a lion code for the app store.

6. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I run 20+ mods on my old 2009 iMac and it runs fine. I wouldn't worry about using Windows for Minecraft.

7. passey macrumors member

get a 240GB Samsung SSD and the seagate goflex thunderbotl adapter and install osx onto that for boot and applications.

8. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

ok sounds good. could you tell me how to install mods like computercraft, tekkit, etc? thanks. i think ill go with the listed specs, use the 500gb hdd internal as my backup drive, and the ssd as my main drive. i mainly just do gaming, internet, and i wont really use it for school cause i use google docs already. i do wanna start animation and photo editing though. i do have an external 500gb drive too. i could use that for backup, and the ssd for the os and apps, and then the 500gb internal for animation projects, and also pictures, and my programing xcode projects.

9. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Your friends sound like Mac/Mac OS X haters...