Wendy Davis to run for Texas Governor

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Sep 27, 2013.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Good on her. I hope she does well in the race. If I lived back there again, I'd definitely vote for her.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...ibuster-wendy-davis-to-run-for-texas-governor
    BL.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It would be cool if she did well, but I think we have a few more years before the demographics of texas change enough for dems to have much of a chance.

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree. I'd love to see her win, I'll vote for her, but I won't anticipate her winning. Don't want my hopes dashed. Especially when it's from a State that elected that **** wad Cruz.

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Ann Richards and Mark White were both Democrats. I mean, we'll see, she's quite popular.

With regard to the Texas going from Red to Blue a lot of these articles are suggesting, I would expect this to happen in about 20 years and that's assuming the under 30 Republicans go from being socially liberal to socially conservative.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Definitely going to give this woman a vote if I'm still around in this state at that time! :)

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I believe it's a matter of survival. Sure the die-hards will stick to their guns until they are voted out. The pragmatic ones will shift. I all most fell off my chair when I read about President Bush (the smart one) who acted as a witness at a gay wedding. I voted for him the first time around and consider him one of the old sensible school of 20th Century Republicans, not the present day Looney Toons that are running that party off a cliff. They have their own self centered reality, but I acknowledge it was voters who put them in charge of their districts. I really hope they can fix the gerrymandering issue in this country. That might help get saner people into office.

7. Huntn, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Then why even show the wheelchair in the first place? Her campaign could have made the same points without it.

It's just not smart, in my opinion. This is the same camp who embraced the slogan "Stand with Wendy" against Abbott - a man who can't stand. Whether it was intentional or not, it simply isn't smart. Surely it occurred to SOMEbody in her camp that it would get interpreted as a dig at him, whether it was intended or not.

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

To be fair, that slogan is directly related to her filibusters - one which put her in the national spotlight. It was a popular hashtag on social media during the abortion filibuster.

Why change that because the guy she's running against is in a wheelchair? She would have used it against Perry, or anyone else that was running against her.

For the record, I HATE all campaign ads and think she probably shouldn't have approved the one in question. All those ads do is feed more BS into an already under-educated voter base.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The wheelchair is a symbol of people who have been injured that Abbot, through his policies would be deprived of a benefit and those policies are coming from a person who should have some empathy, but does not appear to have enough. That is the message.

Me too. I think the campaign season should be shortened by law to no more than 3 months. I hate smear ads, but I don't think this qualifies as one, and am highly amused that a party who refined the concept of smear ads would be crying foul over this one, and am disgusted they are trying to twist the message of this ad into something it's not. Oh, yeah, that's what the GOP does more so than any one else to my knowledge.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Of course she couldn't leave it alone and held a press conference today with lots of people in wheelchairs. Looked like she was using them for props.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Or she knows lots of people in wheelchairs who are happy to support her. That's politics.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

And this is why I hate politics and politicians.

No matter their original message, these campaigns always seem to end up looking like a 3rd grade playground fight.

14. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

What this tells me is that not only did she get backlash from it, she's trying to play damage control from it; she knows this didn't work as well as she wanted it to, plus is reacting to Abbott's attack on her.

this may come to bite her in the end.

BL.

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

She doesn't seem to look bad. Or at least she got a talented makeup artist.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

In another forum, you referred to PRSI as a joke. Either post ones that are funny or quit the trolling.

17. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Honestly, I think at last check (before all this crap) she was down 12 or 13 points. She was always fighting an uphill battle. This may look bad, but I don't think it will effect the outcome at all.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

She put out an ad.
    The opposition cried foul based on misleading accusations.
    Her option is to let it lay while the opposition makes hay or she can counter the accusations. This is the reality of politics and those operating in the political arena. While I don't advocate winning at all costs, what she did is considered prudent, imo. She is in an extremely tight race and can't afford to allow her opposition to take a nugget of truth and spin adverse narratives around it.

19. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I understand why she did it. In a perfect world, politicians wouldn't have to play these games, or stoop to the level of their opponents to win an election.

I also believe that if she was closer in the polls, the GOP would throw every piece of garbage at her they could to ensure a victory.

At the end of the day, the majority of Texans will vote for the guy with an R next to his name, whether it's truly good for Texas or not. Texas is close, but not there yet. As I said before, we're dealing with a under-educated voter base.

It's been a frustrating campaign, to say the least.

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Because there are people who either don't know or don't care that she used that slogan for something different before her gubernatorial run; what some people are going to see (and read) is that she's using the slogan "Stand with Wendy" against a guy in a wheelchair, regardless of what she USED to use that slogan for.

Like I said, surely there was somebody in her camp who realized this. It just wasn't a good idea.

If only everybody would see that, and only that - but we don't live in such a world.

It's not normally like you to throw insults like this around, but are you actually saying that the reason people vote for Republicans is because they're under-educated?

21. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Or willfully ignorant....

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

...ignorant of what? Or is it simply an insult on your part?

23. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Ignorant to the consequences of voting for a party who aims to ensure that the gap between rich and poor continues to grow and destroy the middle class, strip workers of rights, strip minorities of rights, strip women of rights, destroy the environment for "deregulation" purposes, and generally force a Koch backed vile right wing agenda into law.

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

So, you're not really talking about "ignorance," you're simply using that word to insult someone whose opinions differ from your own.

25. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Why? Should she treat him or act differently because he's in a wheelchair?

She became nationally recognized when she filibustered the abortion bill. Something she had to do while standing. I don't see anything wrong with keeping a slogan that catapulted her into that race to begin with.

I think that there are a great number of people who continue to vote for people based on their party affiliation, ignoring important things like voting records and public service history. They are in essence voting against their own interests and they don't realize it. Or they just don't care.

If people educated themselves before stepping into voting booths we wouldn't be so far apart as a country. And that goes for Republicans and Democrats.

I didn't mean it as an insult to all that vote republican, but if you don't think that voters - especially in this day and age - aren't under-educated you haven't spent much time around campaigns.

Look at your example above - there is no good reason for people to be offended by or upset about that slogan. But people will because they don't know any better.