Well this really blew up in our face.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fox10078, Sep 12, 2012.

1. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

U.S. ambassador to Libya, 3 others killed in rocket attack, witness says

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Look forward to the posts supporting the US intervention in Libya and explaining away this attack.

3. opinioncircle, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

There is no explaining to be done. It's a perfect meeting place between fanatics.

On one side, the movie which was done by Sam Bacile, a Jewish fanatic, supported by Terry Jones, a man who wanted to burn the Qumran a little more than a year ago.
    On the other, the reaction which sparkled reactions by fanatics, supported by a massive wave of anti-US feeling.

This is a really unfortunate incident, but let's keep the shortcuts short here. All Americans are not similar to the people involved in this movie, and all Egyptians/Lybian people are not similar to the people involved in the reaction.

Source: http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/09/12/261104/antiislam-movie-made-by-israeliamerican/

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What a terrible incident. All over an online movie about a supernatural being. Condolences to the families of all those involved.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Unfortunately the leadership in the Islamic world will not condemn this attack.

6. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

possibly. except there is a giant gap between the level of fanaticism involved (and their number on either side).
    one thing is to produce an inappropriate movie, but going ******* on a movie on something as ridiculuos and trivial as this and start murdering random people is a level of barbarism that doesn't belong to this world. And hasn't in quite a while.

7. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Terrible, terrible, terrible. It began with an inflammatory incident which was a pretty sick movie, but two wrongs don't make a right and physical violence is a lot worse than a condescending movie.

This is a major issue.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Dude where is the leader of the ultra-right wing nutjobs that caused this speaking up at ?

It is the hate-filled rhetoric that your party propagates that caused this.

I hope your proud.

"A consultant on the film, Steve Klein, said the filmmaker is concerned for family members who live in Egypt. Bacile declined to confirm.

Klein said he vowed to help Bacile make the movie but warned him that "you're going to be the next Theo van Gogh." Van Gogh was a Dutch filmmaker killed by a Muslim extremist in 2004 after making a film that was perceived as insulting to Islam.

"We went into this knowing this was probably going to happen," Klein said."

9. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

You really do have a jaded view of the world that blinds you to everything but your hate of conservatives.

So sad.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Are you fracking serious ?

The blood of the Ambassador is on your hands.
    And all the other neocons that agree with your way of thinking.

"Speaking by phone from an undisclosed location, writer and director Sam Bacile remained defiant, saying Islam is a cancer and that the 56-year-old intended his film to be a provocative political statement condemning the religion."

Hide.

11. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

12. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

Nothing like the Obama administration being the apologists:

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

This just smells like something Sheldon Adelson would finance. If his money ends up being tied to Klein or this project, what are the odds that Mitt gives back the millions upon millions upon millions or even merely distances himself from him? (No, I have no idea if he is connected to this, but would it surprise anyone?)

thewitt, do you think the people who made this film sound more or less likely to be supporters of Mitt Romney as opposed to Barack Obama? Which party is more likely to be anti-Muslim, otherwise have problems with brown people in the middle east, or be willing to try to use homophobia to advance their political goals?

14. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

So if a liberal made a movie about how bad christians are and then the christians would kill liberals, you would sit here defending the christians right? I mean they started it!

And then again is it really about some stupid movie? or maybe about it being anniversary of 9/11?

Islam is the cancer.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

So sad. And pointless.

As an agnostic, most of the time when I think about religion I come to the conclusion of 'to each their own'. Then something like this happens. Now I am starting to wonder if there is anything redeeming about religion, and so much to condemn about it. The arrogance of the people that did this because of their unverifiable belief system....

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Two obvious things ...

1. Obviously, no one should resort to violence because someone depicts your religion in a ridiculous, cartoonish manner.

2. Obviously, this is not a good time to depict Islam in a ridiculous, cartoonish manner, as fanatics are likely to resort to violence because of it.​

I'll leave it up to you to decide how best to proceed from here.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

"IF" ...I keep hearing "IF"..

Well.. "IF" we had used our military like some nutjobs wanted there would be a lot more dead and another war. I think this is what these neocons want. More war..

Let's blame Obama right ? Lets get people killed and blame Obama.

Dude there comes a time when blaming the black guy doesn't work.

18. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

(D) With your women's rights and all. Since we all know (R)'s want to take away women's rights, that's right in line with Muslims.:rolleyes:

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

You comment is funny because it is so close to the truth. Yes, Democrats probably do offend Muslims with their insistance on rights for women, minorities, gays, etc..., while Republicans clearly do have a lot in common with an oppressive religion dominated society.

20. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

What card should I play?

[​IMG]

----------

Maybe it will come out that gay sex and sluts is what really set them off this time. :rolleyes:

21. mcrain, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

You clearly aren't familiar with what happened. The video mocked and attacked the prophet Mohammad and accussed him of being a sexual devient, homosexual and other stuff (edit - including advocating child abuse). I haven't seen it and don't care to, but that's what I'm referring to.

22. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Does the catholic church condemn the invasion of iraq?

23. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Equating the release of a Youtube video with the murder of four people vis-a-vis nothing more than assigning both sides the term "fanatic." Impressive.

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You really should read the news.

25. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Most people opposed to Obama are opposed to his political agenda and lack of leadership and not his skin color. People like you want to make it always about race with him. Petty sad that you have to resort to that.