Went to a show last night and my right ear hasn't stop ringing...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Nov 15, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Should I be worried? I've been to other shows and clubs just as loud, and usually after a night of sleep it goes away. I can only hear the ringing when I'm in a relatively quiet area. Any input would be nice. And yea this ain't the best place for medical advice, but it's all I got.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

i've had it last for 4 of days before and then it went away. Needless to say i'm a lot more careful now, I take ear plugs to gigs.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Years of drumming have left me with a ringing from time to time. If I'm at a show I always have ear plugs with me. It could last a few days. But each time you do more damage to your ears.

5. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

At one time I was pretty close to it, but not directly in front of it. I was like on the side of it.

4 days eh? I'll wait a couple more days and see if it improves. I'll take caution now, never did I even think about ear damage. :rolleyes:

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Anything over 80 db can cause serious damage, lawn mowers are loud enough to cause harm.

7. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

And unfortunately it doesn't "heal". Once it is damaged, it is damaged permanently.

8. Heath macrumors regular

It is permanent damage, but you'll adjust. It is also cumulative damage, so if you continue this route, it'll get worse. Buy earplugs for next time. many years of loud shows and loud earphones has left me with a constant ringing in my ears.. it never ever goes away. So unless you want that ringing to never stop, invest in some earplugs for future loud encounters.

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Ahhhh...those were the days! :p

[oldmanvoice]what?! Joo say sometin?[/oldmanvoice]

10. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

11. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

A band called Against Me and Sage Francis. I was there to see Sage, He's pretty much my favorite. If I was to choose a fav it'd be him. Got to talk to him which was very cool. Seeing him live and meeting him checks off an item on my life to do list. :D

12. thecritix macrumors 6502

sorry to be a bit random.. but this just made me think of how helpful stemcell research would be for deaf people.
    imagine impllanting the tissue to repair/replace it..
    wow, but then i guess you could do it with every organ in the body and live forever... wow can of worms!
    lol

13. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Agreed!!! But I'm not biased at all...

(I work in a human embryonic stem cell lab)

That line of thinking keeps me employed! :D

14. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I wanted to see Against Me at House of Blues in Orlando Florida but had to work late the night of the show and early the next day. :(

I heard from several coworkers and Disney security that there were several arrests and a few people needed medical attention. Anyway, I had already heard them at Capital Hill Block Party in Seattle earlier in the year.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What is "ringing", and what does it sound like?

I have permanent damage in my left ear. Whenever I go to a concert, or sometimes to a club with particularly loud music, my left ear sounds like it's "fuzzing", or it's like a "sparking" sound, where my ear sounds like it's shorting out. Or just imagine my ear being continuously being plugged with water, and then unplugged, and then plugged up again in some cycle. It's not just noise --- I can actually feel it.

16. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

If it dosent stop after a few days you should sue the place you went to! :D

Anyway thats nothing, I can always hear very quiet sounds at the same volume as the normal loud ones, and I can hear everyone breathing and its so annoying! I can also hear high pitched "screaching" sounds made by things like my phone charger... Off-topic but oh well. :D

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

ALWAYS take ear plugs with you to concerts / shows. If you forget, you can stick wadded up balls of toilet paper in your ears. Not quite as good, but still helpful.

Yeah, I remember the days when I would stick my head in the speakers at a Slayer concert... Not so smart, looking back on it.

18. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

How does the db system work exactly?

For example, when I'm on the bus I can barely hear my iPod, even when turned up to 'high' decibel levels. And yet, when people talk to me on the bus, i can hear them loud and clear. So is their talking more damaging than listening to the iPod?

OP: I play in multiple bands and wear earplugs all the time, gigs and rehearsals. Protect your hearing while you've still got it :)

19. Heath macrumors regular

It's difficult to describe, but in my case it's a very high pitch ringing. For those of you who can hear a CRT tv or monitor when they are turned on, it's like that but a bit higher frequency. I've been tested and am completely deaf at those frequencies now, simply because I can't tell the difference between the actual sound and the constant ringing. Not a nice thing to have, but I'm used to it now since the volume isn't too terribly bad.

20. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I suffered a snowboarding injury to my head three years ago that left me unable to walk for two days because I was too dizzy.

I hit my head and shook up all the little gel-type bones in my inner ear. The dizziness went away but I have and (apparently) will always have a very high-pitched whistle in my left ear.

You do get used to it but sometimes it drives me mad.

Hopefully yours will go away.

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

As others have said, wear ear plugs because you are permanently damaging your hearing. And not just when you go to shows, but when you mow the lawn or do anything around loud noises you should always protect your ears.

The tinnitus (ringing) I have has gotten bad enough that if I don't have a source of white noise in my bed room (such as a fan) it can be difficult to fall asleep sometimes because the ringing in my ears is so distracting.

Lethal

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

here is a guide.
    http://www.rcaanews.org/noiselev.htm
    An average conversation is 60 dB. A rock concert is 114 dB, and a whisper is 10 dB, lawn mower 96 dB,
    garbage disposal 80 dB, vacuum cleaner 70 dB, Jet flyover at 1000 feet 103 dB

50 dB quite
    70 dB moderatly loud
    100 dB very loud
    120 dB uncomfortable

23. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

I went to a Strung Out show in June of this year, and for the support acts, I was stood a little further back and the speakers on the right of the stage were blasting my right ear. It rang for a few days afterwards even when the left one had stopped.

Then, a month or so later, if I'd had music on my headphones, the next day I'd wake up and the ear had gone all funny. Felt like it was "full", and any bass frequencies at all made my ear "rumble". Turns out a wax plug had blocked up my ear and it took two separate visits to a surgery to syringe that ear. All sorted now though :)

I always take ear plugs to shows now. Well, I say always. I forgot when I went to Foo Fighters + Serj Tankian last week. :rolleyes:

24. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I hope that it has gotten better for you.

Same here with the tinnitus. I have had ringing in my ears since I was a teenager. At times I seem to tune it out. But as long as I can hear I am not too worried about it.

25. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yep! :mad:

Yep! :mad:

I've always worn hearing protection when going to concerts, playing music so I could feel it (used to DJ a bit as well), shooting guns, and flying turbine power AC.

In the real world, sometimes you don't have earplugs such as encounters with real weapons. Pistols, AKs, Maw Deuces, etc. make a nice racket when near them without hearing protection.

One time, many years ago we were scrambling to intercept some enemy targets and I jumped into my Cobra and hit the start button. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to insert my ear plugs. And once you begin starting a turbine engine you must continue or face a long delay before attempting a re-start. That was unacceptable because of the situation at hand, so I sat there through the minute of turbine ignition and start up from about 3-4 foot away. Unfortunately, due to how you must press the controls to start the Cobra, initially you cannot let go with one hand to close the door which would have helped a little. I still have problems with my right ear many years later.

Those were the days ... cranking and burning. :)

The problem with hearing loss is that it just creeps up on you slowly until you have it. So by the time you know you have hearing loss, it is way too late to do anything about it.