Well, Look What Happened In My Area Today

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Aug 11, 2018.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Here we have a case of not one, but two legally armed citizens stopping an armed robber in his tracks. Given the crime rate in Indianapolis, the odds are this criminal had committed robberies or even worse before. These two citizens should be commended for their quick thinking and actions. Thankfully, in this state they will be not face any repercussions from law enforcement or the family of the criminal.

https://www.theindychannel.com/news...s-northeast-side-shot-and-killed-by-customers

2. widgeteer Suspended

Man-bites-dog story. Guns don’t make you safer.

3. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

The evidence today, and on other days, says you are wrong. As usual. Here we have a case where guns made it safe for all the law abiding people there. Only one it wasn't safe for was the criminal. But you would have rather seen them robbed and possibly killed than have someone legally use a firearm to protect themselves and others. How pathetic.

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

5. widgeteer Suspended

There is no data that supports your position. It why you have to point to one-off incidents, and then give speeches about victims.

6. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Thumbs up!

The funny part(or not so) of this is the gun grabbers are going to file this under “gun death” and use that statistic to push there anti gun agenda.

7. Fugabutacus macrumors regular

So when a situation with guns goes well, it's proof that guns work, but when a situation with guns goes wrong, it's not proof that guns don't work? Is that basically what you're saying?

8. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Until you need one.

9. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

...since when is theft worthy of killing someone? I understand we’re supposed to just assume robbers kill all the time because that how it goes down in the movies and TV shows but aren’t most robberies a grab and run situation?

The story doesn’t even have information on whether it was an armed robbery, without it this just reads as a Wild West shoot em up story which I can’t fathom how this is a good thing.

But hey, let’s just celebrate the dehumanization of a killed man because he was a criminal, hurray. /s

10. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Simple answer, Yes.

11. Fugabutacus macrumors regular

Nice. Can I borrow your "double standards" mini flag and gotcha whistle?

12. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Wow, pretty sure it’s against forum rules to rewrite a quoted post and pass it off as genuine. Let alone to then respond to it with a simple one word response.

13. Fugabutacus macrumors regular

I think the implication is clear. He doesn't care about facts.

14. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Sure why not. How about I go down the sarcastic Avenue as you... Guns are dangerous in good or bad situations? I did not know this.

15. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Why not? The gun grabbers seem to always put more blame on the firearm then the person using it.

16. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

What facts?

17. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

That guns are bad, of course.

18. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

I answered his first question. I fixed my solo “yes” answer. His second question was more sarcastic that has nothing to do with the post.

19. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

You rewrote his post and completely erased part of it. I’m not going to report it, but it’s really low to butcher someone else’s post just to make a flippant point. You don’t get to decide what point someone is making based on your selective reading of it.

Can anyone point to whether the robber was armed? I’m not that bothered if he was threatening the cashier with a gun, but if he wasn’t a man is dead over the chump change at a gas station which is surely insured for robbery. That’s ********, not something to be celebrated.

20. Fugabutacus macrumors regular

Yes, exactly....................
    --- Post Merged, Aug 11, 2018 ---
    Feel free to answer the whole thing if you would rather make your own position clear instead of being speculated upon. We would all like that.

21. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Did the man have a gun? Without that information I don’t know why you guys are cheering that a man is dead over at most a couple hundred dollars that was insured.

22. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Simple. In this situation the use of the firearm is proof that it works. But it’s obvious that there are accidents where the use of a firearm can injure or kill a bystander. It happened where I’m at and it was an LAPD officer that fired his weapon and killed an innocent Trader Joe’s manager. Us gun owners and strong 2A supporters know the risks and dangers that can happen. But I rather be ready than not. Because it’s more proof that an armed criminal vs an unarmed individual will win. Here’s something to add to this post as it’s recent.

“There were kids in the path of those bullets. Thank God none of the kids got hit,” Harvey told reporters after the attack. “To have this happen at an event for the kids, at the ‘Peace in the City’ rally, is just crazy to me. It’s unbelievable. It hurts. It hurts.”

“As the shooter was crossing the parking lot, he was confronted by a bystander, who was licensed to carry a handgun. The shooter drew his weapon again, and the bystander shot him in the head.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...-event-for-kids-an-armed-bystander-was-ready/

23. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Proof? I’ll ask again because the article in the OP doesn’t say:

Was this killed man armed?

24. darksithpro, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018

darksithpro macrumors 6502a

If that where true, then why do Cops carry guns? Also, why do political leaders and members of Congress need armed guards if guns don't make you safer?

25. blackfox Suspended

blackfox

So, where exactly is my freedom, if more and more people have guns and I could have an ever-increasing chance of being caught in the crossfire? I'm glad that a gun makes some of you more comfortable, but it does the opposite to me.