Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vinny3101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
So this morning I noticed a software update, and it was a new version of iTunes. I subscribed to Apple Music - still don't know how to turn off auto-renual - and saved a couple of songs to my library. I tried to drag them to my iPod Nano 7 gen, and nothing. It won't sync. I don't really care but, I'm still a little disappointed. I just wanted to share it.

But if someone ever does find a way. LET ME KNOW!

-- Vinny :D

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

TechFann

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2014
Did you figure out how to turn off the auto renewal for Apple music
So this morning I noticed a software update, and it was a new version of iTunes. I subscribed to Apple Music - still don't know how to turn off auto-renual - and saved a couple of songs to my library. I tried to drag them to my iPod Nano 7 gen, and nothing. It won't sync. I don't really care but, I'm still a little disappointed. I just wanted to share it.

But if someone ever does find a way. LET ME KNOW!

-- Vinny :D
This might help with the auto renewal part.
https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/disable-apple-music-subscription/

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
It's disappointing but understandable - downloaded Apple music files have DRM on them and I guess that DRM includes a requirement to periodically check the subscription is still active. As older iPods have not internet connectivity there's no way of verifying you are still a subscriber and if they played without that you could fill an iPod with music, cancel your subscription and keep playing the music on there forever

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
It's disappointing but understandable - downloaded Apple music files have DRM on them and I guess that DRM includes a requirement to periodically check the subscription is still active. As older iPods have not internet connectivity there's no way of verifying you are still a subscriber and if they played without that you could fill an iPod with music, cancel your subscription and keep playing the music on there forever

Ipods have had DRM music before. You had to sync them every 30 days as I remember, or else the songs would be invalid.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I remember iPods working with DRMd music but not the 30 day sync requirement. If that's the case I stand corrected and there's no reason Apple couldn't support them (apart from not wanting to!)

Reactions: Arran

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Here's me just thinking out loud... But would you think it's a iTunes 12.2 thing and not so much the file itself saying no? Like what would happen if you just imported that DRM'd file into iTunes 11. It'd probably ask you for the Apple ID info as it should, but then would it actually work in that version of iTunes and bypass the protection that 12.2 has.

vinny3101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
Here's me just thinking out loud... But would you think it's a iTunes 12.2 thing and not so much the file itself saying no? Like what would happen if you just imported that DRM'd file into iTunes 11. It'd probably ask you for the Apple ID info as it should, but then would it actually work in that version of iTunes and bypass the protection that 12.2 has.

I put some Apple Music on a flash drive and moved it to a older Mac with a older version of iTunes. It won't even let me play the music. It kept asking me my ID password, and even when I gave it, the songs wouldn't play. So it's not the version of iTunes.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hm. Fascinating thread, which I have read with considerable interest.

Does this inability to sync music - or drag music from a Library to an iPod only apply to downloaded music from the iTunes store, or does it apply to anything in your iTunes library, (such as ripped CDs)?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Hm. Fascinating thread, which I have read with considerable interest.

Does this inability to sync music - or drag music from a Library to an iPod only apply to downloaded music from the iTunes store, or does it apply to anything in your iTunes library, (such as ripped CDs)?

They are asking about the DRM'd Apple Music files.

It used to be that all music purchased from iTunes had DRM on it, so I was wondering if they were maybe using the same licensing mechanism as in the past and to an old version of iTunes it would just appear as the same old DRM file. But no, it does appear that they've updated it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
They are asking about the DRM'd Apple Music files.

It used to be that all music purchased from iTunes had DRM on it, so I was wondering if they were maybe using the same licensing mechanism as in the past and to an old version of iTunes it would just appear as the same old DRM file. But no, it does appear that they've updated it.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to clarify this.

Logically, it does make some sort of sense that this - refinement of conditional use or access - would (or could) only be confined to downloaded music.

BorderBobNY

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2015
Apple Music and iCloud matching have completely screwed my library. My bought and paid for music collection sits quietly on my hard drive, its location unknown to iTunes. I am in the process of deleting and reloading iTunes right now but I fear that 7 plus years of collections and playlists are about to be lost.

As it is, I run my music library off an 4G iPod running iOS6 because iOS7 and above broke the music player. Not one of my iOS 7 devices will sync my library completely.

I should have known NOT to upgrade

b.b.

Reactions: vinny3101

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If I am reading what has been written about in this thread correctly, does this latest upgrade mean that downloaded music - even already downloaded music, music which has been bought and paid for - can no longer be transferred to an iPod from an iTunes library?

vinny3101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
If I am reading what has been written about in this thread correctly, does this latest upgrade mean that downloaded music - even already downloaded music, music which has been bought and paid for - can no longer be transferred to an iPod from an iTunes library?

Not for me. (I download music from my library all the time)

Well my library is fine, at least as far as I know. I have so many people on my library that stuff does get mixed up, but nothing I can't ever fix. iTunes Match totally screwed my aunt's 5S, and is super mad at me. I had not known that would happen, but whatever. My grandpa just got a touch and 8.4 was a total screw over for me. I had to delete stuff on iCloud because it would show up on his iPod and no matter what I did it wouldn't go away. So i removed it fro the cloud. I still have the music on my Nano and Mac, but there is a little cloud with an ''x" inside. I'm just gonna recover it though. Really don't care.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.