Went to Apple to check out iPhone 6 Plus. Saw a guy steal. Apple/Security: Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof.

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago
I bought an iPhone 6 Plus the other night through Verizon. I did so without actually holding an iPhone 6 Plus so I decided to go to my local Apple Store in Oakbrook, IL today to see if I made the right decision (I did.) As I'm checking out the new iPhone, some dude in his early 20's takes a LifeProof case out of the box and stuffs it in his pocket and begins walking out. I tell an Apple employee and he tells me, "There's nothing I can do". So I follow the dude about .25mile and find a mall security officer - she doesn't seem the least bit concerned and basically says "Oh well."

So I take matters into my own hands and follow the dude some more. This whole time my 6'-7" little brother is behind me - i'm thinking he'd act as backup when I confront the dude. The guy starts heading to his car so I think I'll take a pic of his plate and send it to mall security or apple. My little brother comes up and says "Who gives a ****? It's just an iPhone case that cost apple $5" and makes me stop pursuing the dude.

Should I have cared as much as I did? Probably not. Should I have followed the dude? Probably not. Should people like him be allowed to get away with **** like that? Hell no.

On a positive side, I got to hold an iPhone 6 Plus for the first time. :D The photo is almost to scale.

Attachments

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Oct 9, 2011
I bought an iPhone 6 Plus the other night through Verizon. I did so without actually holding an iPhone 6 Plus so I decided to go to my local Apple Store in Oakbrook, IL today to see if I made the right decision (I did.) As I'm checking out the new iPhone, some dude in his early 20's takes a LifeProof case out of the box and stuffs it in his pocket and begins walking out. I tell an Apple employee and he tells me, "There's nothing I can do". So I follow the dude about .25mile and find a mall security officer - she doesn't seem the least bit concerned and basically says "Oh well."

So I take matters into my own hands and follow the dude some more. This whole time my 6'-7" little brother is behind me - i'm thinking he'd act as backup when I confront the dude. The guy starts heading to his car so I think I'll take a pic of his plate and send it to mall security or apple. My little brother comes up and says "Who gives a ****? It's just an iPhone case that cost apple $5" and makes me stop pursuing the dude.

Should I have cared as much as I did? Probably not. Should I have followed the dude? Probably not. Should people like him be allowed to get away with **** like that? Hell no.

On a positive side, I got to hold an iPhone 6 Plus for the first time. :D
i mean really who cares no offense but not your business lol,had that guy beaten the crap out of you for following him you would of moaned and complained

pullfocus

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
The reactions of everyone else but you (sorry, but your bro included) is why society is going to proverbial hell.

Prof.

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago
i mean really who cares no offense but not your business lol,had that guy beaten the crap out of you for following him you would of moaned and complained
He was 5'-10" tops, skinny and i'm 6'-4" and 230lbs. I would have been able to handle myself.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Keep in mind that certain products in Apple Stores can be purchased on your phone while you are there, and you are free to walk out with the item, no bag, and receipt emailed to you. Not sure if that is what happened here.

Prof.

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago
Keep in mind that certain products in Apple Stores can be purchased on your phone while you are there, and you are free to walk out with the item, no bag, and receipt emailed to you. Not sure if that is what happened here.
Not what happened at all, unfortunately. It was legit theft. :(

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
The reactions of everyone else but you (sorry, but your bro included) is why society is going to proverbial hell.
100% agree. We need to start standing up for what is right. Where is the line now? At what level of offense do we we stop saying "not my problem" and start saying "enough is enough"?

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
You should not have done that

You were acting on a dangerous amount of righteous angst.

Even if u read the individual it's illogical and potentially life threatening if you're in a ghetto area.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Oh that's ******** some one should have done something either Apple or mall security.
No. Store employees can't legally detain someone they suspect has shoplifted. Sure they can attempt to delay a suspect if the cops are called. But not over a phone case. But yeah, not sure what the mall security is there for though.

mikejg

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
The Apple store most likely has a policy that employees cannot intervene. My wife sold perfume at high end department store in a mall a few years ago and they would actually get in trouble if they saw theft and tried to intervene.

As for the mall security, shame on them.

Prof.

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago

Even if u read the individual it's illogical and potentially life threatening if you're in a ghetto area.
Oakbrook, IL is arguably one of the most wealthy cities in IL lol. I wasn't in a threatening situation. Had it been the Chicago apple store, I would not have done so. :p

pullfocus

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA

Oh, hello there, subtle racism.

----------

Oakbrook, IL is arguably one of the most wealthy cities in IL lol. I wasn't in a threatening situation. Had it been the Chicago apple store, I would not have done so. :p
Having grown up in Chicago, I don't think the Michigan Ave store is in a real "ghetto area" either.

Prof.

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago
Having grown up in Chicago, I don't think the Michigan Ave store is in a real "ghetto area" either.
That wasn't the point I was making, my apologies. I was just saying I wouldn't have felt comfortable following a dude into the subway or something.

pullfocus

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
That wasn't the point I was making, my apologies. I was just saying I wouldn't have felt comfortable following a dude into the subway or something.
Well, yeah. But that's just the "city instinct" kicking in.
Hell, after moving to LA, it's why I don't go to Hollywood Blvd after 10:00pm.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Apple stores around me have security staff inside, dressed in different uniform to the blue apple guys.

If you told the relevant security staff and they weren't interested there is nothing you can really do.

The thief is an ******* and hopefully karma will get him.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
With the number of people arming themselves these days, no way would I do more than report it. No amount of merchandise is worth more than your life.

EW800

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
More and more retailers are going to a do not stop or detain policy these days. Many are finding that it is just not worth the risk of how everyone is so law suit happy. It is sad, as it increases costs for all of us. I work in an area of loss prection in regard to internal theft issues, and can tell you that probably the biggest "do not stop" retailer right now is Old Navy. You can pretty much walk all over the store picking things up, wave to the employees, and walk right out the front door. Very, very sad.

pullfocus

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
More and more retailers are going to a do not stop or detain policy these days. Many are finding that it is just not worth the risk of how everyone is so law suit happy. It is sad, as it increases costs for all of us. I work in an area of loss prection in regard to internal theft issues, and can tell you that probably the biggest "do not stop" retailer right now is Old Navy. You can pretty much walk all over the store picking things up, wave to the employees, and walk right out the front door. Very, very sad.
Good to know. I need some new t-shirts, and I might as well jump on the "no personal accountability/entitlement badwagon.

CoilTap

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
OP, this is how you get yourself killed. You're not a cop, and if others in official capacity weren't interested in pursuing it, it's not your job to do their jobs for them.

Sure, maybe you could have taken the guy in a fight, but what happens when he pulls a knife or a gun? That's the reason the Apple store staff doesn't do anything - their lives and wellbeing aren't worth an iPhone case that, at cost, is worth about $10 to them.

TxExCxH

macrumors regular
May 16, 2014
Chicago
Oh this happened in Oakbrook? There was no danger.

Status
Not open for further replies.