Well, well... Guess who might have lied, when they said they didn't lie? Again.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JayMysterio, Jul 21, 2017.

1. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...77740635e83_story.html?utm_term=.51b627633ec0

Russia’s ambassador to Washington told his superiors in Moscow that he discussed campaign-related matters, including policy issues important to Moscow, with Jeff Sessions during the 2016 presidential race, contrary to public assertions by the embattled attorney general, according to current and former U.S. officials.

Ambassador Sergey Kislyak’s accounts of two conversations with Sessions — then a top foreign policy adviser to Republican candidate Donald Trump — were intercepted by U.S. spy agencies, which monitor the communications of senior Russian officials both in the United States and in Russia. Sessions initially failed to disclose his contacts with Kislyak and then said that the meetings were not about the Trump campaign.

One U.S. official said that Sessions — who testified that he has no recollection of an April encounter — has provided “misleading” statements that are “contradicted by other evidence.” A former official said that the intelligence indicates that Sessions and Kislyak had “substantive” discussions on matters including Trump’s positions on Russia-related issues and prospects for U.S.-Russia relations in a Trump administration.

Sessions has said repeatedly that he never discussed campaign-related issues with Russian officials and that it was only in his capacity as a U.S. senator that he met with Kislyak.

So....

This guy is just determined to justify his getting thrown under the bus. Then prosecuted in public 'court' as the shifty lying racist pond- ( sorry :mad:! ) that people claimed he was during his nomination. He might actually justify 45's desire for him not having taken the job in the first place.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Trump's so-called best staff ever, is falling down one by one.

3. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

Remember when he said "we're gonna win so much... you're gonna get tired of winning" ?

He can't even keep a staff. :p

4. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

This Trump presidency has been so stressful. The lies are non stop. Its like being in an unhealthy relationship with constant lying.

I'm currently vacationing in Malaysia and I can't even get away from Trump. Everytime I get in an uber or taxi , the driver starts asking me about Trump and making jokes.

The world even knows the man and his swamp is a big con.

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

well, beware someone lying enough and consistently so it becomes akin to Truth. I'm not saying Trump has a plan per se...but obsufucation seems to be his go-to...and that poses problems.

6. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

We should remember that a Russian Ambassador would know his comms are monitored.

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well he is winning kudos with russia every day. we are tried of it.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Er, that would make this classified information, right? Making this public means Russia now knows the US is monitoring this particular means of communication, and they will now try to and probably be able to shut down the US monitoring. So who leaked this to WaPo? Does it say and I missed it?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 21, 2017 ---
    Good point. So maybe the Russians are trying to get Sessions fired? :D

9. jpietrzak8, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017

jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Um, I think both Russia and the US know that the communications of their respective ambassadors are spied upon and closely examined, and have been for decades. There's probably no easy way to avoid such scrutiny.

So yeah, both sides are gonna take advantage of this from time to time by slipping misinformation into their communications. It's the easiest way to take advantage of a situation where your opponent is monitoring you. Although, I'm not sure what Russia has to gain here by implying that Sessions was talking about sanctions if he hadn't been...

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Agree Sessions talking about sanctions is probably true. My main question is who leaked this to the post? Is someone trying to get Sessions fired or forced to resign?

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The security of communications is one of the most important principles of most any diplomatic mission. Important documents are transported between an Embassy and its home country by means of a special case, known as the Diplomatic Bag, which is entrusted to a special courier who is supposed to never let it out of his person. Diplomatic bags are, by law and custom, immune to examination and search by law enforcement and border security personnel in the host country.

Electronic communications between an Ambassador and his foreign ministry are also usually subject to very high levels of security. There is usually a special communications room within an Embassy, equipped with highly encrypted telephone equipment, as well as security measures to prevent surveillance.

The fact that the Russian ambassador was "overheard" discussing his talk with Sessions suggests, at the very minimum, that this conversation may have taken place outside the Embassy, and possibly using an unsecure mobile phone.

