Went to Apple to play with an Air while waiting on mine and...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GadgetGeek407, Aug 11, 2011.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

DAMN this thing is NASTY FAST!!!! I forgot how fast an SSD is... I opened up every item on the dock and BAM BAM BAM it opened up fast...even the NON HD camera looked all badass at the apple store but dang under those lights even Casey Anthony looks innocent!!! RELAX! I can say that, I am from Orlando :) I am really excited to get mine...

Now the question is, invisible shield and bookbook case or just a sleeve n no case?

2. fezman macrumors newbie

yeh mate it freaking rocks!
    I am loving mine, so much quicker then my old 13" MBP and much nicer to use.

3. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have the 13 pro i7 right now, is that what you had? which model do you have? do u miss anything?

4. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I say go for a case. I have a clear plastic Speck case on my 11" and it looks great!

5. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Clearly an LG display.

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I have the 13" i7, and I use a sleeve and backpack to carry it. I don't use screen protectors or any of that stuff.

I like the way Apple products look I don't want to cover that up with shells and stickers.

7. libertyranger10 macrumors regular

This made me lol...

Don't worry, I'm in Orlando too!

8. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Sleeve with no case, don't hide the beauty of this machine. My MBP I would put a case on if I wanted to waste the money, because this aluminum down't scratch and scuff that easily.

9. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

what brand/model backpack are you using?

10. misterneums macrumors 6502

11. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I'm also using the Tom Bihn Ristretto. It is large enough to carry both my iPad and MacBook Air. Along with all the necessary cables, flash drives, and other crap I carry. Some people might say it is a bit "man purse" ish but I don't care it works for me. Mine is Cocoa and Cayenne.

The bag is already padded but for extra protection it can hold my MacBook Air while it is in a sleeve. And my iPad with the Smart Cover attached. They both fit easily in the padded compartment.

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

No Case. Hands down, it's the way Apple designed it to be used.

It's not jewelry, just use it and enjoy it.

That's what I do, simple :)

13. chubucko macrumors newbie

First post here :)

Bought my 11" macbook air last week and so far....loving it <3

I put Ghost Armor on it and bought a laptop bag from fry's that first perfectly and works for carrying the air. Just a simple bag that fits some paper and a side pocket for the power adapter. Simple and easy ^_^

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

We may disagree on the carbon, but that's a dandy little satchel you got there. Reminds me of what we used to call a "[offensive term deleted] bag" in the Army.

15. misterneums macrumors 6502

The iPad version of that bag really can start to make someone self conscious about it (if male.) See below.

[​IMG]

And yes, the 13" Ristretto can hold an Air with a sleeve on it that isn't huge. The 13" in a Cache fits very snugly in the padded compartment.

16. eckthroi macrumors regular

I use the Knomo sleeve. Nice and stylish I think. I also am going to school so I chose the Level 8 Atlas backpack. It is meant for a 17inch but even my 11" fits nicely while resting in its sleeve. I think the two make a good combo. I would have liked a shoulder bag in a simple leather design like the Knomo however I need lots of room for school so I guess I will just have to wait to get a bag like I truly want.

17. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LMAO you guys are GREAT!!!! I loved the LG screen comment!!! Anyhow I am a used car dealer and carry a messenger type bag with like my dealer plates and so on. I wonder if I should just get a backpack that I can carry on my back which I can out my laptop in, Whats the difference between ghost armor, wrapsol and invisible shield and others?

18. Chiuy macrumors 6502

I currently have the MBP 2011 13" i5 with 120GB Agility 3 SSD.
    It's faster than the MBA almost 2x. I can boot my startup screen in under 5-6 seconds. Applications are opening instantly and games are loading 5x faster than standard HDD.

Tell you the truth, if you upgrade the HDD on the MBP to a SSD, it's faster than MBA's SSD. But it also depends, unless you want portability, go with MBA. (even though I believe the MBP13" is just as portable but with more power)

I currently have sticker skins on MBP and you can probably do the same for your MBA.
    http://chiuyphoto.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/CarbonFiber.jpg
    prevents scratches and i can easily peel it off without any sticky stuff on the laptop

19. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought about dropping an SSD on this baby but DAMN they are so pricey. I WANT like 256 i realistically NEED maybe 128 but the problem is If I get 128 on an air or even on this pro you have to cut corners and carry an external drive n this n that, it ruins the experience of being on the go and portability. I change laptops like every 6 months lol so I will use this air unless the 15 air supposedly comes out! I don't think I can deal with regular hard drives though...

Curious how much was your SSD upgrade?

20. Minhthien macrumors 6502

5-6 second start time? I would like to see you youtube it!

21. kilonet macrumors member

Is Speck case hard to remove?

22. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

You may have forgotten Zagg.:p Different people making different pieces of plastic with different properties and characteristics.

I've tried Zagg on the iPad, but didn't like it due to it being thick and tacky feeling. Others claim invisible shield turns yellow.

I've had the ghost armor install their clear covering on my iPad2, and I love it. Great install, and you can't hardly tell it's there. They've also installed black carbon on my Air, and eh, you can tell they were a bit rushed with that one. I think the kiosk got their black carbon somewhere else and installed it, either icarbon or wrapsol.

Despite a minor quibble or two about the install, I do like the black carbon on my Air (aka Blackbook Air), as it reminds me of the first black macbooks. Others like to leave the looks unaltered, so the clear is a good choice.

I posted a separate thread about the black carbon cover and the bookbook case. Ignore the stripe by the trackpad on the first pictures, I reapplied it myself to even it out after the first pictures were taken.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1206941&highlight=badassery

23. UCF Sam macrumors regular

Indeed, the Vertex 3 series is almost 2x faster, it uses sandforce 3. I gave some serious consideration to the MBP with Vertex 3, though in the end I went with the air. With the 20% amazon discount, the MBP with 120 Vertex 3 probably would have been about 100-150 more than the base 13' air. Because of some mixed reviews on the Vertex 3, the extra resolution and cost savings I went with the Air. Maybe someday I will upgrade if a sanforce 3 blade SSD becomes available aftermarket, thats assuming the reports I've read that the MacBook air has sata 3 are correct.