Went to a dinner party and saw one of these....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Irock619, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

IMG_0545.JPG IMG_0546.JPG

I was impressed to see one of these because I have never witnessed one in person before. This machine was in the kids room just laying around, and it works! Are these machines worth a small fortune?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's a G3 iMac. Sadly they aren't worth very much. If you're wanting to buy one, you should look locally. They usually cost more to ship than their purchase price. They're also a bit slow and can't run much modern software, but they do have very good speakers and look rather nice.

3. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

Ok I thought so. I was wondering the whole time at the party if that computer is worth a pretty penny and the owner (my friend) just didn't know it. However, I love seeing older technology in homes. Especially technology that has become something amazing over the years.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The only G3 era Macs that ever got valuable are the clamshell iBooks and the flower power and dalmatian iMac G3. Even then, they don't fetch much more than $75 at the most.

5. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Had one around the house no one used it, took it out on trash day ...........

6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I remember those! They were popular when I was in college. I'm so happy they stopped the plastic colored line! The towers and laptops looked that too! They were ugly!

7. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Those were used when I took my first computer class in 1st grade... lol.

8. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

The one I used in school was a green screen macintosh lol!

9. madman7395 macrumors newbie

At my high school there are a lot of these laying around. I have also found two older ones. I will try and get a picture of them, I do not know what they are but they are huge, tan, and very old looking.

10. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

The first thing I noticed was the CRT monitor. I've hated those things for years. Not only do they take up a massive amount of space, but they are hard on the eyes as well.

We have just one at work, in an area where it's not used much, and I've been on a quest for a couple of years to get it replaced just so we get more needed work space in the area.

Neat oldie though.

11. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

They're worthless. I've had two of these: they where my first computers.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I bought one ~4 years ago to try and get and old game running for a friend, think I paid $30 for it.

13. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

Well this thread went to hell lol. Thanks for the honest replies. The computer is never used and is collecting dust. If it was worth something I was going to try and bargain something for it. I checked craigslist in my local area it seems G3 iMacs are worth around $100 at the most.

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's a bit much for a G3 iMac. Unless it's a rarer colour or a pattern one.

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: Please stay on topic and avoid useless animated GIFs.

B

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Right. I bought one a few years back on eBay for exactly $100. They aren't worth much at all. Now if you go to another dinner party and see a functional Apple I, you may have found something of value!