If that is the case, then it suggests to me that either Kislyak did not consider the conversation to be particularly noteworthy. Or that he simply was careless. Or, lastly, that he may have done so to deliberate incriminate Sessions or simply mislead US intelligence agencies.

13. darksithpro, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017

darksithpro macrumors regular

I was gonna say, but Night Spring beat me to it, good job NS! So yea, it's very suspicious that the Ambassador phoned back to the Kremlin over an insecure line and let our government intercept the communication. Russians aren't stupid, they played these spy games with the US for decades. They wouldn't make a blunder like that, unless it was intentional. Perhaps the Russians are playing both sides? @jpietrzak8 made a good point, but why? Well... Look at what happened with Ukraine and Crimea. The Russians probably think we're behind the coup. The Russian navy base in Crimea is their only warm water base, and it's vital to their interests in Black Sea. Also, Remember hillary said Putin ran illegitimate presidential campaign back in 2011. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/16/us/politics/hillary-clinton-russia-fbi-comey.html Then we have Condoleezza Rice says Putin is an eye for an eye type of guy and that he wants to de-legitimize our elections.http://www.cbsnews.com/news/condoleezza-rice-vladimir-putin-an-eye-for-an-eye-kind-of-guy/ "He's an eye-for-an-eye kind of guy. We called his elections fraudulent in 2012. And they were. And so now he's going to make ours fraudulent." Trump being the Pied Piper candidate, the Wikileaks timed attack against the DNC and HRC campaign, it wouldn't surprise me if both parties where totally played by Putin from the start.

14. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

The Russians would likely be right. Unless Director Brennan, Ms Nuland, Mr Soros & co had another interest there.

15. darksithpro macrumors regular

Yea, I didn't want to say that we probably where behind that mess.:(

16. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Wait, are you telling us a Politician has been caught lying to the American people?

17. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Difficult to tell when all available news outlets are so biased, one way or another, that truth is no longer an imperative.
    I've taken to including RT in my scan. (By the way and off topic, they're reporting stirrings of trouble in East Africa, with Chinese involvement. Could become something).

18. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

Sessions is already on his way out. My guess is Trump already obtained this information about his conversations, then made the public comment about not hiring Sessions if he knew he would recuse himself. Trump then distanced himself, and (surprise) this story is dropped on us. All part of the same old pattern.

Another idea is he wants someone in Session's position that has the power to make all the Russia stuff go away.

My bet is Trump will replace him with a complete outsider with no connection to Trump or Russia who will then find Trump did nothing wrong, did not collude, and can say with certainty that all this was a withchunt because he is an outsider.

19. darksithpro macrumors regular

All they seem to care about is exploiting natural resources from other countries. I guess not much difference from the colonial days. What about China putting in a base in Nicaragua, after their canal plans vs panama fell through?

20. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Happy to see them spread too thinly. Their dam project in Ethiopia probably start a war, over water, with Egypt, a few years down the line.
    Apologies for thread creep...:)

21. darksithpro macrumors regular

Maybe their border skirmishes with India will cause one too?;)

22. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Sure that is a very plausible assessment of Putin's motives in all of this but it doesn't explain why Trump and his administration are constantly lying about their contacts with Russian operatives. If Trump was just an innocent victim, he wouldn't be trying to derail the Russian investigation. At best, the Trump team seriously contemplated colluding with Russia to win the election by only meeting and discussing the idea with them. At worst, they agreed to it and there was full collusion along with a quid pro quo.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Was the official in this story named or are we just going to take his word for it?

24. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Maybe you'll take the word of your glorious idol? Trump tweeted about the leak this morning and didn't refute in any way the substance of the leak but rather only expressed his disapproval of the leak happening.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ial-pardon-and-again-assails-media/ar-AAoAQTp

It wouldn't surprise me if Trump himself leaked this to the press to give him an excuse to fire Sessions.