we're gonna have to start watching our data like we once had to watch our texts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aliensarecool, May 19, 2012.

1. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

anyone remember when unlimited texted wasn't offered?

anyways i'd rather pay a little more and have unlimited n just be sure that i won't go over ever. i've had times before i had a smartphone my internet would randomly connect and not disconnect and it ran my minutes up to heaven. i had a huge phone bill. i currently have unlimited on my verizon 4s, but it sounds like wer're gonna lose it. altho i did hear if u pay full price for your new phone then you can keep it. which i plan on doing because i'm in a contract

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You know, if you go over your plan they just charge you more money. It's not like they cancel your contract or take your phone away.

You already said you're willing to pay more, so there you go. A solution whose only downside you said you're ok with.

3. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

yeah but if i go quite a bit over, imo the overage charges aren't fair...at least from what i heard they were

4. dsa1971 macrumors regular

Are you really going to go over by more than 1 gb? Verizon charges $10/gb you go over. I don't really think that's unreasonable.

5. aliensarecool thread starter macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

i use like 8gb now according to my old JB data usage app on sbsettings

6. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Do you spend all day watching youtube videos?

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

Verizon sends warning texts at 50%, 75%, 90%.

And as on last reminder at 110% when you are over your limit.

Don't you think you should stop with the streaming data like YouTube once you hit 90%? It's just common sense.

So if Verizon has you on one of the new tiered data plans you will receive these warning texts. I think 3 warning texts before you go over is fair warning.

You can't claim ignorance either. You were notified. you can choose to continue with your streaming data behavior. Except it will cost you more. $10/GB more.

Or you can another choice. Don't upgrade and keep your unlimited data and pay full price/Craigslist/eBay prices.

Either way you will end up paying more

8. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Simply stream a radio station at work each day and you'll easily go over. I've gone to the low end 200mb data plan to save costs and I can't even stream radio in my car on my way to work for more than a couple days without getting an overage warning from ATT.

9. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Your car doesn't have a radio built-in? :confused:

10. DroidRules macrumors 65816

You should pay more as you're taxing the system more than the average user. Sorry but data hogs should have to pay for their large data appetite.

I know you're on unlimited but with the greater number of smart phones on networks it's time for things to change. The times of using 9, 10, 12 gigs of data a month are coming to an end. Heavy data users affect every ones connection to the network (within the area) so why should they suffer because you want to stream pandora 24/7? (or whatever you're doing to rack up 9gigs of data)

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

People in the USA with Verizon and probably AT&T will need to change their behavior.

Streaming pandora consumes 30-50MB per hour.

Streaming Netflix consumes 300-400mb per hour.

I have never understood why people at work stream audio at work. You are there to do work. Not entertain yourself all say with your music. Believe it but smartphone make workers much less efflient.

We have a cell phone policy at the surgery center where I work. No texting/no use in patient care areas. You get two warnings and third time you will get sent home without pay for rest of the day.

We offer wifi for our patients and staff. We block YouTube. We block Facebook.

12. BK. macrumors member

Damn, you Americans/Canadians/non-brits have no idea how lucky you actually are.

We're lucky if a provider gives us 2GB of data per month.

I'm currently on a $65/a month plan and get 900 minutes, unlimited texts and a measly 750mb of data month.

Although I've never gone over, and don't see the big deal. The only thing I use my data for is e-mails/iMessage/Twitter/Facebook on the go. For everything else, I'm usually already connected to a local wi-fi point.

I would never try/expect to stream when not connected to a local network. First of all the speeds would be dreadful. Secondly, 750mb data limit. Thirdly, the speeds would be awful.

You guys have very high expectations. The idea of trying to stream a movie to my iPhone through my provider's data (and not through my own wifi) is just hilarious to me.

It's an iPhone, but it's still a phone. You shouldn't expect to be able to do everything you can do on your computer on it for a few $ per month.

13. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Typical with good ol Americans.... gimmie gimmie but don't want to pay for it.

