Well, that didn't take too long, re: TARGET bathrooms...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Peter K., Jul 13, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Assuming she is being honest... regardless of gender, there are such perverts that have zero regard for the privacy of their fellow citizens like this. Pretending to be transgender to try to make an excuse is only a more likely outcome given how topical the issue still is. And if she really is transgender, maybe she'll contact Caitlyn Jenner for advice since she is America's role model and we need good role models right now.

It's a shame the non-role model, Larry Craig, didn't pretend to be a transgender woman when looking up stalls in the airport.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Wait so you mean the law doesn't protect perverts regardless of their identified gender? That's the exact opposite of what the right wing people were saying would happen.

3. Peter K. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Not assuming, but are you saying that it is OK that this happened, just because he was caught and is being prosecuted?

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Of course not. But it's not like no one did this before transgender rights became a thing.

5. Peter K. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

I agree, but why give "them" more opportunities?

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Perverts are perverts, and will do what they do regardless of any supposed extra opportunities. These new transgender laws won't give them any more chance, because they're just as likely to be busted at the end of the day.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

How would this give "'them' more opportunities?"

You seem to think that the door to a woman's bathroom is sacrosanct and that perverted men are vampires that cannot cross the threshold until now.

Instead, what we see is a legal system that can prosecute overt acts—taking photographs without permission in a place with an expectation of privacy—rather than an apparent identity.

And, this is one of a handful of cases in a country of 300 million people and has come to light only because the Daily Caller is trying to make political hay.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

No, I'm just trying to point out that laws protecting transgender rights made no difference here.

9. Peter K. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

OK, I'm a little bored right now...

For my purposes, I will hereby define "them": supposed transgender women, who are really just perverted males. This gives "them" more opportunies, because previously nearly half of all bathrooms were off-limits (at Target, anyway).

While it is true that said off-limits bathrooms were/are not impenetrable, at least any normal person could feel safe in calling out/trying to prevent an intrusion without being subject to today's PC army.

Finally, I picked the Daily Caller link "out of a hat". The story is all over the Internet. I was surprised that no one had started a thread before I did.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Exactly, I'm sure this kind of thing happens just as often now as it did 5 years ago, the difference is that then it would have at most made the local papers if it wasn't a politician who was the pervert.

11. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

Careful, your bigotry is showing.

So are you saying that all transgendered people are perverts?

And hell, me as a hetero male have used the female changing rooms before all this hullabaloo started simply because they were closer to where I was at the store and I was in a hurry. No fuss was made because it was behind closed doors. Had I been a pervert, I could have just as easy tried to take pictures over the stalls... but I am not a pervert so I didn't.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

And as the results of this situation illustrate there is no need to fear for yourself if you call out a pervert. Now if you happen to try to tell a feminine looking man to get out of the men's room or a masculine looking woman to get out of the woman's room you will be rightly criticized just as before.

13. Peter K. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Please see my definition of "them" in my more recent post.

14. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

So I wasn't wrong then?

15. Peter K. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

I didn't say all transgender women were perverts, just the ones "...who are really just perverted males."

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The only difference is that a person who is transgendered—which actually covers a complicated range of people—can use the bathroom that fits with their identity without getting hassled by fearful, confused people.

And, yes the story is "all over the Internet" because right-wing sources are pushing it to prove that they were right about scary transgendered perverts. Never mind that for most trans people, getting found out is terrifying.

Yep, a reporter working the cops beat would have shrugged on a story like this less than a year ago and written up a little brief.

Now, it's a big story because of wedge politics.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yep, and I would bet with how big our country is similar things would happen about once a week somewhere, and have been happening for as long as we've had public bathrooms. But now they will start to get reported much more frequently and people will think we have an epidemic when in reality nothing has changed besides the reporting.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Dudes pretending to be women is an old story—see "Bosom Buddies"—the problem is conflating a person's identity with a crime. And, here we should also be careful to differentiate men who dress in women's clothing with transgendered identity.

The goal may ultimately need to be bathrooms that are designed in order to protect individual privacy rather than simply gender separation. And, while we make a big deal about the bathrooms at Target (for example), many public bathrooms are single-stalls where gendered separation is leftover Victorianism.

19. Peter K. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Sounds good to me, however many will complain about how expensive such a wholesale change will be.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Sure. I don't think this should come by fiat, but rather cultural change. A sign of an old bathroom is the urinal trough, which has been entirely abandoned by modern men's room design.

21. Peter K. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Good clarifications; thanks.

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Exactly. And what a coincidence that it comes during a presidential election. That's never happened before. ;)

I guess we know what ALEC has been up to lately.

Off topic I know, but Jesus that's a horrible site. There's like an 80-20 ratio of ads to content, including page-covering pop-ups and other annoying crap. I didn't think the internet could be killed, but sites like that just might do it.

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'd like to know other than reporting this event, what you observe about it. IN other words were do you fall in the transgender bathroom debate? :)
    --- Post Merged, Jul 15, 2016 ---
    What about voyuristic gays (obviously) attracted to their own sex? Could illicit photos be taken? Should we have gay and straight bathrooms? Just feeling you out... ;)

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I think after the movie Ghostbusters no one could really bring themselves to use a trough.