Were the new MacBook Pro and Slate on the "24" premiere?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JimmyMacToo, Jan 18, 2010.

1. JimmyMacToo macrumors newbie

Had to rewind the HD DVR to double check it. At the beginning of the show Chloe is using what appears to be a current model 15" MBP. During the second hour of the show, about 15 minutes in, there is a scene with all of the CTU people around a conference table - her laptop changes.

Chloe appears to have a 17" MacBook with a gloss plastic casing in an aluminum color (reflective surface, not matte aluminum). Black keyboard. Looks like it has a chrome bezel around the screen like an iPod touch. Clearly Apple logo'd on the screen back.

They also pass around an orange tablet device. Don't know what that is, it has a slide-out keyboard, though. It appeared to be a functioning device. Could that be the Slate? Couldn't see any logos.

They also have a couple of smaller laptops with orange cases, possibly MB update in colors? My guess is those may be the candy color Dells.

Apple has been known to pay for product placements on these shows. What are the odds they would send prototypes for filming so their new products would show up throughout the season?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No they haven't.

3. JimmyMacToo thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry my bad on that. Although according to a Washington Post article, they have a habit of mysteriously ending up with their hardware on a lot of shows including a specific mention of an earlier season of 24. And while it's not technically "paying" for a placement, bartering equipment in exchange for showing it on a show isn't far removed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/14/AR2006041401670.html

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes of course. Apple has left behind the veils of secrecy and hands out their products to some film teams so they can use it in their production months before the release of both the film or episode and the actual product. It's done to have advanced advertisement as the www community of Apple users has gone down the hill lately and hasn't spurred much attention to the ongoing rumourmill and the forums regarding Apple products have practically come to a standstill and no lively discussions are existing anymore.

5. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Is this the same noob who said that the new iMac was on TV?

6. JimmyMacToo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, the new iMac was SWEEEEEEEEEEET. Seriously, I would be surprised if that orange tablet was really from Apple, just seemed a bit too clunky.

But I have not seen the laptop she was using on the show. Has there been a grey/aluminum color 17" Mac laptop with a shiny finish? I am not aware of one.

I'm just asking, if anyone taped the show and takes a look at it, please feel free to comment. It's there. 15 minutes into the second hour. This is not some "well I think I saw it on some show but don't remember exactly when" thing.

As for the "veils of secrecy". These shows have plenty of non-disclosure contracts, not unlike what the employees of Apple would have. That's why you never find out who won Survivor or the Bachelor or any of those other TV shows early. It wouldn't stun me if Apple sent prototypes for filming expecting to have their press conference prior to the premiere but it got backed up for whatever reason.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Apple reserved the place to hold the event last December, maybe even November, I just can't remember.

24 got its timeslot for the premiere in October I think, minus or plus some weeks.

Production of 24's eight season begun in late summer/early autumn if I recall correctly.*

So Apple gave them an unreleased product almost half a year before the actual release?

It took quite some months until the first Unibodies appeared on screen, and I highly doubt that if Apple will release a tablet, which might be groundbreaking, would risk early exposure like this.

24's production crew just used a good looking mockup I suppose.

But maybe that is all besides the point and you are just here to yank our chains.

* I'm currently working in the editing department of comedy show, filming began in July 2009, the first show will be broadcast in February 2010. It takes quite some time from start to finish for such TV products.

8. JimmyMacToo thread starter macrumors newbie

Good points. Again, the tablet they showed was a lot clunkier than what I would expect of Apple's design team.

You're probably right about about the long production cycle for TV. I imagine Apple wouldn't have prototypes or mockups until December or maybe early January for a new product to be released for immediate sale. And I'm sure the folks over at Fox found it to be a wise use of their budget to create a very convincing "future Mac" for a show based in the current time.

I just found it to be a strange coincidence that the actress is using a standard unibody mac in one scene and then in a later scene in the same room, she appears to have this shiny Mac.

All I'm saying is has anyone seen the scene?

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I have seen that scene now, and in the conference room where Chloe doesn't shut up and later at the debriefing, she uses a Unibody MacBook Pro with glossy display. It also has something like this applied to the outer surface: http://www.google.com/products?clie...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CB8QrQQwAg

10. JimmyMacToo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhh...that makes sense. The part the looked like a chrome bezel was probably just a reflection off the shiny edges of the wrap. Thanks!