went into a at&t store with a hacked tmob iphone to get at&t sevice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by travis64, Nov 18, 2008.

1. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

im on tmoblie and want at&t but they said i have to sign a 2 year contract just to get a sim and port my #.but i already paid for the phone

is there anyway around this?dont want a another 2 year:mad:

2. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

no there is not, you must sign the contract pretty sure every cell carrier is like this

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

huh? of course you need to sign a contract.

you just paid for the phone, not the service......

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    The title of this thread is misleading to me. :rolleyes:

5. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

6. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

This is what you do--

Get their service, and take whatever is the best "free" phone that they're offering these days.

Use the sim in that phone, in your iPhone, and sell the "free" phone on eBay or craigslist.

That should at least partially make up for any early termination fee that you acrue. :)

If you complain about activation fees, they will usually wave that too. ;)

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I was hoping for an exciting/dramatic story. :D

8. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

A sausage party
    :D

9. daisuke07 macrumors regular

ya the title is very misleading. i thought they were going to cancel your warranty

10. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Same [Sigh]

11. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Oh noes. Contact the authorities!

Or better yet, call ATT ahead of time, explain your situation and they will give you a list of options.

Then either sign up with them.

Or don't.

It really is that simple.

12. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

13. travis64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

travis64

ok i know i wanted to join at&t but i didnt want a contract,waiting for new iphone in summer.

he said u go home and sign the 2 year on itunes.but my phone is already hooked up to itunes and unlocked so maybe i dont got to do that?

really dont want to sign another 2 year just got out of tmoble today :(

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

how can you join AT&T without having a contract:rolleyes:

if you want service on your iphone with AT&T you HAVE to sign a contract. no if's and's or but's about it. you can not have a pay as you go plan on the iphone

15. travis64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

travis64

yea but this guy was trying to get me to sign a 2 year without getting anything in return.at least make it a 1 year

he left the sim in it and i just left the store when he told me that.he put a 3g sim in it so i didnt think this guy knew what he was doing anyway.

guess i just get the 3g if i got to sign a 2 year no matter what.

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I think it is still confusing on what you want out of this? you want to sign up for service, but no, you just want the service.

Why would you get a 1 year contract when it is a two year policy? because you have the phone already? When signing the 2 year contract you are not also paying for the phone.

Are you after a 3G iPhone?

Also FYI- AT&T and T Mobile use the same towers

17. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Gee, what a surprise. What did you possibly expect?

18. travis64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

travis64

i put my friends iphone next to mine at work and i have 1 and he has 5 bars with at&t

i only dont get signal at my job only get 5 bars if i place it by the window

so i dont think they use the same towers in long island

i just wanted to use at&t and wait till a new iphone came out ,but now when it comes out i will have to pay full price

anyone think iphone will go down in price before this year is over

19. jdcrow711 macrumors regular

not sure if any old rep can help if you need a smart one -- customer owned and maintained postpaid service is what you want. its uncontracted - but at&t loves to restrict the iphone so they might not let it.

20. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Now that he's explained it, maybe someone could shed more light on it.

He wants to sign up with AT&T in a way where he'll still be upgrade eligible when the next iPhone comes out this summer (assuming it's one iPhone per year :p).

Here's what I think. If you have an unlocked iPhone, then your only choice would be to get a pay as you go phone, then run off of that. But I might be wrong...

21. aristobrat macrumors G5

Verify with the guy, but you can use your "initial discount" later on down the road. For example, you should be able to sign a 2-year contract now, get no phone now, and then use the discount you're eligible for this coming summer.

It's called "bringing your own equipment". Since AT&T didn't give you a subsidy (since you bought your phone on your own), they don't need you to commit to a contract. You pay for the SIM, pick your plan, and you get billed every month just like anyone else. It's not Pay as you Go. They used to restrict you from picking any "promotional" plans, and all of the good plans were promotional, so I'm guessing the iPhone plans are considered that.

As a blanket statement, that's not true. In pretty much every market, there are towers that all carriers lease spots on, but I've never heard of a market where AT&T and T-Mobile are literally only on the same towers. And even if they were, the number of antennas they use on the tower, and even the frequencies they use for their networks can be dramatically different.

22. travis64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

travis64

23. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

For real guys, in every other case, if you bring your own device to a carrier, you are not required to sign a contract. They get you to sign the contract by giving you a subsidy on a new phone. No subsidy, no contract. The fact that AT&T is breaking with this practice is pretty sleazy. What, exactly, is the OP getting from them by signing a contract??

24. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Just sell your old one contract free on Ebay. You'll usually make up the money for the new one.

25. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

There is an agreement where you do not sign a contract if you provide your own phone. The only thing is that many of the sales people at the store simply don't know about it or won't tell you the truth. The next time you go back, speak with a manager or call customer service.

If you get no results, do what the others said and get the most expensive phone you can get and sell it on eBay (just don't open the box).