Went in the store today to look at RMBP, considering cancelling order

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mongol, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Mongol macrumors member

The screen is amazing.

But, the form factor is just not very portable, even though it's thin. 15" is just too big.

I think it would be fine as a desktop replacement, in which case, the thinness is pointless. It's too big framewise to be a "carry everywhere" notebook.

Considering getting the 11" or 13" air instead, because I need something super portable, but not an iPad because I'm a developer so I need to be able to compile things.

Also the fact that my RMBP order won't be shipping until end of this month doesn't help either.

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Well if your primary concern is portability, then the RMBP isn't for you. 13" MBA will serve you much better. I had a 13" MBP and loved the size and weight but hated the small screen. New retina is lighter and thinner, but it will use up more of my desk space which is not much of an issue for me. But portability wise, I look at it as being just as portable as my 13" MBP.

3. J.L.Photography macrumors 6502

i think you were looking into the wrong MB from the get go, portability = MBA...

good luck!

4. mackry macrumors member

Did you think Apple figured out how to make 15" appear to be smaller than 15"? I don't understand...

5. touko macrumors newbie

There are some people, I for example, find 13" simply unusable.

6. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I have a bag which I got originally with the requirement that a MBA fit in it.

I tried my spouse's 15" MBP (previous gen). It fits, although it's a bit tight. This isn't a full-size backpack, it's barely bigger than a purse. The machines aren't all that huge.

7. Mongol thread starter macrumors member

did you use it for the 13" MBA?

the RMBP is gigantic compared to the 11" MBA..

8. macNewbie02 macrumors regular

Like.

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Breaking news: 15" confirmed to be bigger than 11"

10. Surely Guest

Surely

11. Qbiinz macrumors newbie

what were you doing 5 years ago when almost all laptops were 2x as thick and 1.5x as heavy? i think 15 inches is the perfect size. this new line of RMBP's gives you the best combination of portability and performance of any laptop ever.

ps i just got my RMBP and im loving it

12. PAPO macrumors 6502

I don't get people who think the 15" is so big, I carted one around high school for 2 years and the a year of tertiary study as well, and this wasn't even a unibody, it just wasn't a problem, and the thing I REALY don't get is how people can use a 13" screen for an extended period of time let alone the 11"

not to mention I took my 15" unibody all the way from Australia to the US, and then 6 weeks of moving from place to place within the US and then back home to Australia.

if you want something portable, learn to carry more