Wendy's response to higher minimum wages

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

This is nothing new. This has been tried for many years. Fast food places keep trying them, including an Arby's near me. They lasted about a year and were ripped out. Seems that people prefer ordering and interacting with a person still. Same story at my health provider. They haven't ripped the machines out, but no one uses them.

So Wendy's will try this and let's see what things look like in a couple years. I bet it won't turn out like they think.

3. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

It took a while for it to catch on at grocery stores, but now Walmarts almost always have more self-checkout lanes than human cashiers.

It'll happen eventually, and probably sooner rather than later if people who earn the minimum wage keep insisting on pricing themselves out of a job.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I stand in line instead of the self check out at walmart so some can keep their jobs.

5. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

As if automation wasn't inevitable anyway? This does nothing to take away from the argument for a higher minimum wage. If anything, the more industries that get automated, the stronger the argument for a universal basic income gets.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I have it easy and I use Walmart's pickup service. Order online, drive there, pop the trunk, have two individuals put all the bags in the trunk, say bye, drive home.
    Excellent service, incredibly low prices (and since I know exactly how much I am spending while ordering, I save a lot of $$$), I save two hours a week, and as a plus they keep their job.

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

You're a better man than I am. Walmart cashiers are the worst IMO. Maybe I'd do that at my neighborhood grocery store but definitely not at Walmart. :D

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That would have happened either way. Using their numbers, the technology would have been cheap enough to implement without any changes to minimum wage laws. Their projections indicate a savings of 1612 labor hours per year at an implementation cost of $15000. It doesn't mention costs of operating this equipment, but they probably aren't that high. Consider that labor costs trend upward over time due to typical inflation of housing, food, clothing, transportation (even a bus pass), etc. The cost of technology has trended downwards anywhere manufacturing costs are sufficiently low.

I think you are just trying to push an agenda here. I hope the general population gets over this, because it's impractical. We haven't maintained full employment in decades, yet the cost of basic expenses has increased over time.

9. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Training people to do higher valued jobs instead of paying them more to do jobs that have less and less value....

:eek:

That's brilliant!

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

NOT much issues with their cashiers, now Home depot is another story, they really go all out and have ONE cashier open most of the times I have been there, they really SUCK.

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Checkout lines are different for some reason. People are willing to use them to get through a line quicker. That doesn't translate to fast food places. Maybe because ordering is slower that way? Same at a place near me called The Melt. They have a machine literally directly in front of the door, yet people ignore it and walk up to the counter instead to order. And I do too!

Ironically I have noticed that Target and some supermarkets close their self checkout lines late at night forcing you to use a person. I have found these machines don't work very good either, often requiring intervention by a human employee anyway. Virtually every time I use them something goes wrong. More frustration than benefit.

12. yaxomoxay, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I don't disagree that it would've happened sooner or later. Actually, I DO agree.
    My question is the timeframe. Has minimum wage accelerated the process in a way that the low-paying job market has no time to catch up? (ex. less time for low paying workers to gain new skills,ec.)

13. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

No, the more industries get automated, the stronger the argument for people who can manufacture, program, and service the machines. That's where more jobs will be.

Basic economics.... If people want higher wages, they have to learn skills that are more valuable and pay more. Raising the minimum wage is only going to cause more displacement, especially at the lower end of the scale.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 28, 2017 ---
    Interesting, I've seen the opposite... the Home Depot in my town does not even have human checkers from 6 AM to 10 AM during the week. It's all the self service kiosks, supervised by one person in case someone needs assistance. And when the human checkers do show up, there is only one of those.

Up until recently, many new stores added 12-15 cash registers. But only 1 or two were ever open. Now I'm seeing less of those and more self service checkouts.

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I stand in line and wait because if I'm doing their job I expect a discount.

15. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Ultimately robots are going to take over vast swathes of peoples jobs. Self checkouts, factory robots and automated telephone systems are just the tip of the iceberg.

In the end this will be bad for everybody. Robots don't earn a wage to pay tax on earnings and don't spend money into the general economy. The wealthy may be the last to lose their jobs to automation but when the majority of the tax base has already gone they will be enjoying their riches in post apocalyptic world.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

tax robots................ :p

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

What round for tax robot?
    [​IMG]

18. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

I make an effort to use a live cashier when I go through a store that has self checkout, but most stores I visit do not have self check out lanes. I avoid places like Walmart.

19. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Yeah that's definitely a pain. I try to go mid-morning on a weekday to guarantee I'm literally the only person in the store!

But now, the Home Depot by my house has 4 self checkout terminals, so it's pretty nice now.

I agree there are definitely kinks. But it seems to be getting better in my experience (at grocery stores). I have to admit, I've seen some of the terminals shut down late at night at Target, don't know what that's about,but I've never gone to a store where 100% of the machines were down.

You might be right about fast food, maybe it doesn't work now but I don't see why it wouldn't eventually. The interactions that I tend to have when I order fast food aren't particularly deep/meaningful/valuable so I see no reason why I couldn't use the same touchpad that the person taking my order is using. I believe customers don't necessarily value person-to-person interaction, I think they're just used to it, just like people were used to full-service gas stations. Now you can't many of those anywhere.

20. SusanK macrumors 68000

Walmart is the pits. I was in a never moving line there one day. It was the type of progress that has people making friends in line. When it was my turn the cashier removed the divider and began to ring up my purchases. She then removed the divider at the end of my order and started to ring up the items belonging to the man behind me. I stopped her or at least tried to.

She was very upset with me. Told me if was my fault since the man and I were talking so we must be married. She decided to ring up both orders together.

I refused to swipe my credit card unless she voided out the order and started over. She had all kinds of attitude. I wished my pretend husband good luck and left the store. Walmart is one step from hell on a good day. I have not been in a Walmart since. Life is too short.

I use a proprietary hardware store. Help keep a small business going and they have an interest in customer service. Well worth the few pennies that may be in a markup. The only things they many not have are automotive items so Autozone gives excellent service.

As for food I would not consider consuming anything from Walmart.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If I went to Wendy's I would ignore these and go up to the counter. If they caused the counter to have too long of a line I would go elsewhere.

22. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Don't laugh. I'm sure the libs are already frothing at the mouth to implement a tax on robots.
    http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/17/bill-gates-job-stealing-robots-should-pay-income-taxes.html

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Maybe, but I have seen fast food try this idea for literally a decade now. Still not working. And that's plenty of time to get used to something.

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

If it's like the HD and Lowes here they're also on the opposite side of the store when I am ready to check out.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Some grocery stores pulled out the selfies because they were said to have slowed down the lanes.