Were some battery complaints premature

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by froll, Nov 6, 2011.

1. froll macrumors member

I am a newbie to the iPhone having come from many years of a BB. I too experienced what, like others, considered excessive battery drain. My issues were very similar to the complaints posted here and elsewhere. So I followed the advise posted my many member as well as CNET and other sources in turning off / disabling various services, battery conditioning by draining, etc. By that time, the exuberant novelty of the iPhone wore off and I started using it on a more practical basis albeit I use Siri quite heavily to dictate emails and text messages. Battery life suddenly improved dramatically (i.e., currently have 65% remaining with 4 hours usage and 1 day 4 hours standby)

There is no doubt that a battery issue exists for which Apple has acknowledged. However, could it be that many of us prematurely rushed to judgement? I thought I had a genuine battery problem since my stats were similar to so many others. Aside from disabling certain services which may be the subject of the Apple fix, could it be that once you settle into normal phone / internet usage, the battery life will suddenly improve dramatically?

I'm sure that some will "hose" me for this post but I thought I'd throw these thoughts out to forum members who are far more knowledgable and experienced in iPhone than I.

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Yeah I agree, Once the novelty wears out you start to realize what you need/dont need.

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I left all features enabled, clean installed iOS 5.0, and completely cycled the battery three times. Now I can use auto brightness (probably 60-100% on average) and all iCloud features (not Photo Sync - I don't want it) with all push notifications and get about 8 hours with some pretty heavy use. I think the calibration is off, because running the battery down from 100 - 80 is pretty easy but then it takes forever after that.

4. orange42 macrumors 6502a

You've only lost 35% after using it for 4 hours and on for over a day straight? Not even charging a little between then?

5. steveca macrumors 6502

i get lots of different results... it might be a little syncing issue with the charging left indicator... sometimes I go through a day and other times it looks like hours (obviously same kind of usage)

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

My complaints aren't premature. Same settings on my 4S as I had on my 4 and my battery is not lasting as long as it did before.

7. superdudeo macrumors regular

Amen to that. Probably 50% less efficient than my 4.

8. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Its probably psychological but One thing I've noticed is that my battery drain through the first 50% was ridiculous but the last 50% seems to drain much slower.

9. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I kinda feel that way as well.

10. sup3r1or macrumors regular

Can you post your settings please? because I cant get anywhere close to your figures even with everything off.

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

It's difficult to compare the 4 battery to the 4S because use, as you stated, is different. In August people weren't on their iPhone 4 hours a day playing with it. In October 4S users were on their phones 6-10 hours a day, it only makes sense the batter will be worse.

This is not to say there isn't a battery problem. But, I'm confident in Apple that a patch will arrive in a week or two (since they already acknowledged the issue).

12. superdudeo macrumors regular

If you have been using a 4 for a year or so, then no, it isn't difficult to compare. In fact it's much easier.

13. froll thread starter macrumors member

All locations off except camera, safari, siri & weather
    All notifications off except phone, messages, mail and calendar
    Auto brightness off. Set to about 45%
    Under System, all off except cell network search & compass

I don't think we should have to turn all these services off but until the fix is released this appears to be the bandaid

14. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I think the earliest you bought the new phone the biggest issue there is.

got mine a few days ago and made battery life is as good as the 4.

consistantly getting 7 hours usage and 1 day in standby.

all this is with icloud on, wifi, loads of notifications, push e-mail