Wendy's Removes Soda Option from Kids Meal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by giantfan1224, Jan 15, 2015.

1. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/01/15/wendys-drops-soda-kids-meal-fast-food/21814699/

Kind of reminds me of the war on drugs. Do you spend more effort attacking the supply side or the demand (or the same amount)? I personally don't see what Wendy's is doing as helping child obesity much at all. When I take my kids to McDonalds or Wendy's it's a rare occasion and a treat for them. In those cases I have no problem letting them indulge in some soda. I realize that for some families the trip to the fast food joint is a regular thing. That's where education and availability of healthy, affordable alternatives are important (the demand side).

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The issue is that high fructose corn syrup is terrible for you. In flies, given enough fructose, they will eat until they explode. Now we're obviously not fruit flies, but the basic principle still stands: Fructose encourages eating more, and if you can save 50 calories a day, that might be the difference between a healthy body weight and obesity.

I have no issue with this.

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Off to google/youtube, because I am hoping there is a video of flies exploding!

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If you're at Wendy's, you should be getting a frosty anyways. Those damn things are delicious.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I haven't been to a Wendy's in ages, but I don't think I ever ate there and didn't get a Frosty.

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Those things are freaking addicting..... No need to add toppings, nothing. They rock all on their own!

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I used to love Wendy's baked potatoes. I might go their today just to grab one. :D

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

potatoe + salad+ chili :D

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Salad? What are you? Some kinda vegan? Everyone knows it's potato + chili + vanilla frosty for max flavor.

11. giantfan1224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I always enjoy the french fry dip in the frosty.

12. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Oh right; I forgot about them. I may have to visit again.

13. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

Mmm Wendy's, though my child likes the milk more than the soda anyway. No big loss. I go for unsweetened tea myself :)

That said I am also getting hungry for a double cheeseburger

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

From your link:

It's still an option if you want to indulge your kids, but it's not openly an option. They are offering the more healthy options, and you can decide if you want the less-healthy option.

I don't see a reason to get bent out of shape about it.

----------

They do, but do you remember the ones with Oreos or Butterfingers? Dammit...I need one RIGHT NOW.

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I just see this as a PR thing. Just like other companies, upper management at Wendy's is doing something that they think will either be directly profitable or worth enough in PR to offset any minor losses. I think one of the biggest issues is availability of information. If people have access to the knowledge of just how bad a specific menu item is for them, they can make a more informed choice.

16. giantfan1224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

1) I'm aware it's still available.

2) Who's getting "bent out of shape about it"???

17. kds1 Suspended

kds1

I like this, just the same as I like that CVS has stopped selling cigarettes.

18. samiwas macrumors 65816

I'm sure some free-market purists will get bent out of shape, but I'm not suggesting that you are. Just saying I don't see a reason for anyone to.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Huh ? This is a fact food chain. I think they can sell whatever they want.

20. kds1 Suspended

kds1

They can, and they've chosen not to.

21. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

They can and they still do.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

YES!!!

Everybody I know thinks I'm crazy for doing that. Glad I'm not the only one!

23. giantfan1224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I started the thread because I thought it might be an interesting discussion on the possibility of it actually having a positive change towards reducing child obesity. As someone has suggested, it's most likely just a PR stunt on Wendy's part.

----------

The salty with the sweet and creamy of the frosty. Mmmmm. I think I'm going to have to take a detour on my way home from work. :)

24. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

No. It's potato+value chicken nugget+salad+chili+CHOCOLATE frosty+value fries. You chop up chicken and put in salad, eat the chili, and dip your fries in the frosty for desert.

...come on, I can't be the only one...:D

25. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Wendy's chili cheese fries are amazing. I love their snack wraps too. Probably my favorite fast good chain.