Went to apple store to see new RMBP - amazing but the scrolling lag is TERRIBLE

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wnxgenral, Jun 13, 2012.

1. wnxgenral macrumors 6502

I loved everything about it but when I compared the scrolling, it was a MAJOR difference. The non-retina MacBooks had perfect inertia scrolling whereas the new MacBook pros were really sluggish and very noticeable. This really only occurred in Safari but I mean how often are we scrolling on a web page... It's a lot.

These macs also had the newest updates.

Anyone else with other luck?

2. C4FF macrumors member

This Retina MacBook Pro is a shop floor model, the shop floor models DO NOT HAVE THE UPDATES INSTALLED TO FIX THE LAGGING ISSUES.

Apple have to go through a big update procedure to sort out updates on shop floor models because they work off an image that needs to be updated and checked BEFORE they can okay the update for store use (this happens after customer use).

If you go back to this machine and go into software update i guarantee you the updates WILL NOT BE INSTALLED. (go to software update - installed updates to check)

Simply running software update will not tell you as the software update system does not check online it checks on the in store server.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Could be why Mountain Lion has Core Image (I think) scrolling. They specifically mentioned that during the ML part of the Keynote on Monday. I was wondering why they mentioned that since inertial scrolling works perfectly on my 07 white MacBook with a multi-touch trackpad in Lion. Must be the RMBP's massive screen resolution.

4. Eriksrocks macrumors member

Same experience as you, the ones I tried also had the latest updates. Disappointing to say the least, although I imagine it can be fixed. The MacBook Airs I tried felt faster than the RMBP...

5. Eriksrocks macrumors member

Sorry, have to disagree with you. I tried a non-Retina MBP and a 13" MacBook Air at the same time and the difference was night and day...

I'm also not clear how an article about the PlayStation Vita counts as proof...

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

What I'm showing you is that Safari doesn't work properly in Lion, and it's not a good idea to test Safari in any resolution to determine how smooth the scrolling is. You want to use Chrome to see that.

I have a MacBook Air 2011 model, and a quad-core iMac with 16GB RAM, and they all have the exact same issues with scrolling as the new Retina MBP in Safari.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

What version of Safari are you using? Try 5.2 beta. I've had zero issues with lag on it.

8. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Everyone who has downloaded the latest update said it completely fixed it.

9. coupey macrumors regular

excuse my ignorance but how do you get 5.2 without being a developer?

10. WilliamG macrumors 604

All my systems are running 5.1.7.

11. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Google ;)

12. WilliamG macrumors 604

5.2 does indeed fix the issue, however it's not available to "most" people. In any case, this explains the laggy scrolling on the new MBP (and all Apple systems). It's a shame that Apple didn't get Safari 5.2 out for the new hardware.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Tis as shame indeed. Safari 5.2 beta is more stable and faster than 5.1.x ever was .. crashy POS.

14. John566, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

John566 macrumors member

John566

I have the new RMBP with 2.6GHz & 16GB. I have all the updates installed and it still lags quite badly. I also have 2 different generations of 27" iMacs as well as a 2010 13" MBA and a 2011 17" MBP all running Snow Leopard. They all scroll just fine - smooth as can be. My RMBP is a mess on most sites. Sites like The Verge & IGN are like scrolling on an old Android Phone.

As per the recommendation in this thread I downloaded and installed Safari 5.2 and it doesn't look any different. Chrome & Chrome Canary are both a little better that Safari but still no where close to all my older macs.

I love the Retina display but not enough to forgo the smooth scrolling I have come to love on my macs.

I also wanted to note that the scrolling in the app store is also pretty bad.

15. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Given that there's no issues with scrolling at 2560x1600 before, it should be a combination of even higher resolution AND additional processing for HiDPI mode. And it doesn't sound like stressing hardware too much but most probably not well optimized software.

16. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

I noticed a bit of lag too. I'm sure apple will update it.

17. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

this is a safari bug as its not smooth on the nvidia either.