Well i'd like to share my super secret fan noise solution

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by silbeej, Dec 28, 2007.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Just recently my fans would start to buzz a little on my MBP. I just thought to myself, oh god, why now, it's over warranty and i really don't want to deal with this. Got a little pissed at it, so i just smacked it like most things i get pissed at, but which usually cost under 10 dollars, not a 2k laptop. Needless to say, it works perfectly. A little "tap" on the metal above the f- keys, and no problemo, quiet as a baby (whilst sleeping that is).

Ahhahahaa, my engineering degree is starting to pay off.

2. David G. macrumors 65816

I just can't see this as being a good long term solution.

3. Pim macrumors member

Pim

Quiet as a baby, hehehe.
    Not all problems can be solved with a simple smack, like we did with TV's back in the days. Don't be surprised when one day your MB will again be noisy like a baby...

4. evilyankeefan macrumors regular

evilyankeefan

I have an odd spin on this. A few weeks ago, a buzz started coming from my right fan. Was pretty constant throughout the day, so I went and ordered a replacement fan. No sooner than I did that, the noise stopped. All I can guess is what happened is something was in there and got dislodged as I was moving it around. So replacement fan came, but it's sitting around as no noise is coming from it...

...until a couple of days ago, the LEFT fan starts acting up. It's more consistent than the right one was and if I crank it up I'll sometimes get the grinding sound for a couple of seconds. This sounds more like a fan about to go. It definitely was the right one initially as I took the keyboard off to diagnose it and I can tell that it's the left one now. A cold for fans.

The tap tap method works very briefly, but I'm sure that the fan is going to go. So I'll order a left fan this time and see how fast after I place the order it behaves.

Doesn't help that I was planning on upgrading very soon anyways (currently got 2.0Ghz MBP) and I'm patiently holding off until MWSF to see what comes out. :)