Welp..Was waiting on new MBP...its here. Now 512GB or 1TB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bds120, May 23, 2015.

1. bds120 macrumors member

FINALLY the new MBP is here. For some...its not their cup of tea but for me I am just silly excited.

I am typing this message from my 2008 MBP so do you think I will be happy with the 2015...LOL?!?!?

Anyways...I am about to pull the trigger and I am wondering if I should go ahead and get the 512GB or the 1TB.

At the end of the day I could just grab a external harddrive when I start to run out of space or I could just go for the all in one and be done approach.

I am working off a 240GB SSD which I installed in my 08...and working off 80gb free but that is with me paying a lot of attention to what I download or use and deleting items that I don't need.

$450...is a pretty good jump for another 500GB of space.

What would you order.

My future plans are to get into photo editing, video GO PRO, movies and back to software development while working on my website buildout. Additionally running VMs of Microsoft and probably Ubuntu.

2. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

With all that and considering you'll likely keep it 7 years like your other macbook, I might spring for the 1TB. If you're doing a ton of video editing though, you'll likely need more external storage anyway is my guess.

3. magbarn macrumors 68000

If you're going to be working on 4K videos with your Go pro definitely the 1TB. My 512gb is almost full of 4K videos from my AX100. If my 2012 rMBP 15 had a 1TB drive (it wasn't available back then and the 768gb model had a ridiculous price), I wouldn't even be tempted to upgrade to the 2015 model. My D800 RAW files don't help either. I do offload them on to 2TB portable drives, but it's much faster to edit them on the internal SSD.

4. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

I always take the point of view that if you can afford it, get the best of everything when buying computers. They will last you longer that way.

My 2013 rMBP is 2.5 years old and still operates and compares almost better than many of the latest offerings today because it was maxed out with specs when I ordered it.

The $450 for 500GB is too dear, but you have no choice with Apple, so do it if you can afford it.

I have 512GB SSD in mine and have over 300GB free because all my media is stored on a 2TB external USB3 drive.

I've always wanted a 1TB SSD Thunderbolt external but couldn't justify the price 3x to 4x what the USB3 mechanical drive cost.

5. bds120 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for your replies. The extre $450 is not a deal breaker for me as I am slapping this bad boy on my new no interest for 18months card.

Main reason I got this card was so I could buy my new laptop in peace and pay off at my leisure which will still be 6 months max.

I am going to use my student discount. Total for everything including protection plan and 1TB drive is $3168.

Do I hit that submit button is the question...LOL.

Let me go see if my company has a better discount first.

6. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I went 512GB, the 1TB was way too much, plus I will just get a external drive for files as my Mac will be used to create but not really saved too much. Plus 512 is a lot even if I work in UHD stuff.

7. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I'd go for the 1TB, because if you change your mind about storage in the future, you can't. :eek:

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I went with the 512GB drive in my 2015 13" rMBP. The 1TB drive was just more than I wanted to spend.

If you're going to use it, go for it.

9. bds120 thread starter macrumors member

Officially Ordered

Welp,

I just officially ordered the Mid 2015 with it completely maxed out and the Applecare plan extension.

Grand total shipped to me was $3300.

Really excited as I have not had a new quick running computer is roughly 8 years. Last new computer I purchased for myself was back in 2007 and it was a garbage Acer as I needed something fast to finish my college Senior project.

10. Wahlstrm macrumors 6502a

Wahlstrm

Check your alternatives.

1TB is still not big enough for keeping "everything".

I have about 10TB external..
    If I have 9,5TB, 10TB or 10,5TB don't really matter $450 to me.. :)

$450 buys you a lot more than 500GB of storage if you look around.
    Get som nice external SSD´s or thunderbolt raids for your video work.

11. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

So, are you going to be taking your work with you or is this an "at home" MacBook. If you are mobile 1TB is a good idea. The read/write speed on this drive is so fast, so even if your taking an external with you, you may still move the movie to the MBP for editing purposes. However if its not, I would not get the MBP at all, and go with a 5k iMac.

I'm kinda in this boat as well. I want to pull the trigger on the 1TB but 450 is so much. I know I will need it but I have not convinced myself to do it yet lol.

12. bds120 thread starter macrumors member

Yep its mobile. I will be doing a lot of moving around which is why I opted for it. My thing I was stuck on was the fact that I always have believed in a back up copy of everything anyway so even though I have the 1Tb coming, I still will have some redundancy of a external no matter what.

Thats just me...

When you work developing and writing code you learn fast that its always important to have copies of everything.

13. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

1TB to future proof it. 4k eats up space. 10mins of 4k on my go pro takes up 4GB alone

14. bds120 thread starter macrumors member

Dang...didnt even know that. I have yet to really use 4K on my black edition Hero 4.

Very good information. Makes me even more happy about my decision

15. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I'd just get some external SSD's. That seems like the best cost/benefit approach.

16. magbarn macrumors 68000

Yup I use 64gb U3 Sandisk SD Card in my AX100. I get around 1 hour or so only lol. I also have a 256gb SD Card for those really long recitals/weddings...

You can see why my 512gb is so constrained at this point. Congrats on your purchase, you should get at least 5+ years of good use on it.

17. entropi macrumors 6502

All my older macs still work, I keep them for +10 years, so I would choose 1 TB.

18. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I'd get 512gb and use the saved money on external storage. You could get a lot of external storage for the same money. Use the internal 512gb for ongoing projects and externals for old projects and media that doesn't need fast speeds.

19. chaofahn macrumors member

chaofahn

As others have mentioned, I would get the 512GB and then spend the rest on externals. Just seems like the more economical way to do it.

I went from a high end 17" 2009 MBP to my high end 15" 2014 rMBP, and the difference was insane. Was afraid to edit videos on the 2009 - did some on the 2014 and it was ultra smooth and quick to convert. I'm loving it.

20. dannys1 Suspended

dannys1

What i'm slightly concerned about is that Samsung don't make an SM951 in a 1TB configuration and the rMBP appears to use those (with a custom connector) to achieve the 2000MB/s read and 1500MB/s write from benchmarks of the 512gb.

Which begs the question, have Samsung made a custom model for Apple or is it using the last gen 1tb with slower speeds?

21. wct097 macrumors 6502

Nobody that maxes out their storage later wishes that they didn't, unless you miss paying off your promo 0% balance by < $500 at the 18 month mark and end up paying interest for the whole term (assumes a crappy promo card like most store credit cards).

This is true, especially if you're one of us that run VMs. My main development VM has ballooned to ~170gb in space taken up, including snapshots. I'm using a mid-2012 w/512gb. When I upgrade to Skylake, I'll certainly be taking the 1tb option (and max ram if they offer more than the standard 16gb). The proc, on the other hand, I won't be springing to upgrade. Just no point.

22. bds120 thread starter macrumors member

You basically hit the nail on the head for me. By the time I pay this off, I won't even notice that $400 and yep I have the Citi Simplicity card which I ordered just for this day.

Coming from my 2008 to a 2015 is simply put going to be amazing no doubt about it.

23. clovehitch macrumors member

clovehitch

Good strategy. Hopefully the Simplicity card is not like the Barclay, where they will penalize you for the entire interest for a late payment.