Well John Stewart finally woke up

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Obama was naiive, he thought the president of the United States actually had power, but I think as soon as he got into office it dawned on him that the people who really run the show are behind the scenes, and they never change.

4. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I agree; Obama is a victim in all this.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Finally woke up? WTF is that supposed to mean? If anything Stewart has been a voice to cut through the BS politicking for years now. He attacks stupidity, corruption, self contradictions, etc regardless of party or ideology.

If anyone happens to notice republicans and fox news being focused on more often, it may have something to do with their views and slip ups are found to be hysterical by Stewart's audience. He's an entertainer, not a politician.

6. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Stewart has been one of the president's biggest critics. Not sure where this is coming from either. Maybe the OP only watches the daily show once a month or something? :p

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

More likely only when one of these clips floats along his news sources, of which I'm sure are varied to avoid bias. ;)

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well said. Stewart is surely on the left, but he's no partisan hack. He's also got a good bull**** detector, and has a huge public platform with which to call it out. Any conservative who is genuinely shocked that Stewart would actually harshly criticize a Democrat -- even a Democratic POTUS -- simply has no clue about who Stewart is and what he does.

I suspect the reason this kind of thing always shocks conservatives is because it so rarely happens on their side. The GOP is always in near complete lockstep unison on every issue. They enforce doctrinaire discipline rigorously, as the Congressional voting patterns of the past decade -- and even further -- amply demonstrate.

Democrats, by comparison, have little ability to enforce party unity. Witness even Obama's huge majorities in Congress, and the inability to push through party-line legislation. Witness the complete toothlessness with which the oversight powers of Congress were exercised against the Bush regime despite clear signs of illegal activities. Compare that to the investigation storm the GOP produced when Clinton was in the later years of his tenure. The list could go on and on.

Does anyone here actually think the Bush administration would have allowed a 41-seat minority in the Senate dictate compromises to them?

9. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

I agree with you on that point. However, and maybe because I am not American, I find that a lot of international topics he's talking about are not necessarily well done. But this is an American TV show for a US audience, so that's no biggie.

10. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

He's more a puppet than a victim.

11. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I agree; he's not responsible for his actions and decisions.

12. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Yep. The super puppet for special interests and commies. Oh, did I say that out loud?

13. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Puppet in a sense that influence in decisions from parties who have direct interests in those decisions far outweighs his own. There are a lot of rich powerful people who you simply do not want to piss off.

14. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

On the contrary, there are a lot of rich, powerful people and I simply do want them to piss off.

15. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Piss off as in make angry.

Sometimes it seems like I have to go step by step :rolleyes:

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Yeah, I got it. Just having a little fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.