14. tigertazz macrumors 6502

tigertazz

Most of the UK providers don't offer more that 1GB currently. Only 3 (the company) offer unlimited data.

Saying that I'm on a grasndfathered contract with unlimited data. The only thing I cant do with it is sare my connection as the hotspot capability isn't enabled on my Plan. Big deal, I don't want to share my connection.

I'm planning on keeping my contract until I'm forced out of it or LTE actualy works in the UK and I have to change, like I did when 3G was enabled.:(

15. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

There are several conditions to keep Verizon unlimited, mainly keeping a 3G only phone.
    From what I was told, every LTE phone will require a LTE data plan. Once you change data plans, whether or not you have your own phone (paid full price)or a subsidized one, the unlimited option will be terminated.

16. saberz macrumors regular

I agree with you. I use my phone for work (emails and calendar). I do listen to music at work but would never use my phone to do it. I have an external hdd(250gb) filled with music and some nice headphones to keep it isolated. I am a Data Analyst and sit in a cube all day(i dont take lunch) so i do what i need to do to get through the day.

That or i could stream music through the pc but i dont so i can ensure im not at fault for congestion if it so should happen.

17. aneftp macrumors 68040

Verizon released a press statement on Thursday saying any unlimited data users can keep their unlimited (3G/LTE) data as long as they do not renew their contract (no subsidy upgrade)

18. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

T-Mobile UK also offers unlimited data now.

19. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

What about iTunes match, or iCloud, Dropbox, or all the other services that many use. Do these not use much data?

The smaller the size storage chips- kind of force you into and push the cloud products mentioned above. So if you are on a road trip using match and navigon; I imagine this can use quite a bit of data- exactly what the device is intended for.

20. tigertazz macrumors 6502

tigertazz

I stand corrected.

I forget about T-mobile because I only get 1 bar of service around me. O2 give best service in my area.

Just seen as well O2 now offer 2GB on 24 month plan with Unlimited texts and calls for £36 pcm :)

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    If you're williing to pay $700 full price for a device instead of $199 with a subsidy you can afford the $10 extra per 1GB data overage charge.
    With the $500 you're paying upfront you can go over your data for 50 months staight. That's over 4 years of additional fees you'll be paying ahead.
    Doesnt make much sense unless you're using like 10GB per month of data.

22. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Why do I steam audio at work? Or, listen to iTunes at work? So I am not distracted by others and can concentrate on my work.

Oc course, given your work environment, I am in fill agreement with you. Depends on the situation.

23. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I've been told that LTE data accumulates 5x faster than 3g so I expect a lot of people to have overages especially at the beginning when the next iPhone comes out.

I tried the Galaxy Nexus for two days last December and was shocked at how much more data was consumed just surfing the web on LTE. I expect this to be a source for a lot of complaints next fall.

24. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Why do you think they're trying to get rid of unlimited? They want to rack up those extra charges!

I thougt the iPhone was an iPod too..... hmm guess I was wrong.

25. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Unless you like to upgrade with each new iteration of the iPhone. Not having a contract means you don't have to wait 20 months to upgrade (assuming a single line).

Yes, it is a big expense up front. Probably $450 more than the subsidized price. But once you make that initial plunge for a non contract phone, it ends up being almost the same cost in the future.

For example, you pay $749 for an unsubsidized 32GB iPhone instead of $299. So you are out an extra $450, but you have no contract. Say the "new iPhone, iPhone 5," whatever comes out a year later. Your 4S will still have a decent value on the used market for someone looking to purchase a replacement, or a phone with no contract. Say you can sell it for $400. Then you buy the next generation of iPhone for an assumed price of $749 again. This costs you $350 out of your pocket after the 4S sale. Not a huge difference from paying $300 for a subsidized phone.

To me, it is worth it to make the one time big expense to not have a contract and be able to upgrade when I want to. An additional benefit is a full price phone comes unlocked.

So for some people, buying a full price phone and biting the bullet the first time may make sense for many reasons. One of them being the option to keep unlimited data.

Just my 2 cents.