Wendy's says over 1,000 locations affected by credit card breach

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cineplex, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

Source:https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/08/wendys-malware-credit-card-data-breach/

So I kept having my credit card number stolen....every month from 01/16 until last week. After talking with my credit card company it turns out they've known about this for a while and Wendy's didn't bother telling it's customers. I got the impression they have known for quite some time. From what I understand they used the same password for all the POS systems across the country for remote access. If that wasn't bad enough, they gave it out to vendors on a regular basis. So someone working for a vendor stole it. So that is one part of the story. The other involves Nordstrom.

My card was used EVERY time at a Nordstrom in Brooklyn, NY. The big question on my mind is how is that possible? How has Nordstrom not noticed a large volume of fake credit cards? The bank told me that cards were not swiped, but run manually. How is that possible? The worse thing about it....nobody seems to care. There is a band of thieves working at that store and nothing is being done about it.

So you can't trust Wendy's or Nordstrom.

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

There was a ripple on the news a couple weeks ago about a breach at Wendy's, and there was suspicion that it was larger than reported at the time.

One thing to say - glad I don't eat there, even with one around the corner from where I work.

3. Cineplex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

That was my problem...I can see it right out my office window. But I will not go there again anytime soon. If they just came out and said it...fine...but hiding it since January...not cool.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yeah, I did hear about it awhile ago too. Capital One even gave me a new card number as a precaution. I don't remember the last time I even used that card there. Ours caught on fire and has been opened and closed twice since then for remodeling.

If the reader can't read the bar on the back of the card, they have to enter it manually. There's as many legit reasons as there is people trying to screw companies over.

You'd think Nordstrom would have to deal with stolen credit cards constantly to be honest.

5. Cineplex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

Manual card entry should just be eliminated. We were supposed to be on the chips already but laziness and stupidity are keeping that behind. I met a shop owner that refuses to switch because he'd have to move the card reader to the counter instead of behind him. It's time for mag strips and manual entries to go away. I had a Providian credit card back in 2001 with the chip...it took this long! Europe has been on it for a long long time. We are clearly the ones holding 100% adoption up.

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Use cash. No chance of getting hacked.

7. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

There's a pizza/sub place near where I work (I have to pass the Wendy's to get there) that hasn't switched. I asked him, he said he didn't want to spend the money to make the change, I think there was something about the amount of time for the transaction that was another concern about the switch. Once he's become liable for fraudulent charges on stolen cards a few times I bet he makes the switch.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Just robbed, or lost.

9. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

This is why fast-food outlets should aggressively introduce NFC terminals that support Apple Pay and Android Pay.

10. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

When was the last time you were robbed or lost your cash money ?

11. JackieInCo macrumors 601

True but then again, cards can get lost as well.

I lost my wallet back in April which had cash and credit and debit cards. Doesn't matter what you carry.

Any time I got to a restaurant, I pay with cash.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

When was the last time most people had their credit cards illegally used by someone? Sure, it's something more common, but at the same time most don't experience either, while some experience one, and others experience another, and others still expeience both.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 9, 2016 ---
    Sure, but cards can be replaced and charges stopped and/or covered by the bank, while cash is just gone.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, but you're not responsible for those charges on your credit card. My credit card number got stolen somehow, they canceled it and overnighted me a new card. If I lost the cash, I would be SOL.

Plus I've gotten 4 free flights out of my rewards points and still sitting on enough to go anywhere in the world I want. Credit cards are awesome.

14. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I would be inclined to think it happens to everyone. Everyone I know has had it happen multiple times.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's a truly anecdotal and statistically insignificant sample. Everyone you know? Multiple times too? Quite an interesting group it would seem. I'm sure there are plenty of people that haven't had it happen not know anyone that had it happen, let alone multiple times.

16. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Agreed so here is the national reported statistics on credit card fraud.

(Twenty four percent of American investors -- 28 percent of women and 21 percent of men -- have had their credit or debit card information stolen through a computer hack attack).

As much as you don't want to admit it, credit card fraud is a rampant problem although the chip should greatly improve it. Cash is still the safest.

17. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

My parents have never had it happen to them. I only had it happen once, and I have always suspected that it was from this one site I used to use that went defunct. My information has been disclosed in 12 security breaches at this point though. :(